gelsw

Class A Campgrounds

Look under RV Resort.  Ruidoso Motor Coach Resort is an example....I'm not there, I'm in Circle B.  The word "snob" is not in my vocabulary !

ShortBus,

Just out off curiosity, why Class A only?  I know several folks in Class C and Fifth wheels that start at $500K+.  I have always considered myself Oil Field and RV Trash !

Carl

49 minutes ago, Manholt said:

ShortBus,

Just out off curiosity, why Class A only?  I know several folks in Class C and Fifth wheels that start at $500K+.  I have always considered myself Oil Field and RV Trash !

Carl

:lol:

My guess is either just for the experience or he's had it with the tents, cabins or other 85% not mentioned above.  

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I'm trying not to go through dozens of sites on line only to find out they don't have Class A sites. Had a fiasco at Red Rock in Idaho a couple years ago when the promised site was much to small for the coach, yes we told them the size. They shoe horned us into a site next to a 12' TT. The people next door were literally sitting under the bedroom slide out. The alternative was to park in with the tents but stick out into the driveway so we would fit. Ended up leaving 2 days early and left a nasty review on their site, which was promptly deleted. Also if not wanting to be around campers that let their fire smolder all night so I can't breath makes me a snob, then so be it. Jeesh!!

I have been to a lot of RV parks in Idaho and never had that problem, same for Ohio !  Now in La. is other stories, similar to yours.  Just wondering, that's all.  Just for laughs and giggles, what kind of coach you got?  Northern Idaho has some nice Big Rig Resorts @ $ 80+ per night.  Same with Oregon, WA and Canada...I forgot Montana.

Shortbus, I can relate not judging you by any means.....believe me I get it. The stories and stuff that aggravates us I couldn't post on here. I have been places I couldn't get to the site let alone fit in it. My friend watched a 45' Entegra hit a tree while backing into the site as the CG guided him in, when he opened his slides they were spilling onto the sites next to him, never should have been there in the 1st place! 

I have got into the habit of asking the site dimensions, then Google earth the CG and compare to the site map on their website. while its not always useful it does help. I also hate when you arrive and its not a CG but a trailer park, up here the term "campground" and "Beach House" gets thrown around and used loosely, you have to be careful when booking in the North East. Next year I am planning a trip to Florida in their off season (summer) and I am booking a class a resort only, due to the age of my coach they asked for photos, I sent them and we are all set, no issues.

We always check with RVPARKREVIEWS.COM ... There is a book out called Big Rig RV or something like that.  Expensive book.  I don't have one, so can't comment on how good it is or isn't.

25 minutes ago, Manholt said:

Joe, where in FL?

FL Keys then up to ST. Augustine, I haven't booked it yet, I just put some feelers out there, still trying to see what options I have down there and choose wisely :D. any suggestions?

CarlAda.  I have the book $29.99 at CW.  Not worth the paper it's printed on !  My 2 cents worth.

Joe, send me a e mail.

Carl

We have a 40' coach. My observation is that coach owners tend to be older and do not have families and tend not to have the aforementioned smoldering campfires. With COPD this is a serious problem for me. Didn't realize I would be stepping on so many toes asking a straight forward question. $$ had nothing to do with it, just my health and not wanting to damage a large investment. I mentioned Red Rock in Idaho because that one is still a sore point for me. I'm sure there are other fine CG's in Idaho and will be finding out in the next few months. As for Ohio in the last month have been in two state parks, Alum Creek and Delaware, where the access drive had tree limbs hanging down over the paved access road. Now have scratches down the side. I was going to ask about boon docking locations big enough for a coach but have decided against it now, don't want to upset any van or tent campers......

Shortbus. You are just a snob???. I have been in a lot of places over the years that remind me that due diligence should have been exercised. Go for it because it is good to be careful, but by limiting your search to Class A only you will probably miss a lot of perfectly acceptable parks. Maybe others do this also, but I always call a local number for info and reservations. Never an 800#. If the person you talk to sounds like a doofus, expand your search.

