ajshepherd

Custom BBQ Grill For The Basement

I thought I would share a great job that County Coach did for us this month.  Our MH did not have a permanent BBQ grill or basement fridge/freezer.  The CC woodwork shop built this cabinet and hard surface top to meet our needs.  They did a great job and I wanted to share there workmanship with you all.

The BBQ grill is permanently mounted, a propane line installed so we only have to fill the main tank when needed.  Our in coach stove is propane also, but nothing else runs of the main tank.  Our fridge is electric and the hot water heater is electric/diesel.

When they installed the freezer it was just a plug in and done.  I did not realize that it can also be used as a fridge.  This will work nicely for short trips (Cold drinks outside) or as a long term freezer for more fulltime operations down the road.

If you are looking for quality custom work and have a CC or other MH, check out the rates and options with County Coach in Junction City, OR.

Shepherd Grill & Freezer.JPG

One good thing is that it pulls out a good bit away from the coach. Another is the table top to lay a tray of ribs on, etc. 

The two wooden doors should hold the grill from moving around towards the bay door when traveling. 

I assume when the grills are removed you have access to the drip pan. 

The critical part is the robustness of the bottom tray and that there is sufficient room between the lid when up and the table top. 

You probably know that with the lid down you have a second oven. 

Rodger S. 

I like it.  It would even work on mine, all electric coach...my Weber is gas.  That being said, Oregon is a little longer away from me than you!

Carl

Sorry, forgot.  I would have it made out of Aluminum, not wood.  Possibility of fire in bay, no matter how remote that might be, I don't want to worry about.  Safety first !!!

I would focus more on replacing RV refrigerators when their warranty expires and installing a fire suppression system in the engine bay. These are two well documented common reasons fires occur in motorhomes. Then advocate having a habitation service performed yearly and upgrading the emergency exits on motorhomes. 

http://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/28_firesafety.php

"Your typical motorhome is constructed from highly flammable materials. Add in the fact that your motorhome carries propane plus either gasoline or diesel fuel, throw in a maze of electrical systems and wiring and then bounce it down the road until something fails, and you quickly realize that there is a fair amount of potential for a fire to start.

Most RV fires begin in one of two areas: Typical RV refrigerators utilize evaporative cooling, which utilize a propane burner or electric element to provide that heat. If the propane burner on the back of the refrigerator overheats it can easily start a fire.

On a rear-engine diesel pusher there is also the potential for an engine bay fire. Diesel engines are turbocharged and the turbocharger gets very hot during operation, especially when climbing grades. If a hydraulic line or fuel line were to leak, it can easily spray fuel over the engine compartment. Once ignited by the hot turbocharger, it can quickly get out of control.

RVs are equipped with a fire extinguisher, per NFPA code. However, these only meet the minimum requirements set by law. It has no bearing on its ability to adequately extinguish a fire in your RV. It's generally undersized and not up to the task."

===============================

Per Caravan Guard. 

1) 30% of the fires occurred when the motorhome was in storage.

2) 14% Electrical or engine faults when on the road when driven. We’ve handled many claims where policyholders have noticed smoke coming from either the rear or under the bonnet of the motorhome. (electrical faults don’t develop overnight)

3) 8% refrigerators. 

"Many motorhome fires are preventable. It’s recommended that motorhomes, their base vehicles and their habitation areas are serviced on an annual basis, even if the motorhome isn’t used that often. This is because problems can occur during long periods of storage. It’s important to have the motorhome base vehicle serviced for two main reasons: it must be deemed roadworthy by a qualified mechanic and there must be no signs of deterioration on tyres, suspension, in the engine and in other areas."

"A full habitation service for example, covers gas pipes and water heater checks, sockets and charging systems, alarms and ignitions, lights, exhausts, tyre pressure, seals and even fridges. Fridges are a surprisingly common factor in motorhome fires, in fact they account for 8% of all motorhome fire claims."

"The claims team here at Caravan Guard recently heard from one customer whose motorhome caught fire whilst in transit (see image above and below). The engine fire was caused by an undiscovered bird/rodent nest in the motorhome’s exhaust. The fire was so severe, the motorhome – a 2012 American A-Class worth around £130,000 – was written off. Our underwriters, Royal and Sun Alliance (RSA), went on to refund the amount in full."

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/fire-risks-when-storing-your-motorhome-5650/

============

Looks good! I now carry one of these thanks to a few recommendations from fellow FMCA members.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/town-travel-portable-series/ptg/TFT17LLA.html

And I also carry a Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill, everything else is going out for the yard sale this fall.

I prefer to have the storage space rather than a design like this. If I had a front short bay I would consider this (only two full pass through's)but in Stainless or aluminum, mostly because of bad weather, if its cooling down and started to rain the wood could become damaged and cleaning, I can pressure wash aluminum or stainless. I have no more propane on board and I am pulling the tank tomorrow, so its portable containers for me or charcoal. They did do a fine job on the setup.

