Robc1977

30 Amp Plug Made My Converter Smoke

I was running my RV off 20 amp and using a plug to run window unit and seemed to do just fine and all outlets were working good.

The A/C won't kick on with 20 amp but makes buzzing sound. I flipped breaker for A/C and just didn't use it. My step dad wired a 3 prong 30 amp plug so I could use 30 amp. I plugged it in and it started smoking out of the converter box .

Someone please help. I don't know what happened or what to do. I hope I can fix this issue cheap hopefully I didn't damage something. 

Robc1977,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Find out if he wired the plug as a 240 VAC:

2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground.

If so, likely you did quite a bit of damage to your RV's electrical system-- anything that was running.

An RV 30 amp is:

1 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground.

Suggest you get out your voltmeter and check. The "black, white and bare" is exactly what you need/should be no problem if properly wired.

Check at any "regular" house-type outlet in the RV.  The short straight is the hot.  Long straight is neutral. Round is ground.

So:

Short straight to long straight= 120 VAC

Short straight to round= 120 VAC

Long straight to round= 0 VAC

Yup, as already said, you need to find out what each of those "black, white and bare wires" were connected to/plugged into.

And, most 30 amp house outlets are TWO hots and a ground. That would put 240 VAC into any of your 120 VAC appliances what were on.

I like this web site, RV Electric, It not only shows how to wire outlets for RV's but also shows common wiring that is not suitable for RV's and how to test outlets for suitable supply.  This is basic information everyone who plugs in an RV should understand before they even plug it in the first time.  The site is very complete, it has 30A and 50A service explained and goes way beyond.  There is information on proper wire sizing, making adapters, and much more.  Keep this site handy for reference.