Vegasmailman

Negative Pole Battery Disconnect

I just purchased a new Ford Focus, that can be tow 4 wheels down.  Looking in the owners manual it states that I must disconnect the negative pole on the battery before towing then reconnect and run 15 minutes when I finish and want to use the car. 

My question is this.  Since there are so many computer  things such as blue tooth, XM radio, to list a few.  Will that be required to be reset each and every time I remove the negative cable. or is there a way around that. 

Please help.

There is a device that can be plugged into the cig lighter or accessory outlet that uses small batteries to keep from having to reset those kind of devices. Be sure that the outlet that you choose will keep working with the ignition switch in off position, otherwise you will need to leave accessories on and remain on all the while the negative is disconnected. Here is one listed at amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/12V-Automotive-Settings-Keeper-Battery/dp/B002C0NP5I/?tag=leosm1-20

While I did not have a Ford Focus, I used the battery disconnect on my Chevy Van for years to keep the battery from dying while towing.  It was always obvious that things weren't quite right when I first re-connected and started the engine but this only lasted less than 1 minute and all was well.  Hopefully, some Focus owners will be along with more details.  Is this new for this years Focus or has that all ways been a requirement?  Have you looked to see what the FMCA towing guide says?

I did purchase a battery disconnect from Amazon.  Hopefully this will take of it.  Thinking I buying one of those remote cutoff, but that will have to wait.  Had to purchaze a new baseplate for this ones do wiring as ford doesn't allow interrogation with its electronic systems any longer.  Thanks for the info

I have towed my Focus numerous times now and yes you need to disconnect the battery negative. I have installed a battery disconnect switch so now it is just a flip of the switch. As far as the radio, my station sets remained unchanged. Just follow the directions in my owners manual it is pretty simple. Happy towing.