16 hours ago, RodgerS said:

One good thing is that it pulls out a good bit away from the coach. Another is the table top to lay a tray of ribs on, etc. 

The two wooden doors should hold the grill from moving around towards the bay door when traveling. 

I assume when the grills are removed you have access to the drip pan. 

The critical part is the robustness of the bottom tray and that there is sufficient room between the lid when up and the table top. 

You probably know that with the lid down you have a second oven. 

Rodger S. 

Hi Roger:

Yes to everything!  But you caught the most important fact, another oven.  Or in our case our only oven!  Our coach did not have an oven when spec'd, so this is a big plus for us.

For your new oven!

Try to cook based on what is in season as you walk through a local farmer's market. Don't think recipe first.

=============

Today I purchased some heirloom tomatoes. Cut about a 1/4 off the top, scoop out a small depression. Mix some Panko crumbs mixed with some extra virgin olive oil, and fill the depression. Spread a good layer of crumbly blue cheese or thin slices of blue cheese on top. 

=============

Heat your grill, cover down until max hot. Don't put the tomato on top of a hot grill where the "flame" is directly underneath or you will have a mess. If you have two burners. Heat using one burner and place the tomatoes on the non-flame grill side. Lid down. Won't take long. Done when the blue cheese is melted and the tomato is soft. Next time adjust the heat for your cover down oven as you think appropriate as each grill is different, in particular if there are any burnt parts...or check things more often............. 

However, every time you open the oven cools things down and stuff takes longer. 

Alternatively experiment with a cooking stone or equivalent, as you would for cooking a pizza inside your grill, if you don't have a hot and warm side. The raised portion of the grill might work out just fine too. 

Oven grilling = lid down, lower or high heat. Grilling = lid up always max heat. But always lid down to head the grill and clean the grates a bit. 

==========

Oven grill chicken wings in fry pan, cover down, max heat vs fried in oil wings. Massively good, crispy,  and you just need salt and pepper. Be sure to carefully cut excess fat off wings...not needed. Be sure to heat the fry pan before, so the wings sizzle when you thrown them on. 

==========

Made smoked ribs yesterday. 4 hours to marinate, 6 hours to smoke 180 degrees, 2 to 4 hours based on desired texture 240 degrees. The advantages of temperature controlled pellet grills!!!

Visitors must bring quality beer or quality wine. Cheap tickets eat at MacDonalds. Uncivil, messy, and noisy neighbors need to agree to cut you some slack if they want to eat. 

Change behaviors through good cooking invitations. Stop complaining and being irritated! 

Carl, you are invited as soon as we can get together. 

Rodger S. 

2 hours ago, RodgerS said:

For your new oven!

Try to cook based on what is in season as you walk through a local farmer's market. Don't think recipe first.

=============

Today I purchased some heirloom tomatoes. Cut about a 1/4 off the top, scoop out a small depression. Mix some Panko crumbs mixed with some extra virgin olive oil, and fill the depression. Spread a good layer of crumbly blue cheese or thin slices of blue cheese on top. 

=============

Heat your grill, cover down until max hot. Don't put the tomato on top of a hot grill where the "flame" is directly underneath or you will have a mess. If you have two burners. Heat using one burner and place the tomatoes on the non-flame grill side. Lid down. Won't take long. Done when the blue cheese is melted and the tomato is soft. Next time adjust the heat for your cover down oven as you think appropriate as each grill is different, in particular if there are any burnt parts...or check things more often............. 

However, every time you open the oven cools things down and stuff takes longer. 

Alternatively experiment with a cooking stone or equivalent, as you would for cooking a pizza inside your grill, if you don't have a hot and warm side. The raised portion of the grill might work out just fine too. 

Oven grilling = lid down, lower or high heat. Grilling = lid up always max heat. But always lid down to head the grill and clean the grates a bit. 

==========

Oven grill chicken wings in fry pan, cover down, max heat vs fried in oil wings. Massively good, crispy,  and you just need salt and pepper. Be sure to carefully cut excess fat off wings...not needed. Be sure to heat the fry pan before, so the wings sizzle when you thrown them on. 

==========

Made smoked ribs yesterday. 4 hours to marinate, 6 hours to smoke 180 degrees, 2 to 4 hours based on desired texture 240 degrees. The advantages of temperature controlled pellet grills!!!

Visitors must bring quality beer or quality wine. Cheap tickets eat at MacDonalds. Uncivil, messy, and noisy neighbors need to agree to cut you some slack if they want to eat. 

Change behaviors through good cooking invitations. Stop complaining and being irritated! 

Carl, you are invited as soon as we can get together. 

Rodger S. 

WOW!  Yum!  Thanks.

Rodger.  Pellet grills are great for long and slow!  Drooling, we are smoking trout tonight.  Along with grilled tomatoes, from the garden and cast iron fried cabbage, same garden! :D Before any one asks, fresh trout fly's overnight by UPS, just like Main lobster, to us poor Texans! :P

Joe.  When you get rid off gas tank, you'll have a place for the Webber, put it on a slide out...no box needed ! :lol:  But, with some imagination, that you have plenty off, think box or out of box, about container !

