mikey229617

Can't Connect RV TV to HDMI Cable

We recently purchased a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX35.  The coach did not come with an interior CD player, but an HDMI cable was installed from the front overhead bin, back to where the midship television is mounted.  Unfortunately, the cable was not connected to the television.  The problem is, we cannot determine how to dismount the television so we can connect the HDMI cable to it.  It does not swing out or up, and will not budge an inch when we try to slide it up or sideways to dismount it.

Nothing in any of the manuals on how the TV is mounted.  Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was the solution.

Thanks.

Calling Mfg is a good start, however, most of the installations I have seen provide an access cover through one of the side cabinets/walls.  Well, 99% of them, and Winnebago has been known to do things differently.  Example: with our original configuration I wanted to add some devices and I called Winnebago. They said that the access to the back of the TV was behind the shower wall.  Hmmm! Have to pull the shower out to get to the connections - not going to happen. I replaced the TV and added a full articulating arm.

The call to Winnebago wills tart the process.

Carl, I'm not kidding. That is what service at WB told me. Doesn't matter because I got rid of that 117 pound albatross and put in a 40" LED. I still need to do the bedroom TV.  There is a little 15 inch or so in there and it is tighter than a drum.

Wayne, 

I have a 10 lb. sledge and recp. saw and with them I can get to most anything. May not be pretty but effective. :-).

Of course with my method your shower might leak.

Herman 

Wayne, If the LR TV connection was behind the shower...where is the bed room connection?  Behind the closet ? :wacko: or the engine fire wall? :blink:

Carl

I assume that this is a flat screen TV. I had a problem with the TV on my last coach similar to what you describe. It was very frustrating having a good TV, with all kinds of connections on the back which i could not access.  I found that the bracket has a "tab" which locks the TV to the bracket. I had one of those mirrors on a stick which I was able to work behind and see what was preventing the TV from lifting off the bracket. . I eventually was able to work a coat hanger in behind the TV, to release the tab.  Then the TV lifted off no problem. Needless to say I bent the tab so it would not lock in, thus i was able to remove the TV, whenever I wanted, so as to make connections to the back of the TV. 

I think the lawyers are mandating  that the TVs be anchored securely so as to avoid lawsuits if the TV moves while under way. 

5 hours ago, Manholt said:

Wayne, If the LR TV connection was behind the shower...where is the bed room connection?  Behind the closet ? :wacko: or the engine fire wall? :blink:

Carl

Nope, behind the TV. Satellite hook up is in the closet which is perpendicular to the location of the TV and 5 feet away.  Back wall is all closet wall to wall. I have not even tried to remove the BR TV but It looks simple with some screws on the side of the unit with buttons over the head.

2 hours ago, uechiyondan said:

I assume that this is a flat screen TV. I had a problem with the TV on my last coach similar to what you describe. It was very frustrating having a good TV, with all kinds of connections on the back which i could not access.  I found that the bracket has a "tab" which locks the TV to the bracket. I had one of those mirrors on a stick which I was able to work behind and see what was preventing the TV from lifting off the bracket. . I eventually was able to work a coat hanger in behind the TV, to release the tab.  Then the TV lifted off no problem. Needless to say I bent the tab so it would not lock in, thus i was able to remove the TV, whenever I wanted, so as to make connections to the back of the TV. 

I think the lawyers are mandating  that the TVs be anchored securely so as to avoid lawsuits if the TV moves while under way. 

I had no problem removing the TV. It was a 30" TV with an overall outside dimension of 36".  Yes, two screws on top held it from falling forward, and two bolts up through the two shelf entertainment cabinet held it steady.  It was of old vintage with the hump back but it was fully digital.  Now with a full 36" TV in the hole on a full articulating arm makes it simple to pull out for the speakers or to get to the connections.  Most newer TV's have the speakers underneath or on the sides and behind the full frame of the TV with the speakers canted out. With the TV pushed back into the slot the speakers would be covered up. It has to be pushed back and secured so the slide will come in and go out. There is about a 3" clearance for the slide. If the slide is in - no watchie TVie.

Also, a secure TV when traveling! :)  You might want to pad it with some foam, in case it moves...won't hurt TV and it will dampen the bang of a sudden STOP! :rolleyes:

Carl 

Why are so many sub systems in RV's made so the part can be assembled but no reasonable service is possible.  Reminds me of a car in the 70's where you had to disconnect the engine mounts and lift the engine out part way to change a spark plug.

My water pump was installed before bathroom floor was installed so I have 2-1/2" clearance for my hand and a stubby screw driver but after unscrewing 1/2 of the screw length there is no room for my hand. Oh ya the mounting screws can not be seen as they are hidden behind heating ductwork.

This is one of the downsides of short warranty. If the company never has to pay for service of a part they don't care it the part is serviceable or not cuz the cost is on the owner not the company.

Tireman9, your post reminds me of my old 1966 T-Bird, no 8 plug went unchanged until I finally raised the carpet under the brake pedal and used a smoke wrench to cut a hole, then made it a removable plate. Back then we had to change plugs every ten thousand and the points and condenser every five. Good old days, "HUMPTH"!

Once had a Pontiac Feiro. There was a recall on the motor mounts. When I took it in for the recall the service writer asked if I wanted to change the spark plugs.:huh: I asked why and he explained that to change to mounts they had to pull the engine and that when they had to change the plugs they had to pull the engine to be able to replace the 3 plugs on the back side of the engine. Even back then to R & R the engine it cost $350.00.:o I oped to change the plugs which only cost me the price of the plugs.

I have always said that before any person is allowed to design an automobile they must have had a minimum of 5 years as a mechanic. That would change the autos as we know them today.  

Herman

On 6/30/2016 at 4:51 AM, Manholt said:

Also, a secure TV when traveling! :)  You might want to pad it with some foam, in case it moves...won't hurt TV and it will dampen the bang of a sudden STOP! :rolleyes:

Carl 

Trust me, it is strapped in and tight against retainers. I use foam on the straps rounding the corner.  It is anchored securely when traveling.

Wayne,

You are correct, back to the original post. I went and reread the OP and have a question. Mikey said that there was an HDMI cable ran from the front over head bin to mid-ship. I don't think a CD player is connected to the TV with a HDMI cable but with an Audio Video Cable, (Red, White and Yellow). Am I incorrect. I think what Mikey is calling an HDMI cable is in fact a Coax cable. The Coax would be there to connect two TVs to one source of input.

Herman  

That's normal, unless you specify otherwise, even on a new unit, especially a W ! <_<  On my current coach, we (they) had to re wire.

That 5 years would work on Coach's also!

Carl

I am surprised you do not have a CD player.  My 2012 Vista 35F had the DVD player built into the Jensen stereo in the dash.  You had to pick the appropriate input from the TV but it played from the dash player.

Otherwise, the wall mount can be unscrewed from the TV to gain access to the back of the TV and cables.

Ken