jrwgust

Camping World Problems

I use CW for repairs on my Class A RV.  Other than details with warranty work--denied by Winnebago  -- I have been pleased by the work that has been done.  Recently I had to have the generator repaired.  The carburetor varnished up and was replaced.  While I had the RV there I wanted CW's service washing and waxing the unit.  It was unknown to me CW sub lets the work of washing and waxing.  This is where the problem arises, I am unhappy with the work that was done and above all else the attitude of the men who washed the unit.  It was just a wash no waxing, the finish is too oxidized.  When questioned, they got pushy with me, I pushed back.  They re-washed the RV,  I'm still not happy. 

Jr.

Welcome to the Forum.

If CW sub let the job out, I would not have dealt with the sub, but straight with CW. They are the one responsible for the end product. 

Herman

Give us an idea of where you are located and maybe some one knows a good RV detailer in your area.

In the mean time, when you get your credit card statement, put the CW's charge under protest. That will get their attention and maybe, just maybe they will resolve the issue.

Herman 

CW strikes again!  They never seem to get an "A" on the report card...always a negative!  I used them a lot, prior to Marcus Lemonis take over ( the owner of CW & GS)! :angry: I don't use Good Sam anymore either.:P

When I worked at an RV rental location, those doing the washing of the units were very poorly educated, the lowest paid of the workers, and I don't think they own an RV or get to enjoy the RV life.  On the other hand, I know nothing about the wash and wax contractors at CW. 

There are high-end detailers where I live that are very detailed oriented and knowledgeable about doing a good wash and waxing. Of course, the price charged for that service is quite high, but then they meet my expectations, and from time to time they detail out an RV. 

I will concur with most of this thread and about Camping World. Here is the rub, is the finish oxidized, dull and not shiny? If it is no amount of washing is going to help it! It needs a wheel polish to bring the finish back to life. No amount of wax is going to help it either. Depending upon what the finish is, fiberglass or paint, it will be a couple of days worth of work at a minimum for a small crew to bring back the beauty to the finish. Then the coach owner has to do their part to maintain it.

Bill Edwards

Our last coach had bad oxidation (no paint), bad enough water would leach through the glass (i'm pretty sure the previous owner never washed it let alone take care of the exterior). While it wasn't cheap I had a mobile service that came through a CG in Florida wash, wax and condition the fiberglass, clean and treat the roof, shine the tires, clean the awnings etc, the old girl looked like new and they charged me $450.00 to do all of it. Our coach was 11 years old at the time and I thought that was a good deal. Its not a simple job and you have to know what you are doing for the end result to look good. They told me had it not been for the oxidation or if I had full paint it would have been $250.00.

Once upon a time, I had a coach with oxidation.  3 of my friends and I, used a fine grit rubbing compound and it took 2 days off cleaning just to get rid off all the oxidation.  It was all hand and arm power, we had no buffer, then we washed and hand waxed...good result, but not like original...I can still feel the pain when I think about it!  flew out for a job in Middle East the day after.  Gone for a month, guess what my DW did while I was gone? :huh: New coach...it's illegal to kill them! :P I was happy she did it, but we could have saved a lot of pain and suffering....the old coach was worthless! :wacko:

Carl

Ours is a gelcoat that still looks new, but the graphics are decals I am guessing. Gotta polish them up. Hope regular car polish will work?

NO, do not use wax, rubbing compound, etc on vinyl decals.

303 Aerospace IS the correct thing-- both for restoring looks and giving them some UV protection.

We use car wash, the ones that say no spotting and a soft brush and a mitt type on long poles. Together it takes us 30 minutes per side with good water flow. Dry with towels on end of long squeegie pole.

New paints they use they told us don't need wax but we have used McGuries Detailer, and Mc Guires synthetic spray wax. Spray on wipe off with Micro fiber towels or rags.

Ain't going to do it again though. I will hire some Grandchildren of an RVer at a Campground or someone. Bring your Grand Children Rving and let them make a fortune..

Somehow I bet there is something wrong with this plan.

A bit off topic, but:  We tried to buy our first Class A from CW/Biloxi, MS.  Advertised prices seemed very favorable.  Sat down to close; they brought forth over $3,000 in previously-unmentioned fees, including $1,865 "acquisition fee," which they said was to cover picking the RV up from the previous owner.  We got up and walked out -- permanently, all CW locations.. 

UrbanHermit,  when we negotiate, to buy a car, truck, RV, I let the sales person know that I worked in a technical sales area for almost 40 years and had probably read more books on sales and attended more sales seminars than they had.  I work on one price number or I am out the door.  I want one price, including all taxes, fees, etc, out the door and nothing else.

We were buying one truck years ago and when we got back to the finance office, he starts the add game for a "Protective Finish Sealant", etc.  I reached over grabbed the contract, pulled off my check and ripped the contract, got up and walked out.  By the time I was back to my car, the salesman and manager had caught up and were upset.  Said I could not just rip it up and leave.  Told them, no sir, and got in my car and left.  Later that day, I got a call from the owner saying that they would honor the deal and wanted me to come back.  Told him no way unless they dropped the price another $500.  He came back and said he could do $500 more in accessories of my choice. 

I really detest auto and RV sales people.

Ken

TX, I do the same thing in a little different was. I tell them what I will pay. Like I wiil trade my unit and write a check for say $10,000.00. Nothing more. They will repsond but there are Taxes and  fees. I tell them they can figure all that out of the $10K. They stammer, they stutter, then they make the deal. Did I get a good deal, how the H do I really know, but I got my deal not theirs.

I also hate care sale people and tell them up front that I do.

One thing I have allways noticed that most pre-owned RV dealers (sales people) are a lot more laid back and easier to deal with. Never any pressure and they will tell you up front what is or isn't wrong with the RV. JMHO

Herman

Protest the charge to your credit card company. I bought 2 bikes at the last Perry GA rally and CW billed me twice. I called American Express to protest the charge and was told CW would have 30 days to respond and if they did not the charges would be removed. CW did not respond so all the charges were dropped . 

So I won!

Herman.  Sorry, but I beg to differ.  Only one used coach dealer in my life, has been up front with, "this is what's wrong with the coach, that we know off"!   No more a general rule than a used car lot.

CW suck and anyone who buy's a new or used coach from them, have to be on top of their game or get hurt bad!  Back in the mid 1990's to 2008, it was not that way, I bought 2 coaches from them, along with after market add on's, and replacements...never a problem!  Then Marcus Lemonis came along and everything started going bad!  Try PPL instead.

We bought our current 2006 motor home in 2008 from Camping World in Indianapolis. It had 3,000 miles on it and many after market add ons. We asked why the first owner had sold. CW called their buyer to find out. The story was that the owner wasn’t retired and wasn’t getting good use. It was bought from a bank in Ohio. We figured it was a repossession. 

On 5/6/2020 at 8:00 AM, UrbanHermit said:

A bit off topic, but:  We tried to buy our first Class A from CW/Biloxi, MS.  Advertised prices seemed very favorable.  Sat down to close; they brought forth over $3,000 in previously-unmentioned fees, including $1,865 "acquisition fee," which they said was to cover picking the RV up from the previous owner.  We got up and walked out -- permanently, all CW locations.. 

Welcome to the forum.

What RV are you looking for? I have just gone through the process of buying a RV and selling a RV so I am curious what you are looking for and where you are looking. So now you know about Camping World.:D

Have you looked at PPL Motorhomes https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

or National Indoor RV Centers https://www.nirvc.com/Sales ? After doing business with NIRVC You want to tell Camping World to take lessons. I can give you more info if interested.

Bill