jleamont

Castawy's, Berlin MD

This campground is our favorite. It is so popular I couldn't get a spot for 2015. I just booked 2017 in July of 2016 :huh:. Other campgrounds should take notice and mirror this place. Oh yea, next June they only had one site open???? WOW. I should book 2018 :D!

http://castawaysrvoc.com/

You're right, this is a great campground.  We've been there several times since it opened.  Although expensive, it's worth it.

On 7/26/2016 at 0:55 PM, jleamont said:

This campground is our favorite. It is so popular I couldn't get a spot for 2015. I just booked 2017 in July of 2016 :huh:. Other campgrounds should take notice and mirror this place. Oh yea, next June they only had one site open???? WOW. I should book 2018 :D!

http://castawaysrvoc.com/

How about you enjoy this for the two of us cause they are booked SOLID. 

Yea, if you try before the 2nd week of June, there is a chance and after Labor day you might have a chance, not in the summer. We are booked in early June, I think. Frontiertown is also nice and the Resort at Massey Landing is another one a little north near Cape Henlopin, it is just harder to get to the beach do to its location.

I Googled it...High dollar for small spaces.  I understand that space is at a premium on the North East Coast, but $130 a night is ridiculous!  Where I'm now, I have paved road in all cement slab, full H/U with cable, about 30' of grass between coaches and it's $35 a night...yes it's a resort, with a Deli, Restaurant, Saloon, Spa, Pools and the #4 rated golf resort in the US. :wub:

Carl

Carl, everything up here is like that, most under $85.00 a night have abandoned cars and "RV's" without wheels all over the place. :ph34r: 

I will say the tiki bar on the beach overlooking Ocean City MD makes one heck of a rum punch :) 

Joe.  Can't drink hard liquor.  I go thru a six pack of beer every 3 months or so and a bottle of red wine, every other week on average! :o

My model only came with 1 liver...:(:rolleyes:

Carl

On 10/20/2016 at 3:33 PM, jleamont said:

Carl, everything up here is like that, most under $85.00 a night have abandoned cars and "RV's" without wheels all over the place. :ph34r: 

YOUR RIGHT!  The Capital Area KOA in Millersville MD at minimum is 80 a night. I would assume it is because its right off the beaten path on I 97 AND its KOA. Its super clean from what i saw the other day but 80 bucks a night is a Hotel by the airport. 

Saying that to say - It doesnt make sense to camp when a flight and hotel end up being cheaper for 2 people. Unless it is off the beaten path like Ocean City where flying is, but isnt an option alot of places in my area of Baltimore out price themselves. OC ... your gonna PAY 3x's that for a hotel in June so it just makes sense to bring your own house on wheels if you can get a reservation. 

As for Baltimore, Its almost discouraging to a degree but at the same time it makes you a resourceful camper. The Walmart just 4 miles up the way from the KOA will allow you to stay a night OR 2 if your not a bother to folks. I mean ... I am not going to burn 82 bucks in gas for the genny in a 8 hour period that I am going to sleep. In fact, everything I need runs on 12V house batteries so I wouldnt even fire the genny unless I needed the AC. 

Now that I am thinking about it, 85 bucks is what I am paying to stay in Disney during SnowBird season so I am not paying that to stay in a KOA in Baltimore/Millersville MD; when you can run I-95 or i-83 and there are plenty of places to pull off and call it a night so you just have to be prepared to rough it for the evening. Word to the Wise, 83 from Hunt Valley to the PA line has Park and Rides. IF you stay at one be prepared to get out of dodge early because your coach will get blocked in and you might not be able to move it until 6 that evening. 

My $.02

Some things don't make sense!  8 hours on Generator = $82 in gas?  You mean $8.20? Airport Hotel and Flight is cheaper for 2, than a night in a RV Park?

Carl 

22 hours ago, manholt said:

Some things don't make sense!  8 hours on Generator = $82 in gas?  You mean $8.20? Airport Hotel and Flight is cheaper for 2, than a night in a RV Park?

