mikey229617

Parking Brake & Brake Boost Warning Light

I have 2016 Winnebago Vista F35 on Ford chassis with Triton V10 engine.  Recently had unit in for warranty work related to leveling jacks, and when I picked it up the subject warning lights were illuminated.  Chassis manual says both can indicate a significantly serious issue with the brakes.  We have yet to use the RV due to problems with the leveling jacks, but the lights were not illuminated when we left the RV at the dealer for the jack problem.  There were no known problems with the brakes when we took delivery.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue short of taking the RV to a Ford dealer to have the braking system checked?  Manual says could be low brake fluid and I am going to check that this evening, but cannot get RV to a dealer before next month.  Brakes seem to be working OK, but don't want to risk driving the unit anywhere but the dealer if this situation is serious.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mikey,

Where you are located at this time check to see if there is a Ford dealer close. 

Not to defend the RV dealer but there is no correlation between the Jacks and the brakes.  If you don't find that it is low on brake fluid, you can also try to disconnect your positive battery cable for about 15 seconds and then reattach the cable. Then check to see if the lights go out. This will reset the computer and clear a code if it is just an error. However if the lights come back on then go to a dealer, do not pass go, just get there asap. 

Good luck,

Herman 

Call Winnebago service center. Their phone techs are pretty good at  giving you some leads to look into.

I have a Winnebago. Had problems with the jacks for quite some time.  Don't remember if jacks and brakes are connected but my slides are. If the brake is not set I cannot operate my slides so it may be possible that Winnebago added the jacks to the warning system.  Phone calls don't cost anything.

Micky,

Kind of sounds like the park brake system sensor or other issue is not convinced the leveling jacks are up.

What area or system was the warranty work performed on?

Rich.

I don't know for sure on your coach but on my coach if the fluid level is low it thinks the jacks are still down. I would check the reservoir and top it up and see if that helps. Look at the jacks and see if they are all the way up. I would check and top off the brake reservoir and tell us what you find.

Bill 

As Bill say's, visually check that all jacks are up, before you add fluid to reservoir.  When Jacks are down it will show that fluid is low, takes fluid to push jacks down, it comes back when you raise them.  All it takes for light to come on, is 1 jack not all the way up. 

Would help to know what system you got...HWH or ?  What kind of warranty work on Jacks did Dealer do?

Mikey, whatever you do be certain you add the proper fluids to the proper reservoirs (read the caps before you pour). Brake fluid only goes in to the Master cylinder. The hydro boost system operates off of the power steering system, it gets the power steering fluid speced by Ford.

I cant remember how many times I have had to fix a RV that someone poured power steering fluid into the master cylinder.

Is the parking brake light lit up when the paring brake is off?

NOTE: Vehicles with Hydro-Boost® 16,000-19,500 lb Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) require High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid and vehicles with Hydro-Max® 20,500-26,000 lb GVWR require Motorcraft® DOT 5.1 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid.

Principles of Operation

Applying the brake pedal uses lever action to push a rod into the brake booster which, through the use of hydraulic pressure supplied by the power steering pump, multiplies the force of the rod and then transmits this force to the master cylinder. This produces hydraulic pressure in the master cylinder. On vehicles not equipped with ABS, the hydraulic pressure is transmitted by brake fluid through the brake tubes to the individual brake calipers. On vehicles equipped with ABS, the hydraulic pressure is transmitted by brake fluid through the brake tubes to the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) , which then distributes that pressure to the individual brake calipers. The brake calipers use hydraulic pressure to apply the pads. The application of the brake pads will cause the rotation of the wheels to slow or stop depending on how much brake pressure is applied.

Depending on application, some vehicles will be equipped with a Hydro-Boost® brake booster and some will be equipped with a Hydro-Max® brake booster. Both systems use the power steering system to boost brake pedal pressure.

Condition Possible Sources Action
  • The red brake warning indicator is always/never on
  • Parking brake switch
  • Brake fluid level switch
  • Brake differential pressure switch
  • ABS module
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Instrument cluster

Since they were working on the jack system, most if not all of them require the parking brake to be set for the jacks to work. Give that parking brake pedal switch a good look over, they often will use a scotch lock to splice into that system around the area of the switch (usually located on the pedal facing you or on top of it) they might have not plugged it back in properly or damaged the wiring harness. Should be fairly simple to look at and correct either way.

Has anyone discovered the cause?  

I have the same problem with my 2016 Tiffin 36LA (Ford, gas). The Tiffin forum has a few posts that say the cause is a Ford issue, and a recent software update from Ford fixes the problem. I have not yet taken it in to a Ford Dealer to get a flash update.

19 hours ago, brianb131 said:

Has anyone discovered the cause?  

I have the same problem with my 2016 Tiffin 36LA (Ford, gas). The Tiffin forum has a few posts that say the cause is a Ford issue, and a recent software update from Ford fixes the problem. I have not yet taken it in to a Ford Dealer to get a flash update.

Welcome to the forum. Well apparently the OP  Mikey229617 never reported back (it would have been nice) with the results.

You should still be under warranty. I would take it to Ford. Have you called Tiffin and talked to them about it?

Bill