brocki

Satellite Dish Opinion

The original satellite dish that was OEM on my 07 Phaeton seems to have gone to the junkyard in the sky.  I have been looking on line at the (my term) pod type receiver dish antennas King Tailgater, Dish Playmaker, Wingard Roadtrip,  and they seem to look pretty much the same.  Interested in opinions from users as to what many of you are using and how you like what you have.  We would also switch from Direct to Dish as there seems to be a real price difference between the two.  Your opinions on that also.  Dish has a terrible reputation for customer service.

Is your system set up for Dish Network? If so, you should check with Winegard, your OEM dome may very well be affected by the ongoing changes happening with Dish Network making it unable to work with Dish Network but it should still work with DirecTv. If it's set up for DirecTV and stopped working, replacement is your only choice.

If you have an affected antenna, Winegard has very special pricing (less than a dealer) to upgrade to a working system.

With the changes in the way both Dish and Direct are in the process of making, the best choice for many reasons such as a .1% failure rate since 2008 (it will work with all the changes happening), 1 button operation, receives 3 satellites at the same time, nation wide service centers if any repairs are needed would be the Traveler, SK-SWM3 for Directv and the SK 1000 for Dish.

If a dome type of antenna meets your needs, Winegard (built 2013 and on) would be a good choice and will work with the known changes that are in the process.

Both services have both good and terrible customer service.

Hope this helps.

I have had dish for more than a decade and I have not had any problem with them. Then, I don't tell them I'm taking the receiver from the house.  I have been happy with dish.  Consider that there is no dome on the market that will receive all three satellites that Dish uses, 110, 119, and 129, and no dome that will receive Direct HD. With that said I have the Carryout and I have been very satisfied with it.  I wish I could receive all three satellites at the same to so I could enjoy the full functionality of the VIP 722 DVR.  My next antenna would be the Traveler which is a roof mounted open faced automatic antenna and it does receive all the DIsh satellites.

Winegard provides a chart of all the antennas and what receivers goes with what antennas.  Some support all the receivers and others specific receivers. The Carryout I have is the original one and requires a separate wired power supply. I had to purchase a heavy duty converter to power the antenna. The new Carryout G2 has a Power Inserter placed in-line with the coax cable for power.

Here is another two bits, we have the Traveler for Direct SK SWM3. One button and up it goes, does it's thing and one button down. We take the receiver from the house. I leave the genie and have one in the coach permanently so TV in the bedroom as well. Bought it at  TV for your RV.com as a returning customer, great deal, great folks. Also bought articulating mount.

Bill Edwards

Brocki,

As stated before, Winegard does in fact make you a great deal. :) I have had Dish for better the 20 years and have never had a problem. For several year I also carried my receiver from the house to the coach. I now have the Winegard SK 1000, one push on the button and up it goes and one push and down it goes. I also have a Dish 722 receiver that stays in the coach. It powers both the front and rear TVs on different channels if wanted and will pause and record. When we go on short trips we will set our favorite show to be recorded at home. But for extended trips we just call Dish and they will move us to the local stations where we are located. I am sure some have their horror stories with Dish but for myself, they have always come through.

The SK 1000 was a very easy installation. It took me about a day:wub:, if I were 70 again it may have only taken a couple of hours.

Herman  

It's looks like you are considering portable satellite dishes.  If so, I would recommend the Winegard X2 Pathfinder.  The King Tailgater is also good (have one now), but it only uses the western arc... which is fine if you don't plan on traveling in the Northeast.  The X2 Pathfinder is switchable between the western and eastern arc.  It also has a larger dish, which doesn't suffer from as much when there's a storm in the area.  I'm migrating to the X2 right now.

I'm a full-timer and have been using Dish for the past 4 years.  I think their customer service is very good.  When I change locations and need to change my local channels, I never wait on the phone for more than a minute or two.  Some have had good luck with their "chat" service, but I haven't tried it.  I had DirecTV before and didn't really have any issues.  I changed because I like getting the local major channels (through DISH)... not just choosing between east or west locals (NYC vs. LA with DirecTV).

