bwjoyner

Uniroyal Tires

I'm in the market for some new tires, size 255/80R-22.5 and the Uniroyal RS20 has been recommended, does anyone have any experience with Uniroyal tires?

Some internet research shows they are manufactured by Michelin and are considerably less expensive than Michelin.

Any comments would be appreciated.  

What brand do you have on coach now?  Are you happy with the way the coach rides on your current tires?

Carl

Manholt's question is a good one. I often wonder why people want to change tire brands. If you have been happy with the overall performance of what works on your coach, why change?

While there may be sound reasons to consider change such as Brand or size availability and cost or the previous owner put a smaller or lighter load capacity tire on the save some $ (definitely a no no in my book).

Simply changing the brand for no specific reason may introduce ride issues as every brand/size is slightly different in its response to road disturbance.  Even lower cost may not be worth it as there is always the potential of going from a satisfactory combination of tire size, brand, inflation level to same load capacity and inflation but different brand and ending up with a minor or maybe significant loss in ride comfort.

It may be difficult to understand but ride comfort is a combination of many different components in a vehicle such as shocks, springs, wheels(steel or aluminum or even different design aluminum), tire size, inflation, brand, tread design and some other parts such as suspension bushings and even seat mounting. So just because a specific brand works well one one brand, year, model coach does not mean it will always work well on a different coach.

The motorhome has the original Michelin tires on now, the coach is a 2003 model so they are way past due for replacement. I have no specific reason for changing tire brands other than  possibly saving some money, Michelin's are pricey. 

So you are riding on 13+ year old tires?  Slowly, very slowly drive to your nearest tire dealer and get new tires all around!  As the Monopoly game ticket says, "Go directly to the tire shop.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200." 

You should be able to afford the Michelin tires, you have saved a whole set of tires by not replacing them every seven years as recommended.  Consider the value of your coach and then ask yourself how that compares to the cost of the set of tires.  Consider what is at risk.