squiredude

Mapping/Navigation Using Laptop With Windows 10

I just purchased a new laptop with the intent of using it for my navigation while driving my RV.

The problem is that the laptop came with a Microsoft Simulated GPS driver not a real GPS chip.  Hence it will only function for turn by turn navigation when connected to the Internet... not a function I have while driving!

Has anyone found a setup that will rub on a Windows 10 laptop with an external GPS, via USB connection? (Which GPS are you using?)

Then will it work with Windows 10 MAPS app?
OR
What mapping or navigation software do you use?

While Delorme has not had a 2016 upgrade, Street Atlas 2015 is still available.  I sit in my easy chair at home and plan our whole trip including where we will stop for fuel and possible restaurants.  The laptop sits well on the dash, plug in the GPS that comes with the software, and plug into the outlet just below the laptop that runs on the invertor.  I need the invertor to be on anyway due to traveling with a residential refrigerator.  Directions are at the bottom of the screen in 1/2 inch high letters.  When it states that I have 130 miles to the next turn, I don't worry about what is next for about 2 hours.  There is a learning curve as there is with any new system.

If you are saying that your computer cannot use GPS satellites then there's really nothing out there that requires live GPS data that will be of any use to you.  I am pretty sure that there are external GPS units that you can add to your computer to provide this necessary data.  Streets and Trips sold their software and a GPS "puck" but you should be able to find a similar stand-alone unit.

9 hours ago, SquireDude said:

I just purchased a new laptop with the intent of using it for my navigation while driving my RV.

The problem is that the laptop came with a Microsoft Simulated GPS driver not a real GPS chip.  Hence it will only function for turn by turn navigation when connected to the Internet... not a function I have while driving!

Has anyone found a setup that will rub on a Windows 10 laptop with an external GPS, via USB connection? (Which GPS are you using?)

Then will it work with Windows 10 MAPS app?
OR
What mapping or navigation software do you use?

I use Copilot. You can download the maps for the area you are traveling in when you have wifi and it doesn't use data. I have a hot spot and it is very seldom I can't get a signal

Bill

I just looked at Windows 10 MAPS on my laptop.  Not really impressed - I am connected to the internet and it shows my location incorrectly and says "My Location (within 20.9 miles)".  Not close enough for my use.

6 minutes ago, lmsooter said:

I just looked at Windows 10 MAPS on my laptop.  Not really impressed - I am connected to the internet and it shows my location incorrectly and says "My Location (within 20.9 miles)".  Not close enough for my use.

Interesting as google maps is quite accurate. Google earth shows what side of the house I am in.:lol:

Bill

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Interesting as google maps is quite accurate. Google earth shows what side of the house I am in.:lol:

Bill

True.  I am used to Google Maps and Google Earth and the accuracy.  That is why I am not impressed with Windows 10 MAPS. 

2 hours ago, lmsooter said:

True.  I am used to Google Maps and Google Earth and the accuracy.  That is why I am not impressed with Windows 10 MAPS. 

Besides Google maps I have been using COPilot for navigation because it doesn't use data. You download the maps ahead of time. I have found it to be very accurate. 

Bill

I've had a delorme for several years now it does work with windows10. After you get initial route you go in and modify it for what you want to avoid tunnels cities etc. along your route.Then you can put in mpg and at what level you want to fuel up how many hours you want to drive and it will show proposed stops. It has a pretty good database for points of interest. Works without internet just put puck on dash ant push go. Also has a lot of other features. To many to list. And it is inexpensive has a lot of bang for the buck.