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it all depends upon where you camp.  If your primarily in the woods, your probably better off with a portable.  Wide open country, it makes no difference if it's fixed on roof or portable.  DISH or DIRECTV is a matter of personal opinion.  I have a DISH on my roof, that I have not used in 3 years and I don't miss it, so it will live there until I change to another coach or it falls off...:P  I have found that I get excellent coverage of local channels via my bat wing, when I'm not on cable.  Most Parks that I stay in have more channels than I need on cable, no monthly fee is a plus !  Most of my camping is in the mountains, anywhere USA and sometimes Canada...lots off trees and mostly peaks all around.  So, if I get anything it will be portable and self seeking.  I like DIRECTV and have it at home !  Actually my biggest concern is Wii-Fii,  With the phone and lap top, I can get all the weather and news that I need, also my International family can reach me/me them ! :)

Carl

Sounds like a good percentage of you have the big automatic stand up and be counted dish on the roof.  I was thinking more of the less expensive portable versions.  It seems that I will be buying 2 receivers for our 2 TVs anyway.

I am bit of a babe in the woods regarding this satellite  world.  When we had a house, all we used was over the air.  In the MH, we have had the original OEM dome SD antennae and have been hooked to direct TV which worked satisfactorily until just recently.

So do I understand that Dish has 2 sets of satellites, one East and one West while Direct TV has one set for everywhere?  And if that is true, some or all of these portable antennas only work on the (Dish) western set?  As full timers we travel all over North America.  I don't want a system that limits me to one coast or the other.  RonaldNC, if I understand you right, the Winegard X2 will find both depending on where you are?

Another question;  Whenever I would ask Direct TV to hook me up to local channels, they pitched a fit.  Is Dish much more accommodating regarding this issue?

I'll quit for now.  Thanks for the feedback so far and please help me continue this thread to help me figure out what we want.

56 minutes ago, brocki said:

Sounds like a good percentage of you have the big automatic stand up and be counted dish on the roof.  I was thinking more of the less expensive portable versions.  It seems that I will be buying 2 receivers for our 2 TVs anyway.

I am bit of a babe in the woods regarding this satellite  world.  When we had a house, all we used was over the air.  In the MH, we have had the original OEM dome SD antennae and have been hooked to direct TV which worked satisfactorily until just recently.

So do I understand that Dish has 2 sets of satellites, one East and one West while Direct TV has one set for everywhere?  And if that is true, some or all of these portable antennas only work on the (Dish) western set?  As full timers we travel all over North America.  I don't want a system that limits me to one coast or the other.  RonaldNC, if I understand you right, the Winegard X2 will find both depending on where you are?

Another question;  Whenever I would ask Direct TV to hook me up to local channels, they pitched a fit.  Is Dish much more accommodating regarding this issue?

I'll quit for now.  Thanks for the feedback so far and please help me continue this thread to help me figure out what we want.

I can't answer your questions about DirecTV, as I haven't used them in several years.

About DISH... yes, they have two sets of satellites.  There is an east coast set and west coast set.  A few years ago, you could get HD service just about anywhere (except the extreme northeast) on the western arc satellites.  So, the King Tailgater worked very well for me... even though it was only good for the western arc.  However, things have been changing and DISH is switching more and more eastern U.S. cities HD service to the eastern arc.  Now, there are many places that I have had to settle for SD coverage... not the end of the world, but once you get used to HD, it's hard to go back to SD.

The Winegard Pathway X2 looks like a fine product and gets good reviews.  It is software switchable (as part of the start-up routine) to either western or eastern arc... which is pretty awesome.  Also, the reflector dish is larger than the Tailgater so you don't have as much trouble with rain, etc.  I've ordered mine and hope to have it operational soon.

There are mixed reviews on the difficulty of changing your service address with DISH when you move.  Personally, it never takes me more than a few minutes.  I call their customer service number, go through their prompts, and select "technical support".  I find that these folks almost always know what they are doing.  I tell them that I'm in an RV, have changed my location, and would like to change my service address to get the local channels.  They make the changes and I generally have the new local channels in about 10 minutes.

