Sign in to follow this  
BennieH

Litter Box Idea For Our Cats

For our 2 cats, we were trying to find the "right" spot for the litter box. Pam & I did some looking and measuring. Here is what I built. It will fit in a corner by the dining table or it can be placed next to the recliner and the height works in either location. The litter box goes in the bottom and Pam is making a curtain that will cover the opening. It's currently in the living room so that both of them can get used to it. As you can see in the one photo, Louie is inspecting it. So far it has their approval.

We hope put it in the coach this weekend (if they allow us to!). I'll post some photos with it in place later.

Cat Tree 1.JPGCat Tree 2.JPG

Looks like a great job. Have you considered one for the house and one for the coach, that way moving from one to the other want seem like being disrupted each time you go from house to coach. We have four Yorkies that travel with us and they don't mind moving back and forth.

Kay.  Dogs are easy! :rolleyes:  Cats, like women, make no logical sense !  :wacko:  Hope I'm not in trouble...:(

Carl 

We owned and loved dogs for forty years. Last one passed Nov 2013. We now have two cats that are good companions, and I am not walking them on late chilly and sometimes rainy evenings trying to get them to find the perfect spot to poop or pee so I can go to bed. As I write this , Woody, our 15 pound brown tabby is curled up next to me. His likeness with the orange nose appears on cat foods and treats regularly.

Ob,

How do you deal with the litter box, anything special, any particular spot for it, any extra air movement facilities/ventilation to the outside? Any odor problems. What kind of litter, a particular type?  I love cats and have had a Seal Point Siamese, 15 pounds and 16 years old. The boss of any and every other animal in the neighborhood. I would have another for sure. He was neutered and no shortage of confidence. He was funny and new that laughter was important for everybody on his watch. He learned that at a very young age and nurtured it his entire life. How do they know stuff like that, how do they figure it out. In some ways they are like burros, very smart!

Bill Edwards

I miss having a dog around.  It's a small price to pay to get a little chilly or wet, feed it and give water, for unconditional love!   Cats, they are fine when they belong to someone else!  Oh, well, nice to know there is something for everyone out there.

We use Worlds Best cat litter. Yes. That is the name. Big chain pet stores carry it. It is expensive when compared to popular brands , but it lasts a long time and no odor. We clean the litter box every time they use it. Sets right out in the open. 

My wife has a keen sense of smell. Me not so good anymore. She swears there is no odor. We scoop the waste into a brown paper lunch bag and then place that bag into a plastic food bag, tie it with a twistee, and place it in trash can. Takes about a minute. Let the waste accumulate before cleaning and creat a problem  for your nose. 

We have seven cats that go with us. Litter box is in the shower when parked. I scoop at least twice a day or more often depending on a "sniff" test! Here are three of ours. These are Japanese Bobtails, the one on the right at the windshield is on her first trip in the MH.

SDC10595.JPG

We use an electric, automatic-scooping litter box,(rather, the cat uses it) and she loves to sit and watch it operate.  We've asked several visitors if they could smell it and each have said, "No". 

We travel with three medium sized dogs and our one remaining cat in a 27-ft. Winnebago with two slides.  Needless to say, if we didn't have niches for everything we would start to feel crowded.  Unfortunately, we have to put the kitty litter box under our kitchen settee.  But we use clumping cat litter, clean it daily or more often, and use a Litter Genie Plus.  This item is like a Diaper Genie.  It is a covered plastic 2 ft. tall tube-shaped container with a cartridge in the top that contains a continuous roll of liner material.  The cartridge lasts for weeks.  The best thing about Litter Genie is that it has a spring operated trap door inside.  Litter goes down into the liner, trap door snaps shut, and there is no odor at all.  When it is full you just extend the bag material enough to tie a knot, slice it off with the slicer incorporated into the Litter Genie, pull out new bag material, tie a knot in the bottom, and you are ready to go another week.  When necessary we even add our doggy poop bags to the Litter Genie.  I have a sensitive nose and was worried about litter box smell in the camper, but there is no odor at all.  Maybe someday we will find a better place for the litter box, but right now everything is working fine, and we have been on the road for three months.  Will use the Litter Genie at home, too, when we get back there.  Litter Genie Plus is available in pet stores or on-line.  I have heard that the cartridges are also available at Walmart, but that the number of linear feet of bag is less.  We bought ours on-line.  I can only say that I am delighted to be traveling with our 13-year old cat.  He is our oldest animal and gets 5 gold stars for adjusting almost immediately to camper life and road travel.  He is actually better than the dogs, though they do fine.  Still have one dog who objects, after five years, whenever the sliders go in and out.  Walls are just not supposed to move!  Traveling with no animals is simpler, but we would not travel without ours.