BennieH

Windshield Gasket

We have an area on the top windshield gasket that starts "popping" up. It is like a flap that can be work up and out to facilitate glass replacement.
I clean the gasket and work it back in. I has a raised ridge on the edge that fits into a matching groove to hold it in place.

Should I clean it and put some adhesive on it top keep in place? If so what would you use?

Seems to stay in place for quite a while and then starts popping back up. Almost like its not seating correctly.

You should have an adhesive that is holding your windshield in place.  The gasket keeps water out and looks good.  Your coach is 13 years old and I expect so is your gasket.  I would install a new one !

Happy 4th and fly a flag...

Carl

Actually this type windshield gasket does NOT have adhesive holding the glass in place. I usually use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning both the grove and the strip then push back into place. If you want to use an adhesive, black or clear silicone rtv sealant over the strip, not in  it, works pretty well. Like the old Brylcreme advertisement, "just a little dab will do ya!", I usually will use a real small bead then smooth it with a finger tip.

Kay.  That's a first !

Question:  My front windshield, large one piece, has a stress fracture running from bottom up 4" then turns right 9"...is it fixable?  Or do I take a $$$ hit?

Carl

Take the hit Carl, once they start they will continue. It might have been possible when it started but after they run a ways nearly impossible to stop.

With respect to the rubber set glass, no adhesives. Once you get it pushed back into place from the outside, go inside and pull back the rubber at the same location and with a glass finger tool make sure all the rubber is where it should be. It is most likely that even though it looks like it is all in place from the outside it will not be totally from the inside. This is the only explanation for this kind of issue.

Good luck Happy 4th

Bill Edwards

I just reread the first post and if it is like the old VW and old Porsche seals with a secondary expander Kay's solution fine.

Carl, if the windshield still passes inspection, if they have one in Texas, I would probably stay with it for awhile. Your one piece windshield will probably cost well  north of $2 K. So you get the new one installed and something else happens. Boom! More money? 

I had a crack entirely obscured by the driver side wiper. Obviously not in my field of vision, but it is a discretionary item in PA. The inspection shop wouldn't pass it and they recommended a local glass shop (kick back?) .  $1200 dollars later, I was good to go, and that was only one side of a two piece windshield. 

If Bill Edwards is right you will soon know. He is obviously a smart guy. No offense Bill.?

Oh Well.  Thanks, you basically told me what I already knew...was hoping there was something I didn't know !  I'll call Texas Custom Coach tomorrow and hope they can take me when I come off this HOT (never had it this hot here) Mountain 90 for the next week !  $2,600 + tax. :(

ObedB.  My safety and Lic. is now on same sticker and due in Jan. 17'.  Texas will let you drive on the receipt...that saves me $822 for another.:)

Carl

Carl, the one piece windshields as far as I know are glued in. The older style two piece, and not all of them are gasket set, most of the newer coaches are adhesive set. As for the windshield getting replaced, if you have comprehensive insurance, that should cover the windshield except for any deductibles associated with your insurance. I don't know about your state, but Florida does not allow the insurance companies in their state to charge a deductible, you can call your agent for what it will entail. Although most companies that do charge a deductible, the comprehensive portion is usually half of your collision deductible. Hope you can get that taken care of, and again Happy Fourth of July, what's left of it. Just one other thought, if you do have collision ins., I would call them first for options, glass breakage doesn't usually count against your use of insurance and cause it to go up in price.

8 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Actually this type windshield gasket does NOT have adhesive holding the glass in place. I usually use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning both the grove and the strip then push back into place. If you want to use an adhesive, black or clear silicone rtv sealant over the strip, not in  it, works pretty well. Like the old Brylcreme advertisement, "just a little dab will do ya!", I usually will use a real small bead then smooth it with a finger tip.

Thank You! I'll clean it with alcohol the next time I see it popping up. It's always in the same area. Cleaning makes sense. I'll start there first before I try silicone.

Its on the right side glass and we had that replaced over a year ago. Installer said gasket was like new. He felt glass had been replaced/redone in the last few years. 

Thanks again.

If the glass is glued in, it is a structural part of the front end/cap, like a sheet of plywood on the corner of a well constructed house.

Bennie, do not use silicone inside the seal unless yo wish to replace the seal the next time you replace the glass. Be sure to keep it on the outside.

ObedB, what is there to take offense at. I hope like most, our expertise is correct most of the time. Thanks for the poke. I will get even in September if you are around.

Bill Edwards

Bill.  There are some words we can't use on Forum...starting with "A..", so ObedB substituted "Guy"...LOL.

TCC will call me back on my Windshield...they do them, not sure if I needed to give more info over and above what's on file !  He said an hour, an hour and 10 minutes ago...it's someone's DW looking it up, so I expect a call back by noon...maybe! :rolleyes:

I remember having the non-adhesive on my split windshields...long time ago !  Kay, my brain is old...:D

Carl

On 7/4/2016 at 7:37 PM, kaypsmith said:

Carl, the one piece windshields as far as I know are glued in. The older style two piece, and not all of them are gasket set, most of the newer coaches are adhesive set. As for the windshield getting replaced, if you have comprehensive insurance, that should cover the windshield except for any deductibles associated with your insurance. I don't know about your state, but Florida does not allow the insurance companies in their state to charge a deductible, you can call your agent for what it will entail. Although most companies that do charge a deductible, the comprehensive portion is usually half of your collision deductible. Hope you can get that taken care of, and again Happy Fourth of July, what's left of it. Just one other thought, if you do have collision ins., I would call them first for options, glass breakage doesn't usually count against your use of insurance and cause it to go up in price.

In my policy which included comprehensive, glass breakage is a separate option. Not terribly expensive. I would not assume that glass is covered.

Gil, it's an old post.  However I did get it replaced at TCC and I paid cash.  I carry Liability only with a multi million dollar umbrella policy. Had I had full coverage it would have been covered, but I still would have to pay $1,000 deductible.  Over the last 10 years, I'm way ahead.

Carl