Sign in to follow this  
killmer

Xantex 458 Model 81-2021-12

My inverter/charger got fried in our RV.   I found out that the model we have is discontinued and was told that 81-2022-12 was the replacement one. The problem is my old model is 20/20 amps and the replacement model is 20/15 amps. I am concerned that since it is lower in amps if the new one will handle the load. Has anyone replaced their inverter/charger with lower amps.

Xantex has great tech support so they would be the one to ask that question.  They have always been easy to deal with, give em a call.

Kilmer, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The unit will work well. Could you post the part of the coach, the circuits from the inverter power ? for the group. Also include if your coach is wired for 30 amp shore power or for 50 amp service.

Think you will find that one circuit powers the kitchen area-microwave, ice maker portion of the refrigerator at least one duplex outlet in the same area, Unless you have made some modifications.

The second circuit often powers the Dining area and the Entertainment equipment, plus up to 4 duplex outlets around the front of the coach.

Your wiring could be set up different though, so that information would make the dissension regarding the current inverter compared to the newer version clearer.

Note, both units have a modified sine wave output ! Both units where installed in 30 amp shore powered coaches.

Rich.

I would try to spring for a PSW if at all possible. 20/15 I think means that one side is 20 amp while the other is 15, while the other probably is 20/20. Just food for thought, may never need the extra 5 amps but at 120 volts, that is 600 watts,  or 10- 60 watt light bulbs, or a small microwave

My husband spoke to the place that service our  RV and they tell us they install Magnum inverters over Xantex.   People seem to like them better.  They have  two 20 mps, bit pricey.

The coach is wired for 50 amp shorepower.    Your right Rich, circuit powers kitchen outlets, microwave, fridge and gfi outlets.  Yup, noticed that the power for the satellite was down too. 

killmer,

There is a company in Lewisville, Texas, National Indoor Storage & RV. Their name is a bit deceiving, They have some very good technicians. I took my Inverter/charger to them and they bench tested it. It was fine but they would have been able to repair is if there had been a problem. Check around your area and see if there is a National Indoor Storage in your area, It may be less costly to repair than replace.

Herman