Carl 

Unfortunately Carl, camping in the Baltimore area sucks. My response to the original quote is simply saying everything in this area is super expensive. The reason that the campgrounds on the Eastern Shore are so expensive is the same reason that the campgrounds in Baltimore and surrounding areas are so expensive ... Supply vs demand.

There are only 4 campgrounds in the immediate Baltimore area that are accessible to the major highways. 1 being Millersville that is directly off 97, the next closest campground is off of I-70 which is over in a town called Lisbon comma about fifteen Miles or so outside of Baltimore and then you have Freeland Maryland which is less than a mile from the Pennsylvania line on Interstate 83.

Getting back to the response, What I'm trying to say is you're not going to spend 80 some dollars using the generator for 8 hours. Therefore it's cheaper to Boondock somewhere than it is to stay at that KOA Campground. its the closest to Baltimore city and your gonna pay a preimium for it. 

If I have to travel let's say from Norfolk to Baltimore for a visit, round trip that is about $150 maybe two hundred bucks in gas and your looking at 240 to stay at the camp ground.  For 390 bucks you can fly and stay at a hotel.

There's absolutely no incentive to drive your coach and stay at that KOA for time in Baltimore. That's ultimately what I'm trying to say. 

Keon.  That made more realistic sense!  You also have less real estate for the amount of people, then throw in a million tourist's and I can see where the demand, far exceeds the supply! :o 

There is also a shortage of campgrounds up in the area that can house a larger coach (over 27 feet), then you throw a 50 amp site on top of that...forget about it! You will spend so much time searching that will make you more exhausted than driving the taxes and cost of living is all so out of sight it drives up the price per night. So the ones that offer 50 amp big rig charge a premium, these CG's also happen to be newer with a lot of amenities so that also adds to the cost. Before you know it Wal-Mart and Cracker Barrel become more desirable for a one nighter. I always look at safety in the area we are located vs the price of one night in a CG, depending on where we are I weigh out my options and risks.

A one night stay in Georgia along I95 the last time cost me $10.00, up here its a full charge of $80.00 (24 hour rate). Other parts of the county it seems like once they close the rate changes for an overnight stop as long as you are out by a certain time If for only to get some sleep and plug the coach in vs run the generator, the generator is going to run all night and I'm going to pass on the CG. Since I don't own a CG I really cannot comment why they do that but a prorated charge might be appealing enough for me to sway the opposite direction. For a 8-10 hour stay I'm not paying a 24 hour rate, especially at those prices.

Joe.  There are no pro rated charges anywhere in the US or Canada that I know about now, there used to be, but now there are virtually millions of RV's and I think you know as well as I, that some folks are going to hook everything up, even for 8-10 hours!  Abuse the system!  So, I don't blame the CG for being full price!!!

Your right about small less than 30 foot spaces and it don't get better the further North you go...then the fact that a lot of trailers are left at the camp site until next season!  DW and I preferred to be in New England from mid August to mid September.  We used most of the same CG every year, but when we got the 34 foot Barth, all that changed.  The only one we could still use was a CG in Providence, Cape Cod and on a Island about 20 miles North of Portland, Main!

Carl

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

There is also a shortage of campgrounds up in the area that can house a larger coach (over 27 feet),

Your CORRECT AGAIN!!!!

A lot of people use Stated Parks in then South and West for Camping which typically have a reduced rates compared to private CG's. However the state parks here in MD your only going to get a space for something 30ft  lets and 30ft is asking a LOT. IF your over 11 ft your in a whole different ball game. I can take my short 35ft coach to 1 campground that is a state park but If I come in, i can only use one entrance and it only has 20 amp service. So on a hot day, one AC and no one washes their hair and uses the dryer. 

I tried booking at Castaway's for 3 days in July and they said I should have booked in late 2014 early 2015. Any they are 115 a night i think? Anyway ... Welcome to the Mid Atlantic

Yea, we look at state parks as tent sites only, you are groomed to that when you live up here. On occasion we are proven wrong but not often. Elsewhere in the country it's a different story. I always book Castaways on the off season, which for them can also be early June, with the exception of Memorial Day weekend.