klhldh

Steering Axle Weight

I am curious if there is an easy way to shift weight off of the steering axle. I am not over but close and have a regulator to adjust the tag axle. My weights are as follows. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Steering Front GAWR 15160 actual weight 14440

Drive Axle GAWR 23000 actual weight 21860

Tag Axle GAWR 12000 actual weight 8780

klhldh,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Ideally, you will have the same percent of GAWR on each axle.

Currently, yours are:

Front 95.3

Drive 95.0

Tag 73.2

Using the tag axle adjustment to sift weight off the front axle would remove even more weight from the (already underloaded) tag axle.  So not recommended.

Moving your personal gear or traveling with less variable weights (such as potable water) that are forward are your only options.

Thank you for the information. I thought if would take some weight off the tag it would lessen the front axle but it would also lessen the tag axle so it would not be ideal either. I appreciate the fact you took the time to respond and that may be the only option for us.

I don't know what type  RV you have but we have an 2011 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP.  Tiffin's air valves were not adjustable on the Power Glide chassis but were on the Freightliner. My axle weights were about the same as yours and Tiffin said that there was too much weight on the tag axle.  The corrective action was to replace the non adjustable electrical proportional valves with adjustable electrical valves and to add 2 manually adjustable valves. They said reducing the tag downward pressure would add weight to the drive axle and reduce the weight on the steer axle.  The non adjustable valves installed on my bus was set at 60/40 and they sent me pre-adjusted electrical valves set at 75/25 and marked DS and PS at no charge.  I have them replaced at Lakeshore Custom RV in Iuka, MS, 35 miles from Red Bay.  Those guys there worked at Tiffin one for 14 years mostly in the Chassis department and another who was certified at Tiffin on the Ford Chassis.  Both told me that Tiffin was aware of the problem and were replacing those valves at no charge for the valves.  

We just got back last week and I plan on getting the wheels weighed to see how much has changed.  If you have a Tiffin you can call and talk to Gary Harris in the chassis department or to Nathan who owns Lakeshore Custom RV, he was one of the 2 who was an inspector at every stage of production on all lines at Tiffin.  Both can give you technical info that I can't. His number is 256-668-2195 cell. They also work on other than Tiffin.  Hope this helps.

Bill 

The steering axle weight rating and actual weight seem quite high to me. Way over anything I have put on the trucks that I have driven and  80,000 gross without special permits are max. What do the sidewalls on your tires indicate max weight?

With respect to this:  Are the axle weights given as "statistics" by manufacturers generally actual weights or are they limits (GAWR) ?  Meaning not placards on the coach but in "features" etc in brochures?

Coaches have GVWR plaques that give:

GAWR

GVWR

Wheel and Tire size and PSI if each axle loaded to GAWR

These federal mandates are not related to actual weights, but to limits. Actual weights could be well below or even above GAWR from the factory-- VERY little policing.