Sign in to follow this  
susan.charles@windstream.net

Refrigererator Error

The Dometic refrigerator in our motorhome is flashing between the temperature and E 1. I can turn it off for a few seconds and it goes back to normal. Sometime within a few hours it will start flashing E 1 again. The user manual says this code means there is a hardware fault in the gas operation system. It only does this when it is in the ac mode. I recently had the ac disconnected for a few days and it ran on propane without flashing the error code. It is cooling fine in both modes. The motorhome was purchased by the original owner in Feb of this year. We purchased it in July so the factory warranty doesn't apply. I knew this but I called dometic to see if this was a common problem. All she could tell me was what the user's guide told me. I have an extended warranty and we have a campimg world nearby. I will take it to them when I get a chance but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks for any info. ccmsm

The Dometic refrigerator in our motorhome is flashing between the temperature and E 1. I can turn it off for a few seconds and it goes back to normal. Sometime within a few hours it will start flashing E 1 again. The user manual says this code means there is a hardware fault in the gas operation system. It only does this when it is in the ac mode. I recently had the ac disconnected for a few days and it ran on propane without flashing the error code. It is cooling fine in both modes. The motorhome was purchased by the original owner in Feb of this year. We purchased it in July so the factory warranty doesn't apply. I knew this but I called dometic to see if this was a common problem. All she could tell me was what the user's guide told me. I have an extended warranty and we have a campimg world nearby. I will take it to them when I get a chance but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks for any info. ccmsm

If I understood you to say the original owner purchased the coach (new) in February of '09 and you purchased it in July of '09, then all of the warrenties are still in effect. However if it wasn't new when the original owner(?) purchased the coach, Good Luck on the extended warrenty. Follow the rules to a fault. Get the names and ID number of everyone you speak with. When you get approvals from them have them fax you a confirmation. Down on paper is so much better then hearsay.

The original owner did purchase it new in Feb of this year. The user's guide has a page in the back concerning the warranty. The first sentence says the warranty is made only to the first purchaser who aquires this product. I knew this before we purchased it and that's why we bought an extended warranty. The refrigerator works fine except for that annoying E 1 flashing light. I thought about putting a peice of black tape over it but my wife wouldn't let me. ccmsm

Susan and Charles,

Since you have contacted Dometic and they have not been able to diagnose the problem over the phone you most likely will have to have the refrigerator physically examined at a service center. There are really two warranties when dealing with motor homes. You may not have the original manufacturers warranty on the motor home but each of the components, refrigerator, microwave, toilet, inverter, etc. may have its own warranty from its manufacturer. Thus you may find that Dometic will still honor their warranty of the refrigerator even though you are the second owner of the motor home. It is worth a try, in fact your extended warranty company may require that you use the Dometic warranty first and then after it expires their warranty coverage will kick in. In order to keep your extended warranty in effect you have to follow their rules.

When Herman and Bobbie said "Follow the rules to a fault." That means that you should read the whole extended warranty very carefully. They have a whole set of requirements which are like hurdles. If you stumble on any one, you have lost the race. They usually require that you call them before any work is done. They may specify where the work is done, who does the diagnosis, etc. So before you take this to a service center, call the warranty people to discuss the problem with them. If they will cover the work, get it in to a repair center as soon as you can. Getting the work done ASAP will get the problem off your mind and will get the warranty benefit in your pocket before they find a hurdle that you haven't cleared. Be sure to mention your extended warranty when you contact the service center as there are some service centers that will not work with one warranty company or another because of previous problems or differences over payments for work done. Some warranty companies try to negotiate discounts for work done or try to pay only so much for each kind of repair. Doing the paperwork can be a hassle for the service center and they may simply refuse to work with a specific company which leaves you the choice of going to another service center or perhaps pay the bill yourself and then accept what the extended warranty company is willing to pay.

When it comes to extended warranties, you must keep very complete records. Be sure that any service company puts mileage and date on any invoice and file them away in a place where you can find them when needed. Also make sure the invoices list clearly all procedures (oil changes, lubrication, adjustments, inspections) required by the warranty. If the warranty company wants, you must produce written records of satisfying all required maintenance. Most will allow you to keep a written log of any owner provided maintenance such as an oil change as long as you are trained or qualified to do the work.

Anyone who purchases an extended warranty should take the time to read the actual contract very carefully before the warranty is purchased. Do not rely on the advertisement brochure that the sales person hands you, read the actual contract with all its legalese. Make notes or highlight the contract and make yourself a maintenance schedule that you can keep handy. If you wait until you have a problem to read your warranty you may have already missed one of those hurdles and lost the race. Each of their requirements for service or maintenance is an "out" for the warranty company. If you don't follow their rules, they don't have to give your warranty benefits. They have a legal contract and as long as you meet your end of the bargain, they will meet their end.