jcshoe1982

Towing Car With Push-button Start

The wife and I just bought a 2013 Ford Edge Sport which has push button start instead of a key.

My question as I have never flat towed behind my RV and the owners manuals are not always helpful. Am I able to just shut the car off after I go through the 5 min process of running the engine and placing the car in neutral and not worry about a battery drain?

I know the push button start vehicles do not lock the wheels when they are off. Thanks for any info.

Jason Shoemaker

2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Jason,

I have a 2013 Lincoln MKX which is supposed to be like the 2013 Ford Edge (Don't know about the sport) and my owners manual states to put (push button) the car into accessories mode. I run the car for 5 minutes or more, shift the gears and go from drive to revers and back to neutral, push the button to turn the engine off and then push it again to put it into accessories mode. I also make sure that I turn off all auto functioning features such as lights, windshield wipers and then I put the display, through settings, to the off position.

I have had situations that when I arrive somewhere the battery is not strong enough to start the car. While I'm unhooking I hook up the Battery Minder and by the time I am unhooked it will start.  What I have done to alleviate that is to stop about two hours or so on the road and start the car and let it run for five minutes. Usually it is around lunch time so it is not an inconvenience.  I repeat the process for towing before we head out again.

I sent an email to the Ford engineers and the reply was that in the accessory position the system acts differently (they did not explain) and the car should be in the accessories position for towing.

Trust the manual.

Hope that helps

Wayne.

Thanks for the info very helpful I will look into maybe one of those toad chargers or like you said start the car during a stop along the way. Much appreciated

Jason

We have a 2012 edge. We installed a charge line and have no worries. We do not run in accessory mode- we just shut the car off (in neutral). Chuck Stewart 

My wife and I have RV'd in 46 of the lower 48 states and have had tow vehicle issues nearly every time.  We now have a 2011 Ford Edge and attempted to follow the instructions in their handbook with little luck.  The car's battery would fail every time.  Finally, a service person at a Camping World suggested simply removing the negative cable from the vehicle each time. Be sure you keep a key to enter the car afterwards.  We still had to be sure to not leave the emergency brake engaged, and put the vehicle in neutral.  We also purchased a set of stop lights with a magnetic base to mount on the rear roof of the tow vehicle and connected it to the RV's brake lights. We have not had an issue since. I keep a pair of work gloves, and a socket wrench inside the rear passenger door to reconnect the terminal each time we disconnect the car.  I don't know if this is recommended.  But, it works for us.

Wayne

Wayne,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I am curious-- how do you power your auxiliary brake/what auxiliary brake do you use that does not require 12 VDC?

Good question Brett. 

If I am towing on a long day I just start and run the car while we are eating lunch. I have never had a battery problem. Well OK, I one time I got to my destination and left the car hooked up till late the next day and forgot to turn it off and it drained the battery.

Bill

First of all I'd look in your owner's manual as it will probably have a very good explanation of what to do step by step.  Please don't guess at what to do.  My 2011 Jeep had a push button start and have a very specific routine to go through to tow.  MY 2015 Jeep also has a push button start, but different and specific routine to go through to get in and out of neutral.

Well, I was hoping to see a Ford Engineer's response as to why the ignition has to be in Auxiliary because it does not have a locked steering wheel.

My brakes are air from the Motorhome and the lights are from the motorhome.  Push button start or aux button doesn't seem to do anything except power things like the radio and dash items.  I do follow the manual because I don't want to deal with a Warranty refusal "because the manual says so". 

John,  2014 Edge Sport

Further down the page on towing, you will run across "Cherokees"...anything but KISS...:rolleyes::blink:

Carl

We have a 2015 Ford Edge Sport which is required to have the battery disconnected when towing, which according to Roadmaster Towing Equipment is to keep the electronic transmission from accidently shifting into gear when being towed. I had Roadmaster equip the vehicle for towing and they installed a solenoid battery disconnect controlled by a "tow/drive" switch in the drivers lower side panel. It works perfectly and the Edge is the best tow car I've had in over 15 years of towing behind a motor home. You do the same routine of running the engine for 5 minutes before towing including running through the forward and reverse gears before turning the engine off and then disconnecting the battery. Of course, no drain on the battery while towing.

Thank you every one for your input and experience with your Ford products when towing behind an RV. I realize if I had wanted to keep it simple I would of kept my wife's Saturn Vue but I didn't and I am not about to go buy a Jeep either as I have no interest in owning a jeep product. Ill get my edge set up with a charge line and should be good to go thanks again everyone.

Jason

Another good set of Ford products to tow are their Escape/Mariner hybrids. They stopped making those in 2012, but they are towable four down up to 70 MPH, and no need to run the engine during the day. We have a charge line on our 2010 Mariner, so no battery worries, and use a Blue Ox brake-buddy type as it is designed to work with hybrids.  Works great, and no problems in nearly two years of towing.

I have one, it is in a storage compartment as I have never installed it. I haven't had a problem with my battery as I start the car when I am eating lunch. 

Bill

This is my 3rd battery. Original and about 1 year later a new one, and now another one and they just go bad.  This present battery's diagnostic was that it would not hold a charge.  That was the same as the 1st and 2nd battery. 

I had pondered that the TOADs brake lights could have been drawing the battery down but then realized that I have a diode system with separate wiring from the MH and not using the TOADs battery for braking. 

I also stop every 2 hours and start and run the engine for 5 minutes or a little longer but with a battery that will not hold a charge - just doesn't work.

I'm going to get some type of charge line. Frustrating to arrive and not be able to start the TOAD.

I have a push button start. Steering wheel doesn't lock. That would be the only reason for putting accessory power on. I simply ran a power line to vehicle battery from my 7 bladed tow Connector. I also ran a 12v receptacle for the brake from the toad battery. Just a visit to auto zone. No problems.

billnagle.  Welcome!

What do you tow?  What kind or make, brake system do you have?  Would also be helpful to know make and model of coach?

All information that is used for a diagnosis too Original Poster (OP) , will be useful to all others that have the same question in the future.

Carl

Have a 2012 Jeep Overland.... had wire and bulbs installed in exterior rear lenses, added the charge wire ... but every since I had battery issues while towing long distances in past years, with previous toweds,  I have used a battery jump starter unit to always supply the power for the brake system... charge it before trips, charge during evening stops , set it on floor in passenger side, plug the brake system into it and that way, the toad electrical system is never used in any manner what so ever ... no concerns on the toad battery ever going down.. and I can use the jump start charger to help others with dead toad batteries.