astmi

Norcold Fridge Recall Question

Norcold has recalled most of the fridge on the market. Mine is a 1200 LRIM. To comply with the recall, the tech installed a gadget to control the ain the chimney. The gadget will power off if the chimney overheats. But... this gadget is often defective. It is guaranteed for life (as per Norcold) but in order to get a new device, the tech will make a complete inspection of the fridge at a cost of 200$ +/-.

The tech says that the device has a tendency to cut power off if a few drops of water enter in the outside compartment where it is located.(after heavy rain for example).

Anyone had some experience with that device?

astmi.

Look and see if your refrigerator has the new reset able temperature sensor in the chimney stack. It should be located near the bottom of the chimney - it is a round looking disk mounted on a support separate from the heat canister.

Rich. 

I am on the 5th replacement for the recall fix that monitors the chimney temperature.  I have not been charged for any of the replacement, just the inconvenience.

Repair facilities do not stock the require parts and Norcold only ships parts after it is verified that parts are faulty, this usually required two trips to execute the repair.  Real pain is you are on the road.

Jim

Thanks guys. I do not have the resetable temperature sensor although the cooling unit is only 2 years old.

BYRD:  for each replacement, there is no cost for the unit but we face a charge  of a few hundred $ for the inspection of the fridge

Jim,

If your unit is on the Norcold recall list there should never be a inspection charge. If your dealer charged you then I would look for an other dealer. Sorry.

Herman

astmi,

I remember Huffypuff mentioning before when he would wash his coach if water was sprayed at the side vent it would shut his off, not sure if Ray is still chiming in on here or not. Be thankful its over sensitive, ours wasn't when I needed it to be.

ASTMI,

Our recall safety device activated last year and cut power to our refrigerator.  The red indicator light came on right after washing the coach.  After calling the manufacturer (not much help), our local RV repair facility and finally researching on this forum, I was able to reset it myself.

Blake

BLAKE,

In fact, it appears that a few drop of water or high humidity will activate the cut off switch. It can be reset once with a magnet but only once. We all have the same problem with Norcold. No support and good luck.

Another example of Norcold assistance: They will not supply the seals for the doors. They want to sell new doors at a cost of roughly $800 per door just because the seals have to be replaced.

"Nocold" strikes again !  I still don't understand why you all keep them !  Expensive, greedy and bad attitude...makes no sense to me !!!

Yea, I tried to jump onto the class action law suite against Norcold, I can't since I am not the original owner :angry:. The fact that their garbage tried to execute my family doesn't matter I guess. Sorry for the rant almost two years has passed and that thing still sours me.

On 6/22/2016 at 4:14 AM, jleamont said:

astmi,

I remember Huffypuff mentioning before when he would wash his coach if water was sprayed at the side vent it would shut his off, not sure if Ray is still chiming in on here or not. Be thankful its over sensitive, ours wasn't when I needed it to be.

Yes if power washed near that outside vent the mist can get in and trip the recall box.  Once the air is cleared I reset it with a magnet.  No other problems with it.  

5 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Yes if power washed near that outside vent the mist can get in and trip the recall box.  Once the air is cleared I reset it with a magnet.  No other problems with it.  

Glad to see you posting!