I hope this helps... if you have more questions, please ask.

Ron

I use the Winegard Traveler for Dish.  Works great and receives HD anywhere I have been.  I also have Dish at home.  I take the Hopper and 1 Joey from home and put in the RV when we travel.  It takes about 5 minutes on the phone to get the location changed to my new location.  I personally have been very happy with Dish customer service for a number of years.  Each of us can watch the channel of our choice on either TV.  This is important to a happy trip.

We also have direct and it is my wife that makes the changes and it all depends upon who you talk with. She knows the department to as for and then it is a couple minutes and bingo we have  the local channels where we are. The first time I did it, tried and they had the hissy fit. Now I stay away and it is in her department to get that set up.

Bill Edwards

Happy DW is paramount. :)  I hated it, when she brought out the broom and didn't fly away! :(

Carl

OK , thanks to all for the feedback.  Ron, you cleared up a couple of things but now another question.  In reading the specs on the X2, it says that it has 2 inputs for connecting 2 receivers for 2 TVs.  In my '07 Phaeton, I have ONE outside coax input marked "tripod" that I think is for a satellite antennae.  Somewhere inside my MH that cable splits as I currently have 2 TV's connected to 2 receivers on different channels and both operating off the same input.  Can I do the same thing with the Winegard X2?

Oh, and Bill, good thinking.

Hermann, I'd be interested in what is involved in installing one of those big Kahunnas.  Sounds like that is what you have and you did it once.

The Winegard Traveler SWM3 dish that I installed last year is just plain marvelous. Best thing since sliced bread. When I call an unfamiliar park, I ask for a clear view of the southern sky. If they can't provide it, I continue my search for an area park that can.

My DW is addicted to TV and I will only watch HD. 

3 hours ago, Manholt said:

Happy DW is paramount. :)  I hated it, when she brought out the broom and didn't fly away! :(

Carl

You are just upset because she hands you the broom and says "Work!"

2 hours ago, brocki said:

OK , thanks to all for the feedback.  Ron, you cleared up a couple of things but now another question.  In reading the specs on the X2, it says that it has 2 inputs for connecting 2 receivers for 2 TVs.  In my '07 Phaeton, I have ONE outside coax input marked "tripod" that I think is for a satellite antennae.  Somewhere inside my MH that cable splits as I currently have 2 TV's connected to 2 receivers on different channels and both operating off the same input.  Can I do the same thing with the Winegard X2?

Oh, and Bill, good thinking.

Hermann, I'd be interested in what is involved in installing one of those big Kahunnas.  Sounds like that is what you have and you did it once.

I'm not an expert, but it's likely that your current roof mounted setup has two cables that come into the coach and make their separate way to your two receivers... at least, that's how mine works.  The X2 also has two outputs... but it sounds like your coach is wired like mine, as there is only one input for a "remote" dish.  If you want to use two receivers with your external dish, you'll need to wire an additional input for the second receiver.  I decided to only have one receiver in my coach and it drives both TVs.  So, we can watch the same thing on each TV using the satellite... or one can watch satellite and the other can watch OTA/cable channels.

Just to be clear... there are two outputs on both the Tailgater and X2, but each receiver has to be watching channels on the same satellite.  This is where the Travel'r and manual 3-LNB antennas are superior, as they are aimed at all three satellites all the time.

Again, hope this helps.

brocki,

I did install my satellite dish. What I installed was the Winegard SK 1000 Traveler. It is the unit made for Dish Network. I removed my old dome and trashed it. Winegrad requested that I destroy it and send them pictures of it. This was due to the fact that I received the discount. My old domes coax and power cord were used to pull the new coax and power cord through. The SK 1000 had very easy instructions to follow. The base is even marked with "Front" so you know which direction to mount the unit. I placed the dish in the middle of where the old dome was mounted. The previous owner had removed the original dome with the Winegard that I removed, so there were many holes to cover. To cover the many holes I oped for fiberglass. I filled all the holes with fiber glass, no cloth, and then covered the patches with sealant. There are two coaxes and one power cord from the dish. I ran all three into the upper cabinet. There are two coax cables in case you want to have two receivers however I installed a 722 Dish DVR receiver. I wired it the same way it is wired in your house. I only used one of the coax cables for the DVR and plan on using the second one for the over the air antenna when I change out my old one for one of the newer units. 

