PRIESTLAKE

Is A Toad Brake System Required

Not required in every state in the US but recommended.  There are states that require supplementary braking depending on the weight of the toad.  Here is a link to the towing laws, state by state and for Canada.  California requires brakes for anything over 1500 pounds.  Canada brake requirements are different for each province.  You can check others but if you are making long term plans, you will likely find yourself in states or provinces that do require brakes.  I wouldn't tow without brakes on the toad, it makes it easier to stop quick.

28 minutes ago, PRIESTLAKE said:

Have a 2004 Honda accord towed behind a Winnebago sighseer 33c, is a brake system required in the toad.  Thanks

Yes, to be legal in many locations you need a breaking system on all toad units. It does not mater what the make or size of the coach is. It also needs to have a weight that each coach is built to tow. Many are designed to pull 5000lbs  or 10000lbs. The tow setup is listed in or on an information sheet located near the drivers set.

Rich.

I am with Tom, I don't tow without a supplemental brake(brake Buddy). I would rather stop a foot short of hitting something rather than a foot beyond hitting something. You might also consider if you have a accident the added legal issues especially in today's lets sue everybody society .

Bill

Agree.  Also, if you are involved in an accident, your fault or not, the insurance company could refuse to pay, if your not in compliance!  That also has to do with towing outside off your vehicle tow rating.

Priestlake,

If you have a Rand McNally Atlas, look in the index. There is a page "State by State Auto Rules". It tells you Speed Limits, Insurance requirements, Trailer Brakes Requirements (and Yes your tow vehicle is considered a trailer) even down to Flare requirements. 

A few extra bucks spent to be in compliance with the law is worth a lot more then being told after an accident, "sorry your claim is denied due to the fact you were on the road with a non-compliant vehicle"

So please be safe and legal rather than sorry. Take a look around, there are several excellent braking systems on the market. 

Good luck and Safe & Happy travels.

Herman

Since you are looking for opinions and not legal advice (binding legal advice cannot be found at any online forum), my opinion is that it does not matter if a braking system is "required".  A braking system is "necessary" for all towed vehicles.  You cannot stop as quickly when towing a trailer (that's what a towed is) as you can when you are not.  That means that anyone looking for any reason to turn the blame on you is going to delve into every possible nook and cranny.  So, you say you don't have any brakes on your trailer?  Thank you, my lawyer will be in touch!