tireman9

Driving in Boston, Worcester or Springfield Mass

Thanks.  Just what I did not want to know!  Ignorant bliss was somewhat already destroyed by the construction information in my FMCA packet...now this ! :lol::o:huh:

Carl 

These are old cities, built on streets that started as trails for horses and wagons.  They are frequently narrow and not necessarily constructed on the modern right angle patterns.  In addition, we found that the road departments in MA are reluctant to trim trees.  It has been several years when we were last there.  We saw exit signs that were hidden behind shrubs or trees until you were almost past them, trees that were too low for us to get under without contact, turns that were difficult and railroad bridges that were less than 10' clearance.  These kinds of things are common throughout New England.  The solution is to do everything you can to know your route.  Get the best map information you can.  Use a GPS to alert you to upcoming turns and anticipate a hidden turn or exit.  Stay with the major roads if at all possible.  If you have low clearance information on your GPS or in your map book, make sure you have the latest most complete information available.  I would look for routes into and out of city locations that are on major roads if absolutely necessary to go into cities in the motor home. 

We've traveled through much of New England and it is definitely worth the effort and care in driving to make the trip, just go there with a clear expectation that the roads will be more challenging than you find in other parts of the country.  This is where you will earn your "stripes" as a motor home driver.  Enjoy!

The directions into the Big E look pretty good.  Google Map on Satellite before you drive in, then use your car to get around.  If you are thinking of going to Boston, or Worcester I would recommend not  taking the motor home. Even if you don't get stuck, you won't be able to park.  As Tom said, many of the roads are narrow and you probably don't want to find yourself on one in a 40' motor home towing anything.  Plan ahead, have patience, and remember, commercial trucks and buses  navigate through these cities on a daily basis. 

Got into a pickle in Boston decades ago with my 18 wheeler. Could not make the required left turn without getting out of my tractor, pulling the trailer tandem release, sliding the wheels full forward, re-locking my trailer tandems, making the turn, while men in suits carrying briefcases seemed absorbed with what I was doing.  

Quite an experience. I was very careful about delivering in the Boston area after that. Never take a 40' DP towing anything into old Boston.

I have been in Boston several times. You do not want to drive your motorhome in to Boston. There are areas (the ones you want to see) that don't allow trucks except for small box trucks. You will have a hard enough time finding parking for a car.

The closest I have camped to boston is RI so I can't help with a spot to stay.

Bill

I have been to Hanscome AFB in MH towing and no problem. Stay off the secondary roads. Only use the major ones, like freeways. Follow the directions to campgrounds that others have posted on rv park reviews or military campground reviews. If you have a specific CG you want to go to ask on the forums for the best route. Most likely others have been there before you.  I have been in some cities where parking is allows on both sides of the street, such as Boston, and it makes the roads very, very narrow. With an already 8' wide MH or 5er it can be harrowing.  Plan ahead.

Like the rest off you, I was in MA. annually, DW was from Boston area.  We parked RV in a CG out on the Cape and took toad to Quincy and taxi.  Other times, the ferry and taxi.  As has been said, stay on Freeways or major roads and all is good.  Never been in W. Springfield.  Have goggled it and now feel it will be good as long as I follow FMCA instructions.  As always patience is paramount in NE !

Carl 

I grew up in Worcester and was stationed in Marine Barracks Boston and Chelsea Naval Hospital. The driving can be tough but it is better than 5 or so years ago. Like any other large city, if you know where you are going it will be ok, but if you don't know where you are going you will be in the wrong lane many times..

Maybe some low bridges and some hard turns, maybe even bad drivers, but you can't the hospitality, the famous mass one finger salute .....LOL Keep vehicles locked when not directly around them. but on a lighter note there is a Six Flags not so far from the city.

Grew up 20 miles West of Worcester (North Brookfield) and driving back then was just as bad as it is now-a-days.  Careful on your trip there. A friend of a friend took the Connecticut Turnpike (or something of that order) towing a Montana 5th wheel and ripped half his roof off on a low bridge. 

OK.  Now that we know all about driving around the Eastern area.  How about some thoughts about Springfield and W. Springfield?  I for one have never been there and I imagine a lot of members that are going to the re union have not either !

Carl