sundance44

Towing Package Design For 2009 Honda Civic

Let me preface this by saying that I am a NEWBIE to motorhome RVing.  I had many years with a travel trailer but this is my first experience with a motor coach.  My wife, read boss, and I have concluded that we need a toad/dingy in order to enjoy the freedom and flexibility that we desire.  We have a low mileage, 35,500, 2009 Honda Civic Sedan with Automatic transmission that we have concluded we should use as our toad.  Now I am fully aware that Honda says this vehicle is only to be towed in emergency situations and for limited mileage if being flat towed or 4 down.  However, as a result of significant internet research I have concluded the risk is minimal if done intelligently; and that is where this audience comes into play, hopefully.

I plan to towing my 2009 Honda Civic behind my Class A 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 34 ST.  Equipment I have identified as being necessary or prudent is as follows:

1.       Seven (7) Pin Tail Light Warning Kit.  I see where Mike L at etrailer.com seems to prefer the Hopkins Universal Tail Light Wiring Kit.

2.       Base Plate, which as I understand is hardware that mounts to the toad and enables a connection point for the tow bar.

3.       Class IV, 10,000 lb Tow Bar.  I know 10,000 lbs is overkill but, for me, I feel more comfortable with the additional margin.  The margin could come in handy if I wanted to tow a larger vehicle.

4.       Class IV, 10,000 Lb Safety Cable Kit.  The safety cables seem to be included with some of the tow bar systems I have seen.

5.       Drop Receiver Hitch.  My guess is that I would need about a 4” drop to level out the attach points

Auxiliary Braking System.  I am currently leaning towards the RVibrake2

Battery Charging System for Toad.  RVi sells one for $50.00 or less.  I feel the inclusion of the battery charger is good risk mitigation.

Okay guys, here is your design opportunity.  Fire away, no comment/detail too small.  Tell me how you would do it.  Thanks in advance.

Sundance44

Sundance 44, 

Welcome to the Forum. One thing you need to add to your list is to have  a TransAxle on order.?

When  a manufacturer says that the vehicle can not be towed  4 down they have really good reasons. Your Civics transmission is not made to lubricate the unit without the pump being driven by the engine. 

So please rethink your idea.

Herman 

21 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Sundance 44, 

Welcome to the Forum. One thing you need to add to your list is to have  a TransAxle on order.?

When  a manufacturer says that the vehicle can not be towed  4 down they have really good reasons. Your Civics transmission is not made to lubricate the unit without the pump being driven by the engine. 

So please rethink your idea.

Herman 

Thanks for your feedback, I am not dismissing your advice as yet.  I know that many, actually probably most,  individuals on the various RV forums feel the same as you with regard to towing this vehicle.  However, there are more than one or two individuals out there who have towed this same vehicle for an extended period of time with no problems.  What I am trying to do here is differentiate between truth and fiction.  If there is a unique approach wherein this car can be towed I would truly prefer doing so, in as much as I already own the vehicle.  However, if the consensus is that towing this vehicle is foolhardy I won't continue to bloody my head on the wall.  Thank you for your feedback, even if I'd prefer not to hear it. Please stay tuned and let's see if anyone can provide an approach that would make towing this vehicle realistic.

What weight is your Tuscany rated to tow?  You want a 10K tow system for peace of mind?  OK.  How about a different toad for the same reason?  As Bill said, use a dolly or get another car !  A no brainer !

Catl

If you are a Honda guy, a 14 or earlier CRV is hard to beat, we are on our second.  Honda, in their infinite wisdom, put the new trans in it, so model years 15 and later can't be towed four down . 

"I am not dismissing your advice as yet." Quite frankly I  Don't care if you dismiss my advise as I don't have to pay for your repairs.

Bill

Sundance.  Get M&G brake system when you get a toad to tow 4 down.  Forget what you heard on "the grapevine"! :wacko:

I'm in agreement with everyone else, either tow dolly/trailer or use a different vehicle for a toad. You say you've read where some have successfully towed four down; I've also read where someone wasn't killed when their parachute didn't open but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump out of an airplane without a parachute.

2 hours ago, Manholt said:

Sundance.  Get M&G brake system when you get a toad to tow 4 down.  Forget what you heard on "the grapevine"! :wacko:

M&G does not make a braking system for the Honda Civic after 2002.  I suspect that's because they are not considered to be towable on all 4.

Bill, most of the time when M & G doesn't have a unit for a vehicle has to do with space issues. There must be space for the master cylinder to be able to move approx. 4 inches forward and still be able to close the hood. Some vehicles have a power brake booster and master cylinder mounted sideways but still don't have enough room. 

Even great ones like Brett, Joe and yourself can't solve all issues. But they still never stop trying which is good.:)

Herman 

Okay you bunch of hard core old fa--s, you have beat me up one side, down the other and somewhere in between questioned my intellect/sanity.  So, just to prove you all wrong I'm going to move on to the CR-V.  Now keep this on the QT, the CR-V is the vehicle I desired all along but now I have leveraged you guys to convince my wife we couldn't tow the Honda Civic but will now have to replace with a CR-V.  So for that I guess I am indebted. BTW Manholt, you asked what the on my Tuscany was rated at it is indeed a 10,000 lb rated hitch.

Well guys we had a lot of fun here and arrived at a consensus.  So sharpen your wit and your tongues and have soon as I finished licki8ng my wounds I'll be back to get advice and guidance on the CR-V, a 2014 is my objective.

In all sincerity I really appreciate each and everyone of you for taking the time try to point me in the right direction. Not quite so sure the wife is going to appreciate me spending the money on a CR-V but that's where you guys come-in.

sundance44

Note: the new redesigned 2016 Civic with manual transmission IS towable 4 wheels down and is in the FMCA Towing Guide.

Bill.  You know someone will OP about towing a Civic again sometime in the future....now we have a short answer ! :)