shalom

Black Holding Tank Exploded HELP URGENT

My black holding tank built up so much pressure it exploded. Sewage everywhere including out the vent and al over the side of the coach. Must replace, cannot find a replacement. HELP! This is on our Monaco Dynasty Queen IV. Our email is gin63@att.net. Phone is 850 816 6910  I cannot locate a new tank anywhere. Need help finding one. 

Edited by shalom
change

Well, that's something I have never heard off...:o  Where are you at?  Get on Google and look for a large Salvage Yard, they may have one. You also need to clean up coach...:blink: before it dries.

Just out of curiosity, how did it build up that much pressure?  You didn't add Nitrogen did you? :lol: Sorry, can't help it ! 

Call Monaco or whoever owns Monaco these days.  I had to replace my fresh water tank and called Country Coach.  They gave me the original manufacturers name (I wish I could remember) and they only needed the 3 dimensions to determine which sized tank I needed.  They also needed drain and fill connection locations.  They shipped an exact replacement and that was the most expensive part!  They were located in OR which makes sense as CC and Monaco are/were there when the coach was manufactured.

Monaco is owned by EVR now, main factory is still in Decatur, Indiana.  They also have a service center in Coburn, Oregon and Alvarado, Texas.

If you can tell the dimensions, go to ebay and search rv holding tank, there are many listed there. It sounds as though the vent system must have become stopped up,

Here is proof of the ole adage about ice cream and spicy food :wub:.

I would loved to have had a video of it.

Spoke to Shalom, they are in Florida. The explosion split a seam at the top. He has cleaned up the mess and has had the tank dumped. Herman can't find either a replacement or someone to do the work.

I offered Colaws in Missouri and finding a shop that can do plastic welding. 

Sorry, but to quote Jeff Foxworthy,  "I'd pay 10 Bucks to see that". :lol:

Herman 

Check also with marine repair facilities for the name of a plastic tank manufacturer near you.  Lots of boats built in FL-- suspect they are getting their tanks from a nearby provider as they are pretty bulky to ship.

Or you could call a boat builder direct.  Catalina Yachts in Largo FL, for example: Catalina Yachts 727 544-6681.

Seems to me the owner needs to purchase at least three tanks, so that he has two tanks for the future. I googled this issue and found out that an exploding septic tank is not unheard of...he had a build up of methane gas that he failed to vent...in humans we call this farting to control pressure buildup. 

"Improper venting, anaerobic decomposition of the solids can and will produce methane gas."

"Methane gas that is produced by bacteria inside the septic tank is the same gas that my gas company pipes to my house to run my stove and central heat. its natural gas and it can ignite. venting is crucial in really big septic tanks to keep this gas from accumulating."

Based on my research, I think the owner has an excellent sustainable living opportunity = rather than replace the black tank, put in a system  to capture and then use the methane gas in place of propane. 

Here is a link to a diy methane generator: http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/methane_generator.html

Shalom, were you flushing the tank when this happened?

What was the level in the tank when this occurred

Was the coach level?

I just read up on this and I have a better understanding of how it can happen, but still curious if I should pour water down my roof vent to verify its open?

If you hear a chirping sound in vent pipe, the chicks are being forced to learn  too fly ! :lol:

Rodger.  I got to admit that your explanation of this event is...priceless! :D

Shalom.  You have made this day far from the average uneventful day on the Forum !  :lol::lol:  While you are waiting or getting help, use some Gorilla glue and tape.  That will hold it for a while.  Do you still have a useful, other than damage to top of tank, tank ?  Meaning knife switch and ability to connect 3" drain line.

WOW ! 

Most black and grey holding tanks are formed from ABS, it can be ordered online, and some rv suppliers stock it in sheets. If the only damage is the top seam is split, a small sheet of this material can be cut to completely cover the seam. Most box plumbing stores stock the ABS glue "weld", using pipe cleaner clean the surfaces very well, paint the glue onto the entire surface that will accommodate the patch. Place the patch in place and apply pressure for two to five minutes. I have done this in the past for a quick repair until a replacement can be obtained. Have done this for others in the past, five years later, they still have not been replaced. In Alabama, we call a pesky varmint a dirt dauber, it will build a mud nest inside a vent pipe, sometimes birds build nest in them, and the list goes on. If the vent pipe is open, just a quick sniff of it up close and personal will let you know if open enough or not. Also pour a gallon of water down it, if you hear a gurgling sound, signs of a partially stopped up, If open you should hear it make a clean sweeping sound. Also, here is a very good youtube video for making a permanent repair if the area is not flat. It is about 25 minutes.