Shortbus, no offense taken we have a 40' well actually 41'2" and have two teens. We don't leave fires smoldering DW puts them out before we go in for the night if we even have one burning, anymore it's not too common. Kids; they walk the line or they deal with me, respect others, don't walk through other sites (even empty ones) they are usually inside playing cards or at some activity. I understand where you are coming from even my kids do. We often have these conversations on the trip home. You ever camp near me most of the smoke is from the smoker cooking meat, and I do share B).

Obedb :lol:

I can understand wanting a site that can accommodate your rig without worrying about low hanging branches and room for slide outs.  As mentioned above, asking about the site dimensions will help.  We have had travel trailers, fifth wheels and now a small Class A.  I find it helpful to review the campground's website pictures and reviews written by others.  We have found some great places with easy access that are not listed in any of the books --Good Sam, Passport, Woodalls, etc .  Now that we are retired, we find non-holidays and traveling during the week is best and gives families the time and space they need on weekends.  Check out Harvesthosts.com.  It is a collection of wineries and farms that offer boondocking on their property.  You are asked to offer support by purchasing their products.  There is a small membership fee [$44].  If golf is your thing, try rvgolfclub.com.  Enjoy....

The Big Rig Directory may be what you want.  The number of campgrounds is limited because only those that cater to big rigs (think $$$$) are listed.  They now have satellite views of campgrounds on the on-line version.  Understand that I have never used this guide because we view campgrounds as basically a parking lot, hopefully close to what we really want to see.  We don't go out to hang around in the campground, we're out at museums, hiking in parks, playing golf, carousing bars, tasting wine, visiting friends and/or out somewhere having a good time.  We sleep and shower in RV parks. 

We've taken our 40 footer into all kinds of parks.  Now in her 13th year and with 154,000 miles we're frequently the fanciest thing in the park!  Right now, parked on gravel in a really narrow site (had to move the neighbors picnic table to get my awnings set up) we're just a few blocks from all the action at Sheridan Rodeo Week.  Quiet site, no campfires, friendly folks in the office, we're happy.

My observation over the years is that if you use the term RV Resort in your search, that you usually will come up with some very nice accommodations. Usually twice the price but this also enhances the probability of getting higher caliber neighbors. I can fully understand the smoldering campfire concern.  

kay,

I would have agreed with your statement in the past, however now so many of the really run down trailer parks have begun using "Resort" in their names to attract new customers. As we all know RV Parks Review is a good place to start searching for a RV Park but I only consider those with current reviews and websites. 

The DW and I have found several nice small mom & pop parks off our GPS. I will go to Lodging then to RV parks. We have found some really nice ones :Dand have also found some real duzzies:o. There is nothing wrong with asking to see your site before paying for it only to find out it is totally unacceptable.  

As for smoldering campfires, having started out as a Cub Scout in the early 40es all the way as Scout Master for my 3 sons, You never leave a fire unattended. Either watch, use and enjoy it or extinguish it. 

Sorry, the DW just cleaned my Soap Box and wants me to use it. :D

15 hours ago, Manholt said:

CarlAda.  I have the book $29.99 at CW.  Not worth the paper it's printed on !  My 2 cents worth.

Joe, send me a e mail.

Carl

Thanks....we considered it, but didn't see the value....you've just confirmed it. :)

Herman, likewise, Order of the Arrow, Eagle, and scoutmaster for 5 years, although I only have two daughters.

Happy trails, Kay

ShortBus.  Take a read under our signature...40' to 45', is not a tent.  Truly Sorry about your COPD.  Everyone above had good, sound and viable points!  Between most of us, there probably is over a combined 250 years of Motor Home experience !

Golf4Fun.  If your a FMCA member, check out SWG Chapter, on web under Swinging Golfers (we only swing at a ball)!

Carl