blakeloke

Annoying Rattle With Door Bracket.

Carl mentioned in an earlier post that these big DPs have inherent rattles and noises (paraphrase).  I've been able to track down most all of our rattles but the door bracket that stops the door opening at 90 degrees is driving me batty.  Once we hit a pothole this thing starts rattling for the rest of the drive.  I've replaced it once and that worked for a couple of years but the rattle is back.

Has anyone had the same rattle and been able to fix it?  I've even wrapped the arms with electrical tape but that didn't seem to do anything but make the door harder to open and close!

Thanks........Blake

I wonder if you placed a piece of foam rubber up there so the when you shut the door it would apply pressure to the hinge and quiet it down. You would forget it was there until opening the door and out it falls. Worth a try. I will have a piece for when we meet up.

Bill Edwards

Blake,

If it is the arm at the top of the door and you have replaced it before try this. Make sure the holes and or bolt are not worn or wobbled out. If they are both ok get several Teflon flat washers to go between the top of the door and the arm. What it sounds to me is that the arm, over time begins to sag and will rest on top of the door.

I have adjusted mine several times when it won't keep the door open.

Let me know if this works.

Herman 

Agree with Herman, if the arm has bolts at the joints you can snug them up but if it has what most have, large rivets, you can remove the arm and "stake it" which entails using a center punch on the base of the rivet to spread it a bit...just don't go too far or it will be tough to open...

Hmm, mine chirps and rattles on occasion while driving, sounds like dry rubber chirp.  I have found some chafe points on the screen door. One of those things I have to dig into a bit more. Are all of these doors this heavy? It's like closing a bank vault.

Maybe the rattle isn't coming from the stop arm.  Here is something I recently discovered. 

We were in South Dakota and there was a real strong wind storm.  Some of the sun screens blew off the coach and I went out to retrieve them before they disappeared over the horizon.  When I opened the door the wind grabbed it and it bent the top door hinge.  The door was difficult to operate and when I examined it the difference between the top and bottom hinge was apparent.  So we (my best friend Bill and I) removed the door and the hinge.  Yes, I can verify that the door is really very, very heavy.  We beat the hinge back to flat and re-installed it.  With that done, the door suddenly started closing very easily, better than it had been for years.  We had latch problems in the past and had been in a dealer shop and the tech told us that the door was incorrectly installed and was slightly off square.  It turns out the hinge had been bent for a long time and we just didn't realize it because it was only slightly bent.  Once it was noticeable we repaired it, the problem became obvious and we decided to fix it.

Once the hinge was flattened again the door closed like magic.  It was easy to close and closed tight.  I had been bugged for years by wind noise on the drivers side window.  Suddenly that was gone.  We went to Deadwood, SD and once again the door was caught by wind.  The hinge (previously bent) was bent again, just slightly, but the wind noise was back.  I just ordered a new hinge and will install it as soon as I have good help.  In the meantime I'm training myself to open the door with two hands, one on the release and the other on the solid handle.  It doesn't take much to bend that hinge and it may be the cause of your rattle.  Just an "educated" guess.

If the foam rubber works, Walmart sells, and I'm sure others do as well, a foam tape, usually located  in the winter insulation dept. It sticks very well,

We had a very loud racket coming from the door on our 2001 Monarch and tracked it down to the hinges. I found it by spraying WD-40 on them and immediately noticed the noise was gone! In the last few days, I got some white grease and worked it well into the top and bottom hinges...and greased the joints of the restraining arm at the top of the door. I also greased the closures at the two points that secure the door to the body. While I haven't taken it out yet, I'm expecting a nice, quite ride. Dan

Folks,

Fantastic ideas!  I'll take a closer look at the attaching bolts to see if they're tight.  If so, then a piece of foam as a cushion would certainly help me stay sane.

I hadn't thought about the hinges and will inspect those too!

We're parked for the next week or so and will update you all when we get back on the road!

Thanks much!

Blake