Sign in to follow this  
mrsrodeo

Any Decent Denver Area Campgrounds??

Question

We stayed in Golden Colorado earlier this summer, and it was a bit expensive as well as crowded.  But, it seems that finding a decent campground anywhere in the area is pretty tough.  Anyone have any they can recommend?

We will be heading back through there around the 23rd and would like to stay 4 to 5 days, without breaking the budget! 

4 answers to this question

Stayed at Chatfield Lake State Park south of Denver near Littleton a few years ago while attending the AIA Convention downtown Denver. Nice lake views, convenient, hot air baloons, good access, quite. Would stay there again if in area.

There isn't anything good and cheap in Denver.  RV Park Reviews lists 51 parks in the area.  Some don't have full facilities, others are rated 1 out of 5 stars.  Across the road from Dakota Ridge $$$$$ (where we are now) is Golden Terrace RV Park.  It is pretty much a parking lot and the sites are really narrow.  If you have a toad, you will park it in the adjacent parking area.  Our last stay there several cars were vandalized.  Another park we have used in the past is Prospect Park.  The sites are archaic, some trees can be quite messy, electric is 30A and they were packed when we called earlier this year.  Our last stay there we had such a mess from the tree we were parked under I pretty much vowed never to return but we did check!  Cherry Creek State Park is south of town a short distance.  We've been to the park but haven't stayed there or even seen the campground.  We know people who stay there regularly and they like it.  We have also stayed at Barr Lake which is about 20 miles north.  It is also an old park, sites are gravel but are level and there are full hook-ups.  Check RV Park Reviews for details and other parks.

I have checked RV Park Reviews, but thought maybe there was a park that someone had been to recently that was better than the ratings on the website.  I checked the State Parks, but they are all booked up.

Looks like I'll be calling Dakota Ridge again in the morning :mellow:

If you can go a bit N. then I would highly recommend St. Vrain State Park.  Right off I-25 near Firestone, CO.