manholt

Blinking Touchpads

2 years ago at the pre rally in Oregon, I had the Tech from American Coach come to mine, because  the touchpads for all my lights, day/night shades and vents would start blinking for no apparent reason.  Also the day/night shades in hall and bedroom would not work.  The Tech checked a lot of pads and wire harnesses under bed, inverters/chargers and Magnum control panel...problem went away and I was a happy camper!

6 months ago, it came  back and the blinking became worse.  Last night all lights went off, but AC was still working and a clunking noise could be heard, then the pads would all blink when I turned the lights back on...then the AC would cycle and each time, pads would blink. I got  to looking at my control panel and noticed that AC 1 Compressor was on and at 9 amps, #2 was on at 10 amps and #3 was on at 0 amps....I turned off #3 (don't know why) and all blinking stopped and has not done so for 4 hours now.  I also will add that all 8 batteries for house has been checked, ditto for posts, connections, connection to Inverters and grounds!

So, does that mean that I need a new #3 AC unit?  Or am I missing something?

Carl

Carl, I believe they are all in route to Springfield for the rally. I have observed when something like that is going on all you hear on the forum is.....nothing/crickets. Kay will respond to your PM I'm sure.

Bill.  Don't have much choice with the heat wave where having! :(  Sun comes up and it's 74 and an hour later and the feel like temp is pushing 100 !:blink:

Joe.  Your right, crickets!:wacko::P

14 hours ago, Manholt said:

2 years ago at the pre rally in Oregon, I had the Tech from American Coach come to mine, because  the touchpads for all my lights, day/night shades and vents would start blinking for no apparent reason.  Also the day/night shades in hall and bedroom would not work.  The Tech checked a lot of pads and wire harnesses under bed, inverters/chargers and Magnum control panel...problem went away and I was a happy camper!

6 months ago, it came  back and the blinking became worse.  Last night all lights went off, but AC was still working and a clunking noise could be heard, then the pads would all blink when I turned the lights back on...then the AC would cycle and each time, pads would blink. I got  to looking at my control panel and noticed that AC 1 Compressor was on and at 9 amps, #2 was on at 10 amps and #3 was on at 0 amps....I turned off #3 (don't know why) and all blinking stopped and has not done so for 4 hours now.  I also will add that all 8 batteries for house has been checked, ditto for posts, connections, connection to Inverters and grounds!

So, does that mean that I need a new #3 AC unit?  Or am I missing something?

Carl

Carl, does the manual offer a reset option for the panel? And is it the EMS panel that is blinking?

Who made the panel?

Rich.

And yes, I and others are preparing to travel to Springfield or are on the way.

Rich.  I have touch pads all over coach, in front each one has it's own function. like raise day shades, night shades for front and side windows, individually or all at once.  Same on side wall of coach for shades and lights. All total there are 63 of them and 1 toggle switch in bedroom for generator on/off...they all blink white.  Which ever one I have that is on will show blue.

Manual shows nothing!  All it tells me, is that my CB box is in hallway and it's not...it's in bathroom! :wacko: 

I've had Cummins Coach Care, Texas Custom Coach, Motorhomes of Texas and AC try to run it down...no luck!

Carl, with that many panels, are they all blinking or just one panel that controls a specific function?  I kind of have a love / hate relationship with logic control systems ! When they are working, they are wonderful, but if just one little logic IC goes south - they can be difficult to find with out the proper factory test fixtures.

Failed power and logic connections are not to bad, but there a allot of them to check in most cases if one does not have the drawings and there is one specific area the modules control that is failing or quit. So I'm a strong advocate for the KISS principal !

See if you can find any information on who's controls are used in the coach, from manuals or the coach builder and post there thoughts. One or more of the members might have had the same issue(s) and at times its not a faulty module, but mother nature beating up on things.

Rich. 

OK.  Have it narrowed down some what.  This only happens when I'm on Shore Power!  On Generator yesterday, Electric Co. shut everything off to install a new Transformer and add a 400A panel to barn. and had no issues with anything !

When plugged in, now, I'm showing L-1 at 121V and 15A, L-2 at 118-124V and 0A, then there is a clunk and both legs will show 118-120V and 3-15+Amps, depending on what is running.  I have Magnum 2812...2 of them, 4 batteries, each 6V on each Inverter/charger.  Have checked everything step by step on installation and per Electrical schematic on each unit.  All grounds are good.

Don't know and don't care to get involved with 120V from pedestal to coach and coach to battery's.  Built in surge protector.  Circuit Breakers are good and clunk does not come from them.  Don't know how to check the 2 big relays in outside bay next to Battery bay and below Inverters.

Now, don't know what this means?  When I disconnect my power cord and hit the switch for cord retriever, it's real slow and then stops...I looked at my battery reading and they showed 2.6V just before Magnum panel went blank.  Hooked up shore power, everything came back instantly and batteries showed 13.8.  Got generator started and unplugged from shore power and reel worked like a race car and brought cord in all the way. Batteries went to absorption charge at 14.1....No clunk all day!  Mystified...

Carl 

Carl, sounds like two problem's to me;

Problem #1: "I looked at my battery reading and they showed 2.6V just before Magnum panel went blank", unhook and test your batteries individually, sounds like you have one or more that need to be replaced. The reason it went back up to 13.8 is you are now looking at your charger output rather than the actual battery output.

Problem #2: Potential surge protector problem, the output on L2 makes sense if the coach isn't pulling any amperage on that leg at that time, but the clunking you were experiencing yesterday seems to be the surge protector opening and closing one leg on its own which would also explain the one AC unit shutting off, it might be connected to that leg. I would turn on all ac units and recheck L2, is there a draw? Then wait for the clunk and 0Amps now? Is the AC unit shut off again on its own?

This would make sense also as to why it works in generator with no problems. The generator wouldn't be connected to the surge protector, it should bypass that built in surge protector.

Joe.  #3 will not come on and L-2 is showing the same...I'll ck as soon as I finish my cereal and get dressed....showing Voltage 121-124, no amps.  That may also be due to too much voltage?! 

Carl, my surge protector shows the voltage in but 0 amps when nothing is pulling on that leg. Your situation sounds like that leg is not connected internally within the surge protector. You can get AC#3 on with the generator, correct?

Carl, have you called the AC tech line?  They are usually up on all the weird stuff that happens to these beasts.

FIVE.  Going to call today...had no chance yesterday.  I have a suspicion that some of my batteries are shot, I know the generator battery is dead.  Yesterday I had to use the house batteries to start it...I'm having all of them tested today.  The 50A pedestal was fluctuating from 112V-125V on one leg yesterday and the Surge Protector did prevent that leg to run...later the electrician fixed it and I had and currently have 120V on both legs, +/- 1V.  Have not had blinking pads for 36 hours, but still get an occasional "clunk"!  Also #3 AC is still out.

If I have to get new batteries, it will be AGM's...that's what this coach had originally and got changed before I bought it.  I did not mentally Snap to it until a year later. 

Carl, keep us posted. I have a feeling my house batteries are on their last year. I have had to cook mine 2 times this year to get them back in shape, usually its once a year. Hoping they last the season, next year if necessary I will be switching to AGM also.

Joe.  All my batteries where AGM's when it left the factory in Jan. 10'...when I bought it in Nov. 13' it had no AGM's, what happened?  no idea that I want to post !  All I know, is they got a 14' AC Eagle and their from MO.

My engine batteries are AGM and I replaced them when I got my tires in Aug. of 14' & I figure I have another 4 years before replacing.  I have 2 batteries that are bad now and was going to get 4 AGM's and today decided to replace all 8.  4 for each inverter.  They will be installed by Friday.  Brand?  I'll let you know...all I know is that they have a touch more power than the acid ones I have now and warranted for 7 years...longer than I will be the owner.

As FIVE will tell you, they aren't cheap, but it's one less item to worry about.:D