Just to add to what Kay said. You can dump your tank and then go on top of the coach with a water hose. Put the hose into the vent stack and have someone turn on the water. Then slowly push the hose down the pipe till it reaches the bottom and then slowly remove it. Then dump the tank again. 

By the way if you do this don't use your potable water hose.:huh::wub:

Herman

Just saying...from a safety perspective...-_-

In addition to more proactive and regular black tank flushing, cleaning, and venting procedures...

Add more BBQ steaks, smoked pork ribs, slow-cooked chicken, sugar, salt, beer and wine to your diet to reduce methane gas. 

Avoid beans, fruit, vegetables and health food stores that increase gas.

Following this methodology I have lost 10 pounds, lowered my blood pressure, and write happier posts to the forum.

I don't even need a black tank!!! :lol:

11 hours ago, Manholt said:

Monaco is owned by EVR now, main factory is still in Decatur, Indiana.  They also have a service center in Coburn, Oregon and Alvarado, Texas.

Close Carl, it is REV.  

There was a post here about problems with an American Coach purchased from Lazy Days and bad service. A/C told them to go there since they were a service center.

May just be a rumor.

You know what a big gossip I am.:D

Herman 

LD has always been a service center for the coaches and trailers they sell...since Chapter 11 in 2010, they have become a lousy place for service!  I have not been there since 13' ! :angry:  Now they have added 2 more sales and service locations in Colorado, to go with AZ and FL.  Camping World tried to buy them out in 13'.  Would not surprise me if someone does.

Yes pretty humorous standing on the side lines. I would make the same suggestions for finding a tank at the two RV salvage lots mentioned. I do have a couple questions with respect to replacing it. Does the black water tank sit above the water bay? If it does it should be a fairly easy job to replace it. Really the toughest part is disassembling the water bay support panel and reassembling it. I just did this while making the repairs to the black water piping on my 1999 Safari Panther.

Another thing I discovered on the maintenance trail that had not been done on this coach in it's 16 year 11,781 mile journey was wasp nests in the vent stacks!! Two of them were nearly plugged full. The vent caps installed and still available today do not have an integral screen built in. Like Kay indicated those daubers and wasps just find the perfect location covered and secure from the elements, just build away. It is not something one would check unless trying to improve the ventilation of the overall system, There is a fair bit of work involved pulling up the old sealant. I would add here, that with as little use and some of the time stored indoors, out of 15 screws that retained the vent caps on the roof, only 3 showed no signs of moisture contamination.

Where does the moisture com from in these rigs., all sealed up? It comes from the environment right? When screws rust, they rot, when the screws rot what else rots along with it...you have it , the wood paneling that is the roof structure all is attached to. A very good solution to the problem when upgrading the vent covers, replace the supplied screws with stainless ones available at Home Depot and Lowes, all over priced but they don't corrode. and have the potential of creating long term problems. Those same screws can be ordered on the internet or bought from a hardware supplier for substantial savings.

As Kay indicated, these tanks can be repaired and huge savings made. My tanks are not ABS and no visible seams that I have noticed. ABS piping is installed in a manner that they can be removed and very easily I might add. Remove two stainless screw clamps and wiggle the ABS piping loose from the sealant and out they come. Reassembly of the cut pipe is with a rubber sleeve and clamps from HD or Lowes plumbing department.

Bill Edwards

I sent a PM to OP and the Rev. sent one back.  I did not know that he's in the Pensacola, Milton area of FL.  I told him that Dixie RV Super Center and service is  at Exit 70 East bound I-10 and open today.  Wish I had asked that yesterday !  His wife is on a walker and now is using a plastic bag! :(:(

He sent me a message also. Poor guy! It's a tank, something from another coach has to fit or can be retrofitted to work. 

I spent a lot of time in Pensacola years back but every body I knew then is long gone. The fact that it is the weekend does not help the situation any either.