The only problem I had was getting this old 79 year old body up and down the ladder and working on my hands and knees.

Easy job and it works great.

If you have any questions just PM me and I will help where I can.

Herman    

Ron, thanks for clearing that all up.  Sounds like our rigs are wired the same.  I had been wondering how I was able to have 2 separate receivers.  I'm not sure that solution would be acceptable.

Herman, did you purchase your antennae through Winegard?  And how did you pick the right receivers for that antennae?

Guys, I am going in to Canada tomorrow AM and will be there for most of July.  I will have very limited internet access.  I will be thinking this all over and probably will have some more questions but it may be a week or so depending on where we are and Park access.  Thanks for all your help so far.

Brock

brocki,

Picking a receiver was not hard. We have Dish at home. In the house we have 2 Dish 722 HD DVRs. So I just contacted Dish and asked for a third receiver. During my conversation the on line tech said that from our talk he knew that I could install and operate the receiver. I wired the coach just as my house is wired. Works great:). We can now watch different shows at the same time, record programs when we are out and pause when we get calls or nature calls :wub:

Herman

All antennas have some form of limitation as designed for RV's.  Even the Winegard Trav'ler for Dish!  This antenna is setup for Western Arc satellites only and cannot be converted to EA.  It does have an option for using the 72 satellite only which has all the EA programming but not local Network programming is available.

brocki, you are going to need to run 2 separate coax cables from ground dome style antenna to the 2 separate receivers whether it is Dish or DirecTV.  With DirecTV you will be SD only but you can watch any channel on any receiver.  With Dish you will get HD but both receivers must be watching programming coming from the same satellite.  That's not usually a problem but it can jump up and bite you from time to time.

HD vs SD.  In my coach I get whatever cable sends...I'm not picky because it's a RV TV.  At the house, I have a 60" B & O TV and I'm picky!  Bill, I still have the DISH on my roof and still not using it ! :angry::rolleyes:  Can't get myself to throw away $2,400 and then spend the same for a DIRECTV replacement...ugh.

Carl

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

All antennas have some form of limitation as designed for RV's.  Even the Winegard Trav'ler for Dish!  This antenna is setup for Western Arc satellites only and cannot be converted to EA.  It does have an option for using the 72 satellite only which has all the EA programming but not local Network programming is available.

brocki, you are going to need to run 2 separate coax cables from ground dome style antenna to the 2 separate receivers whether it is Dish or DirecTV.  With DirecTV you will be SD only but you can watch any channel on any receiver.  With Dish you will get HD but both receivers must be watching programming coming from the same satellite.  That's not usually a problem but it can jump up and bite you from time to time.

I agree.  As with most things, you have to balance cost, convenience and features.  I think that if I really needed two receivers in my coach, I would look at having two Pathfinder X2s.  It would only be about $400 apiece (on Amazon), still cheaper than a Travel'r, and they would be moveable to a clear locations.  However, in over a year of full-timing, we've only had a couple of times that it would have been nice to have two receivers.  We can almost always can work out a combination of satellite, OTA and cable that gets the job done.

Good discussion!

8 hours ago, Manholt said:

Bill, I still have the DISH on my roof and still not using it ! :angry::rolleyes:  Can't get myself to throw away $2,400 and then spend the same for a DIRECTV replacement...ugh.

Not sure if I am the Bill you are talking about but I don't know what you might be referring to.

Between here and Durango Colorado, I am not aware of limitations with our Direct TV SWM Winegard Traveler, other than our local channels gone. Thought about the east coast or west coast feed, but we seldom watch the big networks. We can usually find them with park cable, but the resolution goes from terrible to barely acceptable.