SusanK727

Looking For Small Printer For Motorhome -- Suggestions?

We are looking to add a small printer to our motorhome -- hubby is still working and often needs access to print information.   Does anyone have any suggestions?   Not especially looking for a photo printer

We are also looking for a printer for ours. Best Buy has several small HP's as well as Costco has a couple small ones... also HP"s

I think.

Susan.  Welcome to the Forum.

I use a HP ENVY 4502 and it is small.  Wii-Fi, prints, photo, copy and scan.  Got it at Wall Mart.  I keep mine in a over head cabinet and open the 2 doors when camped.

Carl

I use a HP 4100 series which is an older one but it has a scanner with the printer.  It is 12 inches deep so it fits in the overhead cupboard.

To be clear you need hard copy, not just the ability to save documents. 

You did not mention how many copies you need of each document.

Also the average number of pages a day or hour.

These numbers can have a significant impact on the printer you choose/need.

I would like to tell you the specific model but it is a Canon PIXIMA, it is fairly fast and just the right size. About 2 1/2 inches thick 8 inches wide and 13 maybe 14 inches long.

Bill Edwards 

I have used HP laser printers and now have an Epson XP-410.  The XP-410 is a color printer, copier and scanner, now likely discontinued or replaced with a more modern model.  Most printers are easily capable of taking care of personal use.  If you need to print large quantities you might be able to use commercial (office supply or copy centers) printing for those needs.  Other than the number of copies, the other considerations are the size of the printer.  Decide where you want to place the printer when it is in use and when you are on the road.  When I had the HP laser printers I stored them in an overhead cabinet but had to move them out to use them.  I had a step stool that was handy for Louise but not used often.  I used that step stool as a printer stand.  I have a fold up table behind the passenger seat and the space under that is where I placed the printer.  The computer sits on the table when in use and the 110V electric supply is on the bottom of the cabinets above.  So I had convenient connections between all components and electric handy as well.

With the current printer, I leave the printer in the overhead cabinet above where the computer is located when it is in use.  That way I don't have to relocate it to use it.  I seldom use the printer these days but it is handy to have one along.  The Epson is light weight and does a decent job of printing.  Paper has caused problems in the past.  I keep our paper in a plastic storage container to control the moisture content which has caused some printers to jam in the past. 

I believe most printers today have wireless operation as at least an option.  This is handy, allowing you to put the printer where you need to without worrying about the location of the computer and the need to connect a wire to the computer.  We occasionally have need for a copier and it is really unhandy to have to find a place to make copies.  Again today it is easy to find printers that are multi-function capable and prices are quite reasonable for these printers.  The copy and scan option allows me to convert paper receipts to digital copies.  Have you noticed how many receipts are printed in invisible ink?  Three months later they fade to white!  For all my durable goods purchases (like the printer) I scan the receipt and make a digital copy.  That way I have proof of purchase that won't fade.

Measure your storage space then take a tape measure and go shopping or shop on-line and hope the measurements they quote are correct.  When it comes to shopping on-line and finding correct sizes I often go to the manufacturer website to verify the measurements quoted on the on-line sales site.  There are so many choices available you should have no trouble finding one that fits your needs.

I use an Epson 620 and it has all the bells and whistles plus it is a wireless printer.  Epson was one of the first maker of printers back in the days of the first Tandy computers. They have been around for a long time. I have had excellet results with this brand. It has a fairly small footprint and fits up in my clothes closet shelf.  I take it down when I need it. 

On this recent trip I only needed a printer once and I forgot to bring the printer along. I put the document on a flash drive and went to a Staples store and they printed out copies for me. 3 copies of a 1 page document was $1.50.  Office Depot offers the same services.. Only need a printer if you have large volumes or everyday printing needs.

How often you need to print may determine whether you need an inkjet or laser printer.  We use a small wireless HP Laserjer P1102W since we don't use it often enough to keep the ink good in an inkjet.  It is black and white only, but if we need to print pictures, much cheaper to go to Walmart, Walgreen, or CVS.

HP 4260 is reasonable ink jet for approx. 125.00 will work either in wired mode or wireless. Our sets on top of a bedroom counter and very unobtrusive.

I also use a Canon Pixma IP 110. I like this printer very much as it is very compact and the print quality is excellent!  I have had this printer for two years and my printing demands are limited so I don't have a feel for how long the ink cartridges last yet.