dianejobe@gmail.com

Colorado Campground - Beware of Cancellation Policy

Unreasonable Cancellation Policy at Dakota Ridge RV Park outside Denver.  We booked in April 2016 for an August 2016 5 night stay.  We had to cancel due to illness (canceled in June). When I canceled the reservation I was informed they would not refund my payment of $158.57 (which they referred to as a deposit). Yes, $158.57 - not the typical cancellation fee or one night's stay but the entire amount (1/2 of the total cost of my stay).  I was told by staff that when I booked I was informed, if I canceled, they would keep the full amount - I Was Not.  If I had been told of that outrageous policy, I would not have booked.  Don't know why anyone would!  I was also told I could apply the amount for a stay until the end of this year - really, I live in Arkansas.  We have never experienced this kind of greed at any RV park.  I emailed the owner and received no response (also owns Spruce Lake RV Park and Elk Meadow RV Park).

I feel your pain.  I stayed at Dakota Ridge a while back.  In guiding me into the campsite they guided my motorhome into a tree.  I know as a driver I am responsible but I was following the directions of the attendant.  To make matters worse I got zapped by low voltage and lost one leg of my 50 amp A/C circuit.  The owners of this park deny everything and would not even discount my stay of two nights by even a penny.  Needless to say anything I can do to keep folks from staying there is my mission.

Dianejobe & Jlandon,

Thanks for the heads up.  We are headed north through Denver area in a few weeks and will stay away from Dakota Ridge, Spruce Lake and Elk Meadow. 

Blake

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Sound to me like a need to place a review on rvparkreviews.com.

Herman

Yep, I agree!  I wouldn't say that site is universal, but a heck of a lot of people use the information there to make informed decisions on where to stay.

Back to OP.  Was the "none refundable amount", verbal or written?  Have been to several parks that the whole amount of stay, was non-refundable!  I knew that going in.  Now with the Internet, we can and should check out policy before making a reservation!  Or, just call and ask what their policy is!

That park is close by us and I think run by a concessionaire for Jefferson County as it is located on county fair grounds property. Just for the heck of it I will check this issue out.

Bill Edwards 

I just looked at their website.  They are a little pricey and looks like they nickel and dime you.  Also their policy states no refund of deposits.  Not a place I will ever make a reservation. 

4 hours ago, rsbilledwards said:

That park is close by us and I think run by a concessionaire for Jefferson County as it is located on county fair grounds property. Just for the heck of it I will check this issue out.

Bill Edwards 

Bill, actually Dakota Ridge is off west Colfax on the way to the old Heritage Square. The Jeffco Fairgrounds campground is totally separate.

Yup you are right, I forgot all about that Park. Yes they are pretty uppity, I have purchase propane there in the past and decided not again but I have forgotten why. Maybe general attitude. I think they maybe the way they are is because the park appears full most of the time and they are weedin out the "shady characters". No seriously, it is too bad as it is a great location. There are limited spaces on the west end of town to boot.

Bill Edwards

We too were ripped off by Dakota Ridge R V park last year. We had to leave 3 days early because of an injury ,& return home for possible surgery,I informed the office & asked for a refund but was denied ! I knew about the no refund policy , what I had a problem with is they rented my site that was paid for the 3 days ,shortly after we left. I told our friends to use the space to park on( because parking is tight) Management called our fiends to come move their truck or they would call a wrecker to move it !!!! Our friends told them I gave them permission to park on the site since I had paid for it & they refused to give a refund, they told him we don't care move the truck or we will ! after several phone calls to the management , several more emails still no luck with refund, complaints to chamber of commerce, better business bureau , good sams & still no luck. So we just put out bad reviews for them not because of the park but for their greed & poor customer service. when planing for a trip this year no reservations at any park they own !!!!! So if you stay at there campground or the 2 they own in Estes Park you have been warned, hope you refuse to stay also.

It seems this system has major management issues. Elk Meadow in Estes Park has been pretty much run into the ground and is one of the most customer unfriendly parks we've been to in 6 years of full-timing. Looking at their operation I just have to wonder if maybe is there some ulterior motive to chasing customers off? Is there some Colorado law that you can't change property usage unless you go broke?  

Every campground I spoke to in CO all has the same No Refund policy and they made a point to tell me their policy when I called them . They also had it posted on their website .