Carl

You guys are killin me. I have looked at the induction cook top and it's size is perfect to fit the Gagganau  (sp) 2 burner recess in the Panther. I do not have to modify anything except make the hole bigger and set it in and plug it in. I checked last night. After that goes no need for the propane tank either and now there is a Traeger pellet Grill/smoker for we that like to cook. Good thing this coach has a lot of solar because I do not like firing that gen set either. I like quiet and peaceful on the road. What do you suppose a 35 gallon full propane tank weighs?

Joe, at you altitude how fast will a pot of water boil. I am trying to access how much power is used by one of these cook tops. 

This thread just gave me another idea for the Panther. This coach cargo bay is very different and there is less of it since it is a side radiator coach. It lost two bays space as a result. It is a side entry so the door and stairs take up space. It has a Hurricane heat set up and that took a hole narrow bay. They did not use the rt front corner for anything, naughta, ,nothing zipo. It is huge. It is large enough to put my 200 pound +- tool box on a set of slides. Fab up a frame, make a door with the hinge that is already there, a couple pieces from a wrecked coach at Colaws and I am in business. It will counter act the weight on the other side of the brakes, steering gear and associated stuff. The gen set is in the middle. Better balance is key!!

Bill Edwards

Bill, at your altitude it would be approx. 198 degrees, but it will take longer, about 25%, cooking time to get there.  Higher the altitude=lower temp for boiling.  Joe would be at normal 212 degrees, as I.  Denver is 202 + 20% cook time.

Bill, my propane tank is 64 gallons! It's 7' long and 2'9" tall. The last propane appliance was the cook top to go. Still have if anyone knows someone that wants one to convert to a counter top or outdoor cook top, double burner. I have to buy higher quality pots for the coach, the cheap ones we have had for years are magnetic but do not heat well, we have All Clad in the house, water boils quickly in those but $$$, trying not to spend that much for the coach. When I meet up with Kay in a few weeks I want to look at the Magma set he has, might be a good fit for us.

I carry a Lodge cast iron Dutch over (the largest they make) and a small one. I often will cook over the fire on my tripod, and let food sit in that and cook most of the day. Potatoes, onions, cheese and bacon go well in it over the fire. I also will roll out buttermilk biscuits and bake them in it also, just to name a few. Ok now I'm hungry. :lol:

I just came in from starting a Brisket on the smoker at the house, I've got a few friends coming over later to help pull this tank from the coach, have to feed them!

Funny thought, I have removed almost 1000 lbs from this coach since we have had it. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, jleamont said:

I have removed almost 1000 lbs from this coach since we have had it. :rolleyes:

I did just about the same when we stopped taking my mother-in-law with us.:D:wub:

Herman

13 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

I did just about the same when we stopped taking my mother-in-law with us.:D:wub:

Herman

Wow!!! :lol:

Sorry, let me say that I had one of the most wonderful Mother-in-laws a fellow could ever ask for. She passed away in 2005 and has been missed everyday since. God rest her beautiful soul.

Herman

Herman.  Now that your back in your DW good graces...:lol:

Joe. Except for a small cast iron griddle, everything I cook with in coach, is All Clad.  Got mine at half the cost, in a restaurant supply store in LA.  Knifes also.  You ever headed that way, I'll give you directions.  Also, there is a store in Crawly, LA. that has cast iron dutch ovens that goes from  30 - 200 gallons and CI pots that you can do Jambalaya for 2,500 hungry folks in...friend has 3 off them, he cooks for church benefits as a retirement hobby! :blink::wacko:   

J,

Did you buy the tripod or make it? I too have a Dutch oven I tote around. Used to pack it into the back country with burros. It has satisfied many a hungry Boy Scout.  One of my favorites, simple and easy...Campbell soup even portions no additional water Cream of mushroom and French onion, chicken thighs (for me) wrapped in Canadian bacon and a serious dollop of sour cream, and what ever seasoning you like. Let the charcoal do the rest...there will not be any left over!

My tank is not that big, half maybe. Gads 65 gallons, they thought you were going on a voyage!  I think I will google All Clad

Bill 

Demeyere pans

Global knives

Kitchen Aid Mixer

Thermoworks Quick Read Digital Probe

Green Mountain Pellet Grill/Smoker

Kitchen on Fire Cooking School

Chef Mohr's Web Cooking School

Rodger S. 

Bill.

http://toughtripod.com

i figured if you can swing an anvil from it should take the abuse I give it. Very HD! 

I welded a quick link to my Dutch oven handle :D, now I just reach over and snap it to the carabiner the tri pod came with

Very interesting.  Think I'll get the one for $149, got a few ideas I would like to try out.  My Dutch Oven at the house, is the really old fashion kind, that you can fit right on the fire and lay a layer of coals or hot rocks on top of lid...it's older than dirt ! 

At Easter I warm the ham and put potatoes all around it wrapped in foil. The Ham gets more smoke and melts in your mouth