jleamont

Closet Door Latches

Anyone ever change out the poor factory design for the latch on their bedroom closet doors. We have these (link below) clips and I have replaced 4 of them on each side so far this year and its getting old. My doors are only a mirror with some gold trim around the mirror the they hang off of. I have considered removing them and building wooden doors with a different style lock. This is what we have now for a latch,

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/jr-products-sliding-mirror-catch?a=754309&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CPyYrKbu7c0CFZNbhgodyIMGlA

Thanks to RV Geeks video I may have this figured out, this looks like a viable solution to our problem. video below, incidentally we have the exact same doors they have. I cant be the only one with these so this might help someone else. Any other ideas?

Joe. There is a second part of the sliding doors that can cause the problem.

The video does show one solution and it might be the best in many situations. However there are plastic door slide retainers located on the top of them to keep them in the proper location,- I have replaced the plastic sliding door rollers located on the bottom of the doors with aluminum ones. Not to bad a job if the rollers on your doors are damaged.

One thing for sure is, if you try to lift the doors upward to remove them and they do not want to move upward- the before mentioned retainers are most likely doing there job and are tight or not damaged in some way.

Note! The retaining locks on our coach are metal and spring loaded. Different then the ones pictured also.

Rich.

Joe & Rich,

My sliding mirror door has, had, a small round button that plugged into a hole in the facing. Any one know where I might find them?

Will be into Colaws around the first of August. Will look there.

Herman 

Joe, I have been using one just like the one in the video for 4 years now. Here is another alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Sliding-Closet-or-Wardrobe-Door-Latch-Black-/151062045015?hash=item232bffe157:g:ATMAAMXQCgpRt1Xe&vxp=mtr

Although I am well pleased with the one in the video, only difference, I placed mine at the top of the door.

Joe, mine are metal and metal rollers top and bottom.  The latch was, plastic and broke off, TCC replace it with a metal latch, like the one on ebay!

Carl

Thanks guys for the ideas. I was considering the purchasing two from the video and placing one on top and one on the bottom, just so they do not dance while driving down the road.

Rich, my rollers are a hard plastic/Teflon, no issues with them so far.

Kay, thank you, I will show these to my DW tonight, not sure if she will want one mounted to the frame again since the clothes hamper is back there and she often snags it pulling out through the doorway.