Sign in to follow this  
DJTNANG

TracvisionSL4

I am looking at buying a used KVH tracvisionSL4 system.  Does anybody have any experience with this system?  Good or bad?  Just curious what I may get into installing and using.

Thanks

DJ

2004 Vectra

I spent a couple of minutes searching on the KVH website and couldn't locate any unit with that designation. I recommend going with the Winegard Trav'ler unit, it's a little more money but worth it.

I found a Winegard Traveler (SK 1000) on Amazon for $1,205.00 Plus tax and free shipping. I got mine through Winegard at a special price since Winegard Road Track and Dish Network were no longer compatible. It is a very easy unit to operate. Push the power button till message read Winegrad Trav'ler Power ON . It goes and does it's thing and it is one. less then 2 minutes.

If you go to Winegard ask them if they have any SK 1000 re-manufactured units. They come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty. The new one comes with a 2 year parts and 1 year labor warranty. I oped for the reman. and I swear it is a brand new unit.

Herman  

On June 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM, DJTNANG said:

I am looking at buying a used KVH tracvisionSL4 system.  Does anybody have any experience with this system?  Good or bad?  Just curious what I may get into installing and using.

Thanks

DJ

2004 Vectra

I have the KVH R4SL, which I assume is what you're asking about.  They were a great dish a few years ago and still work (as far as I know) for DirecTV.  I used mine with DISH and it worked fine for getting HD from three of their satellites.  However, over the last couple of years, DISH changed their transmission protocol and the dish no longer works (well... except for the 119 degree orbital... very limited).

I decided that I no longer wanted a roof mounted dish, as you often can't use it because of trees, etc.  I went with a portable King Tailgater, which I really like.  They're relatively cheap (~$349) and work pretty well.  If I was buying one today, I would go with the Winegard Pathfinder X2.  It's very similar to the Tailgater, but is switchable between the eastern and western orbital arcs... which is nice if you travel a lot.

Hope this helps!

Ron