BennieH

Steer Safe

Ordered a Steer Safe last week Tuesday, Arrived on Friday and installed the Steer Safe on our Monaco Sunday. Went for a test drive on an East/West section of the interstate. There was a 15 - 25 MPH Northwest crosswind. It made a major difference. Went through areas with trees and into open areas. Could hear the wind but barely felt it! Not like a trip we took to Indiana a week and a half ago. Crosswinds and trucks kept me busy.
I should have put it on when we bought the coach a year and a half ago.
I will never have a coach without it and highly recommend the Steer Safe!

2 hours ago, mtrimble said:

"We just got our motorhome and have heard about steer control and now "steer safe".  Can you tell me where you purchased this? THANKS,"

I went to the Steer Safe website (http://www.steersafe.com/) to read up on them. I called them direct to ask a couple of questions and ordered over the phone. 1-800-845-5504

Bennie,

Thank you for your post and information on Steer Safe.  We don't usually have an issue when big rigs pass us.  But, the ride in our coach can get pretty interesting during gusting crosswinds out West and highways with uneven driving lanes.

We've done a couple of things to improve our coach's road manners which include upgraded tires and shocks which has helped tremendously.  Also, before we enter West Texas towards New Mexico and Arizona I try to keep our fresh water and fuel tank as full as possible to help us stay glued down to the road.  I'm not sure if that helps much but from a physics perspective it makes sense to me.

I'll look into Steer Safe for an added improvement!

Blake

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between them. Both are good and reviews for them are good.  I went with the Steer Safe because I liked the simplicity of it as well as the fact it worked at each wheel and kingpin rather than on the steering linkage.

Just my preference.

Absolutely! Both are very good and a matter of personal preference and price.  There are even other options and we are all wise to check out the reviews.

Thanks.

Bennie, what part number did you order? I was browsing their website and I didn't see one listed for a Roadmaster chassis. I have a Safe T plus, it works but I don't feel its worth the cost, it didn't wow me.

I just called them and told him what I had and he sent the correct one. I'll have to go to the coach later and look at the receipt for the number.

I had Steer Safe installed on my 1985 Class C, at the factory in Deming, NM back in 1987 - made a 100% improvement. Next when we got our 1995 Holiday Rambler Class A, we had it added after driving it on two trips. It worked great again a 100% improvement. We have a diesel Class A and have not needed it. But our son just bought a new Fleetwood Flair 36 foot Class A. He said driving it home from the dealer, around 800 miles he said it was a hand full, remembering I had always talked about the handling of our motorhomes, he asked me and I told him how well Steer Safe worked foe me. He did some research and will have Steer Safe installed next week. I will let you know of his experience. Also it is a really nice company to work with.   

Has anyone had windshield breakage issues? I have a 2008 Tiffin Open Road with a front engine diesel. I have talked to Tiffin on 3 occasions and there are no recalls. But was told it was because of the curved wrap around windshields used back then. I called Freightliner and they had not heard of any issue like mine. I am getting ready to replace the 4th windshield ( the first was 6 years after purchase - now it seems like almost every trip I make). Any tips?  

4 minutes ago, jsuth6@sbcglobal.net said:

Has anyone had windshield breakage issues? I have a 2008 Tiffin Open Road with a front engine diesel. I have talked to Tiffin on 3 occasions and there are no recalls. But was told it was because of the curved wrap around windshields used back then. I called Freightliner and they had not heard of any issue like mine. I am getting ready to replace the 4th windshield ( the first was 6 years after purchase - now it seems like almost every trip I make). Any tips?  

You might want to creat a new post, the header would help you get better results.

7 minutes ago, jsuth6@sbcglobal.net said:

Were this my MH, the first thing I would do is verify I am following the leveling and slideout procedures exactly as stated in the owners manual

1 hour ago, jsuth6@sbcglobal.net said:

I am getting ready to replace the 4th windshield ( the first was 6 years after purchase - now it seems like almost every trip I make). Any tips?

Ok, tell me what is going on when it cracks, are you driving, on what kind of road? 

Bill

2 hours ago, jsuth6@sbcglobal.net said:

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

You might want to check the stabilizer bolt bushings for damage! One can crack the windshield when trying to level the coach.  Any kind of damage or loose parts in the front stabilized  will allow for some twisting action on the chassis. 

Learned that one the hard and expensive way!  We all tend to learn something new the longer we travel and drive around in motor homes.

Rich.