oldgrape

Plastic Dash Parts Deteriorated

Hi All. The hard plastic dash parts in my 06 Tour have been worn down by previous owners. The top layer or two has been rubbed off in several places. It looks as if they may have used it to brace themselves going in and out of the coach. Does anyone know how that can be fixed?

A couple of options: 1.  Winnebago makes their own plastic molded parts, you can order from them, probably big $$. 2.   Dash board covers by Josie, www.coversbyjosie.com

or 3.  possible from a rv salvage yard, just a few suggestions.

I don't believe that Winnebago sells direct to consumers, however there is a company right next door to them who have come across for me several times.

Give them a holler: Lichtsinn RV

There was a gentleman on the other Forum site that had a Vectra buy Winnebago and I think he said he took the parts off sanded them and painted them with a paint custom made in a spray can at his automotive paint store and it turned out good

Thanks for the replies. I contacted Winnebago and they no longer have the dash pieces for my Tour. I have read on a few websites that the problem may just be built up Armor ALL or other protectant that is coming off. I attached a few pictures. Does that look like a possible answer?

RV Dash 1.jpg

RV Dash 2.jpg

RV Dash 3.jpg

This might sound crazy. Interior trim paint. Match up a color, prep it and spray. I have bought used salvage yard parts before that were the wrong color and looked worse and that stuff was great.

Oldgrape,

Take a trip to your local new car dealership. Go to their used car department and ask who they use to help with the details on their trade-ins. Lots of them have folks that can come in and remove door dings, repair pin stripes and yes do seat and dash repairs. They will be able to repair and or repaint your dash panels.

Or better still, give your grand children some marker and let them work their magic on the spot. Then when asked you can say, "Oh the Grand Kids did it and I couldn't hang it on the refrigerator.:P

Herman  

Oldgrape,

Interesting wear pattern.  Looks almost like the original color dye or paint was worn off in this spot.  Nonetheless, easy fix.  Perhaps time consuming though.  I used to restore and show cars back in the "olden days".  When we had worn vinyl parts such as armrests and interior door panels we used vinyl spray paint.  There are many manufactures out there but I've found Eastwood's to be the best.  Link here:  http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=vinyl%20paint

I don't know if you'll be able to match and blend that small area but you can always repaint the entire piece.

Blake

Beings that I was in the automotive restoration business for 35+ years Jleamont and  Blake's answer hits it on the nose. Clean it first with a solution including TSP, rinse well and dry well. Mask of what you do not want to color and spray with a vinyl oriented spray paint. Another paint you could use since it is a plastic is SEM bumper coater. It comes in a wide variety of colors. Available at any store selling auto body supplies that the professionals use, Finishmaster comes to mind.

Bill Edwards

19 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

Beings that I was in the automotive restoration business for 35+ years Jleamont and  Blake's answer hits it on the nose. Clean it first with a solution including TSP, rinse well and dry well. Mask of what you do not want to color and spray with a vinyl oriented spray paint. Another paint you could use since it is a plastic is SEM bumper coater. It comes in a wide variety of colors. Available at any store selling auto body supplies that the professionals use, Finishmaster comes to mind.

Bill Edwards

I was hoping you would see this and chime it. this is right up your alley of expertise.

Thanks all for the great possible solutions. I did scrub it and cleaned of all the grime. It appears that the soft touch coating is what has worn off. It is right at the spot that would be the logical place for your hand as you enter or exit the coach. I tried soap and water and spray cleaners. Did not work much. I used Soft Scup with bleach and that made a good dent. Then I use WD40 and that cleaned the grime and stickiness off in seconds. I let it air dry, used the soft scrub again and put it back in the coach. You can still feel the slight line of separation where the worn area starts and the soft touch ends but there is no more discoloration. I'll see how long that lasts.:):unsure: