manholt

Blinking Touchpads

I priced them today. $237 each, for Deka. They are local up here, I had their batteries in my Golf cart, they worked.

That's what my friend (we own 1 and share the cost of it and shed at CC) put in ours....got them at SAM's  for $806.  How many you need?  My engine batteries are 2, 12V AGM, I'll have to check what the cranking amps are, it's a bunch!

Every wire in this coach has a white tape on it with a number, so I have a number at a battery post in and out, fuse box with the same number by the fuse...no name telling me what the number represents!  Does 3105=bedroom lights?  Geez!  Have contacted AC and was told to bring coach to them, why?  "When you wire these things, don't you have a diagram or schematic that you follow?"  Could not get a direct answer !  "Can you download the electric schematic on my coach"?  " I'll have to ask!"   This was yesterday.  This is the coach that was used in the 2010 Catalogue with exterior and interior pictures...the first 45Y built. 

Carl 

I have (4) 6 volt batteries in ours for the house. The chassis has two 31 group truck batteries with screw top terminals, they are fine.

My reason for AGM, I often forget about the batteries during the season. The real concern...when its parked for the winter my battery door is against the side wall of my garage, I cant get to them to check water levels while its plugged in and parked. I don't want to start it up in the cold just to pull it 45' to check batteries and back it into the spot and shut it down, not good for the engine, so the lesser of the two evils is roll the dice on the batteries, if they don't go empty over the winter great, if they do....not much I can do.

Mine are on a slide out tray...but you have to remove the pneumatic shock and door first to move the tray!  Also, you got to do the same to get at the reservoir and hydraulic lines for the jacks, its under the batteries!:angry::blink:  There is no sliding tray for the other 8.  Just 2 metal frames to hold them in place. :(

Wow, I have two trays, the upper is chassis and the lower is house, both on slides and the door has a clip on the side wall to hold it open. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my batteries come all the way out, I find it odd that most do not have slide trays, I cant imagine trying to connect them or placing them into a hole as heavy as they are.

Oh yea, my old propane tank...had almost 10 gallons of oil in it, guy just called me. I'm guessing it was the "L" in LPG... My regulator I pulled last night, it and the line were also dripping oil all the way into the trash can :)

Oil?  Why would it have 10 gal of oil?  No wonder it was heavy, that's an extra 70 pounds, unless it was cooking oil at 76 pounds!  Geez! :blink::wacko:

I don't know much about propane, seemed odd to me also. I know CNG has oil suspended in it which has to be drained, not sure about propane. I'm just glad to be rid of all of that, now I can drive through tunnels.

The tank did have a drain on the bottom, again no idea why I thought that was odd also.

SOB !  I just wrote an explanation and it was not accepted by the system again...same problem as yesterday after 9am eastern time! :angry:

Joe, one more time.  Your bundle off wires was probably at one time connected to LPG tank, to heat up the tank and oil so that the LPG would revert back to a useable gas...in very cold conditions above artic circle in Winter!  That is why you had a Brunner LPG tank.

Carl

I will take pictures later and email them to you. It looks like they all head back to the engine or to the rear electrical bay, they just pass through the propane/fuel tank bay and are all twisted up in there. I did find some wires back in the engine bay 2 years ago that went no where, I taped them up and zip tied them out of harms way. Could be the other end of these. shouldn't be hard to figure out where they go on the back end, the front that's a different story.

Seller probably didn't want to take the time to it right, so he just bunched up behind LPG.  Never would have been found, had you not gone electric!:lol:

I just replaced all the batteries in the Panther with lead acid, Crown 260s 6 volt 6 of them. it is by many accounts the best battery manufacturer in the country and all U.S. made. Apparently they are now producing AGMs but I do not have any current info until I get down to pick up another set of 260s for a fellow in Mohawk, NY. I expect 7 to 10 years out of them. The Z still has its original sealed Interstate "Workhorse" chassis batteries, production date 9/2000 in great shape. They load test just fine. It was a U.S. made battery too and of course no longer produced.

Both of the coaches have slide out trays. Panther is the better of the two, door is on cylinders so opens and stays up...nice.

Bill Edwards

Thank you.  I'll keep the Crown in mind....my current,  acid Interstates  Extreme, 6V, 122 mins @ 75A , 232 ah. Top mount. That is what I need in a AGM.

Crown 1 is a AMG 6V GC2H...that's what I need....now waiting for the Thunder storm to go away, so I can measure L, W and H....:P  Oh, they only weigh 79 pounds a piece!

I recently read that there only three heavy duty battery manufacturers left in the US. East Penn Manufacturing is the one in Joe's backyard. Deka is one of their brand names. They make batteries for other labels or companies. Exide, located in Georgia, I think. Don't remember the other one, if there is one. Using lead and chemicals in manufacturing batteries has to be an extremely expensive process. Liability and government regs. When you buy, do you know who really made it? Johnson Controls is doing some lithium stuff.

Check East Penn's website. I think that they build and market an AGM called the Intimidator.

Byron.  Thanks but I have a delivery of 8 AGM's tomorrow and it will be installed, not by me...If I was shorter and 44 years young, like Joe, then I would do it:D  My "six pack" ran away 25 years ago...:P  All I have left is a six pack off beer and a bottle off wine! :lol:

At over 70 pounds apiece, I would not attempt a change out either.  Will be 72 in 9 days. Herman is the weight lifter?.

Herman, I am always willing to jump in and lend a hand, hold my beer and please keep it cold.

Obedb, I will be meeting Kay that day for BBQ in AL. We will have a toast for you :P

Byron.  Happy early Birthday!:)  Had you come nine days early...I could have an extra glass of wine tonight in your honor! :D  Think I'll do that anyway..:P

Joe, give my best to Kay, last time I went through after Perry, I missed him by 5 minutes.  Darn!

On 8/1/2016 at 2:37 PM, jleamont said:

Five, do you have a specific brand you recommend from experience?

Nope.  Never heard anything really bad about any brand.  Just get them from a reputable dealer and be sure they are not old.  Also, don't forget to adjust and set your charger for AGMs.

2 hours ago, FIVE said:

Nope.  Never heard anything really bad about any brand.  Just get them from a reputable dealer and be sure they are not old.  Also, don't forget to adjust and set your charger for AGMs.

Thanks

My 8 are brand new direct from factory and installed this PM.  No more blinking lights or clank, clank noise! :wub:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and patients....:D

OK.  I have blinking touch pads again! :(  My batteries are good, set to AGM, currently on 50A shore.  Yes, the Tech is next door, but I need to know what to do when I'm the only tech around...this has been an on/off problem since I bought the coach in 2013.  The AC Factory Techs looked at it in pre-rally to Redmond, OR, 2014 and could not find anything!

Any one have a thought?

Carl