tricializ

Generator Won't Retract.

Hi all;
Seems like one thing leads to another. Opened up the generator slide out to add window washer fluid. No problem going out. But now it won't budget retracting. Any ideas? It makes the hydraulic noise like it's trying to do it, but no movement.  Thanks. 

On our coach the generator is extended by an hydraulic cylinder that is on only one side of the slide.  This can result in the slide binding, pushed a little off to one side and it won't retract.  The fix that has worked for me is to have someone hit the retract button as someone else is pushing on the generator.  A good shove will usually release the bind and it retracts normally.  To avoid this in the future, stop it's extension before it reaches the stop.  It might help to also lubricate the rollers and check the track that they run on to ensure it is clean and clear of debris like small rocks, etc.

Thanks. I think I also have something leaking in the hydraulic bay. I will have one of my friends come over and give it a shove. :) I did lube up the rails and will look for the rollers. Thank you. 

tricializ,

If you know that you have a hydraulic leak, you may just be low on fluid. Check your level and add if needed and retry moving the gen. slide again.  

You may have said it before but what coach do you have? By your description you have a DP. Please have the leak repaired asap because you don't want to extend the slide and it not return.

Let us know how you make out.

Herman

Thanks, Herman. There is definitely a leak. When I try to retract, it literally sprays oil all over the hydraulic bay and seems to be coming from the power unit valve assembly (or close to it). I have a Mandalay 2005 40E Cummins 400 ISL, Freightliner motorhome. HWH jacks, slides etc. The jacks will work but also sprayed out some oil and the slides seem to have no problem (but leaving them in at this point to not cause myself further problems). This is the dumbest question, but I would assume I add the fluid in the back of the RV in the Hydraulic fluid reservoir, right? That only shows a little low and I will get some fluid for that. But all the oil is clear and the reservoir is definitely the pink dextron III or whatever you call it. Thanks for any advice. I can't find anyone to service it and now my trip looks like it is off the table. So much for Disneyworld with the kids. 

Trish

Trish, the hydraulics for the generator slide...are they up front next to the cylinder for the generator slide? or are you leaking hydraulic fluid in the rear of the coach i.e. fan drive (if side mounted) or power steering supply also located in the rear with the Chassis Diesel engine.

Reason; if its just the generator slide hydraulic system, don't fill it up since the cylinder is out the tank will be low, not empty but low as the cylinder retracts the reservoir will rise from fluid displacement. Just get enough in to retract it, wipe off the excess and hit the road. Just make sure all fluids in the generator are full before retracting it and get it fixed later.

if you are feeling savvy look for the leak, if its a hose remove it go to a hydraulic hose shop have them make you one and reinstall it. If its anything like mine everything is right out in the open, my pump and cylinder are all next to the generator. One adjustable wrench and some elbow grease and you should be good, the shop will most likely have the fluid also...one stop shop.

Thanks. It is just me at home right now (husband fishing in Minnesota) and so I am limited in what I can figure out mechanically. Although I think I have taken a crash course in the past week. Anyway, the leak is definitely at the hydraulic bay up front under the driver in the first bay. It is covered in the oil and it literally sprays out of the top of the power unit valve assembly (where all the valves hook up it appears). 

oil leak.jpg

It may be a loose fitting. Most Likely you are low on fluid from the leak and that is why it won't retract. I  would re torque all the fittings and see if that will stop the leak. You will need to add fluid to the reservoir. 

Bill 

Those brass plugs to the right of the finger have O-rings under them, one loose or is there any evidence of the O-ring sticking out of one spot around the plug?

anything feel loose, can you wiggle any fittings, maybe remove a line and see if one is loose. Usually when one is loose the O-ring under it deteriorated and the fitting will be loose. It should be a relatively simple fix, if you see its an O-ring that failed they should be easy to come by. Any construction equipment repair place or hydraulic hose store should be able to match it up.

I was looking at the picture again and it looks like there is a drip on the b nut right in front of the finger. That is where I would start. I would re torque and wipe everything down, re fill the reservoir and see it it is still leaking. By the way isopropyl is good for cleaning up hydraulic fluid.

Bill

WD40 is also a good product to clean oil and grim. You can direct the spray to the area with the added benefit of the pressure. I used to purchase it in 55 gallon drums for our shop maintenance.

Herman 

Shoot! You guys have all of that neat hydraulic stuff to get your genset out?.  I have to get out, open the compartment door under the driver's side and pull a handle. I feel so low rent. As Brett once said when he wanted to call me stupid. KISS?

8 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

WD40 is also a good product to clean oil and grim. You can direct the spray to the area with the added benefit of the pressure. I used to purchase it in 55 gallon drums for our shop maintenance.

Herman 

I haven't tried WD-40, the benefit of isopropyl is when it dries it doesn't leave any residue and you can paint the surface. We use to use quite a bit of it cleaning areas with hydraulic leaks on F-35.

Bill

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I understand the cleaning abilities of isopropyl. My concerns are the flammability of it. 

Herman 

Yes just use good ventilation, a fan is nice. Don't over use it and wipe up any excess. Don't use it if you aren't comfortable. I don't recall of a single incident when using it. Probably would have heard if someone set a 155 million plane on fire.

Bill

On June 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, ObedB said:

Shoot! You guys have all of that neat hydraulic stuff to get your genset out?.  I have to get out, open the compartment door under the driver's side and pull a handle. I feel so low rent. As Brett once said when he wanted to call me stupid. KISS?

Obedb, it's great until it breaks. I am a firm believer of KISS also. Believe me it wasn't a selling point. I thought great one more thing to keep my eye on.

Most hydraulic system have means to manually reposition hydraulic cylinders by opening a by-pass valve which allows the hydraulic cylinder to be moved mechanically in either the extended or retracted position.  Once the cylinder in placed in the desired position the by-pass valve can be closed to secure it in the desired position.

I would check the coach owners manual to determine is the feature is available.

Jim