CPSdog4

Portable GPS Suggestions?

Can anyone provide feedback on the best gps units for RV's? We have a 41' A class and I want to make sure I buy the best one available. I appreciate any feedback.

Welcome to the forum. Personally I don't use a stand alone gps. I have been using CoPilot. You can download the maps when you have wifi so you aren't using data. I have it on my tablet and phone. You can select RV from the Vehicle Routing Profiles. I have been happy with how well it works.

Bill

I use the Garmin RV 760LMT.  We used in on a trip of 5500 miles last year and did not have any problems.  Even used it in the Jeep to get us to a parking garage in downtown Chicago - got us in and back out with no problems.  Of course I do not totally rely on the GPS alone - I also have Delorme Street Atlas on my computer and may look at FMCA and Good Sam Trip Routing and RV Trip Wizard.

I have used various GPS units with good success with some of them RV data.  Sometimes the RV portion is not accurate but most of them got you where you wanted to go.  Currently we use iPhones which seem to be adequate to get you there.

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. Personally I don't use a stand alone gps. I have been using CoPilot. You can download the maps when you have wifi so you aren't using data. I have it on my tablet and phone. You can select RV from the Vehicle Routing Profiles. I have been happy with how well it works.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I appreciate the feedback!

9 hours ago, lmsooter said:

I use the Garmin RV 760LMT.  We used in on a trip of 5500 miles last year and did not have any problems.  Even used it in the Jeep to get us to a parking garage in downtown Chicago - got us in and back out with no problems.  Of course I do not totally rely on the GPS alone - I also have Delorme Street Atlas on my computer and may look at FMCA and Good Sam Trip Routing and RV Trip Wizard.

Thanks, that is the one I was looking at. Sounds good.

7 minutes ago, desertdeals690 said:

I have used various GPS units with good success with some of them RV data.  Sometimes the RV portion is not accurate but most of them got you where you wanted to go.  Currently we use iPhones which seem to be adequate to get you there.

Appreciate it. Yes, the Google maps ap is pretty good, usually.

I've used a Garmin 3450LM (LM indicates lifetime maps, free upgrades)  since 2012.  I moved it from the coach to the toad for three years.  Last year I found a Garmin 2757LM at Walmart for $200 and purchased it.  I like the larger 7 inch screen, much easier to read on the dash of the motor home.  Now the 3450 is in the toad and serves as a backup if there is a problem with the 2757.  They both have the same maps which I've updated several times to get the latest information.  I've used these all over the US and Canada.  The were good in Newfoundland and Labrador last summer. 

We took the 3450 to Australia and New Zealand and purchased the micro SD chip with maps for both countries.  The maps were excellent, took us through hundreds of round-abouts in both countries.  I never found a problem with the maps in either country.  It was really nice to have a familiar GPS for travel in a foreign country.  I did have one funny episode in Australia.  I wanted to put in a route from our current location to Broome.  Every time I put it in it came up with a location in WA.  I'm thinking, why is it listing Washington.  After the third try I realized - Oh, dummy, WA is Western Australia!

When I first started using GPS, we checked everything against our paper maps.  Now it is pretty much just an occasional question about a particular route through or around a city.  Louise will override the GPS decision on occasion.  Otherwise, we find it to be quite reliable.  Neither of the units above are specific for RV's.  I've been quite happy without the RV specific units.  I set the GPS for Bus routing and use lowclearances.com  data for low clearance warnings and that works well.  I just recently updated the low clearance data for this travel season.

Garmin has several computer programs that work with the same map data for these units.  The latest is Base Camp.  It allows you to preview routes and construct several possible routes for consideration.  I also use the older Garmin Mapsource which works with my Garmin topographic maps as well.  I can plot a route and then switch to topographic maps which allows me to construct a route profile.  I can see elevations of the entire route on a graph.  It helps when planning routes near or through mountains.

We use the TOM-TOM 1605RV it has worked great for us. When we got it we got lifetime updates (very important to me). We update at least once a week and just before a trip. it lets you know about detours and you can use your smart phone it will route you around traffic. pretty good for the price. We've had the TOM-TOM for 5-6years and saved a ton of money on updates, and have not been routed on a bad road yet, such as low clearance, tight roads low weight zones or Bridges. you totally set it up for your Motor home or RV, Height, weight, width. and if you have road preferences, such as two lane, freeway toll or no toll road its pretty universal. You can use it for your toad, bike or box truck alls you do is change vehicle in the  menu.

I'ts just my opinion But GPS has saved my Marriage many times over..... 

18 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

I've used a Garmin 3450LM (LM indicates lifetime maps, free upgrades)  since 2012.  I moved it from the coach to the toad for three years.  Last year I found a Garmin 2757LM at Walmart for $200 and purchased it.  I like the larger 7 inch screen, much easier to read on the dash of the motor home.  Now the 3450 is in the toad and serves as a backup if there is a problem with the 2757.  They both have the same maps which I've updated several times to get the latest information.  I've used these all over the US and Canada.  The were good in Newfoundland and Labrador last summer. 

We took the 3450 to Australia and New Zealand and purchased the micro SD chip with maps for both countries.  The maps were excellent, took us through hundreds of round-abouts in both countries.  I never found a problem with the maps in either country.  It was really nice to have a familiar GPS for travel in a foreign country.  I did have one funny episode in Australia.  I wanted to put in a route from our current location to Broome.  Every time I put it in it came up with a location in WA.  I'm thinking, why is it listing Washington.  After the third try I realized - Oh, dummy, WA is Western Australia!

When I first started using GPS, we checked everything against our paper maps.  Now it is pretty much just an occasional question about a particular route through or around a city.  Louise will override the GPS decision on occasion.  Otherwise, we find it to be quite reliable.  Neither of the units above are specific for RV's.  I've been quite happy without the RV specific units.  I set the GPS for Bus routing and use lowclearances.com  data for low clearance warnings and that works well.  I just recently updated the low clearance data for this travel season.

Garmin has several computer programs that work with the same map data for these units.  The latest is Base Camp.  It allows you to preview routes and construct several possible routes for consideration.  I also use the older Garmin Mapsource which works with my Garmin topographic maps as well.  I can plot a route and then switch to topographic maps which allows me to construct a route profile.  I can see elevations of the entire route on a graph.  It helps when planning routes near or through mountains.

Thank you. Great details and advise!

11 minutes ago, royclem said:

We use the TOM-TOM 1605RV it has worked great for us. When we got it we got lifetime updates (very important to me). We update at least once a week and just before a trip. it lets you know about detours and you can use your smart phone it will route you around traffic. pretty good for the price. We've had the TOM-TOM for 5-6years and saved a ton of money on updates, and have not been routed on a bad road yet, such as low clearance, tight roads low weight zones or Bridges. you totally set it up for your Motor home or RV, Height, weight, width. and if you have road preferences, such as two lane, freeway toll or no toll road its pretty universal. You can use it for your toad, bike or box truck alls you do is change vehicle in the  menu.

I'ts just my opinion But GPS has saved my Marriage many times over..... 

Thanks! I hear you on saving the marriage!LOL By the way, what is the toad?