SHOVELDOG

Seeking Thoughts on Buying 1994 Allegro Bus

I find it interesting that a great RV inspector like Rodger would not know about the Monaco problem with the 4 bagger trailing arms. :P

Bill

1) As I stated in an earlier post, one quick step, as part of the process, would be to research that particular coach for problems.  If you put in the description of the coach followed by the word "problems," with a generic internet search, this issue comes right up.

2) If you put up the trailing arms issue as a research question in various forums, you find out there is an aftermarket fix for the problem. 

Either way, once you make the dealer aware of the issue, then you negotiate the fix as part of the contract. 

Rodger S. 

Rodger S.  You have lied to us!  Go back to what you wrote on "Confused about Newmar and Thor", yesterday!  What are you doing back?!  You promised to leave Forum for good!

Carl

4 hours ago, RodgerS said:

1) As I stated in an earlier post, one quick step, as part of the process, would be to research that particular coach for problems.  If you put in the description of the coach followed by the word "problems," with a generic internet search, this issue comes right up.

2) If you put up the trailing arms issue as a research question in various forums, you find out there is an aftermarket fix for the problem. 

Either way, once you make the dealer aware of the issue, then you negotiate the fix as part of the contract. 

Rodger S. 

Perhaps you should have done that before gushing on about what a great deal it was. Please tell us again about what a discerning detail orientated and meticulous inspector you are.:P

Bill

Bottom line, for me at least, is that 1994 is too old, too many problems and things to go wrong.

The main problem is geting an older coach financed if you need to. Most places won't loan on something 10 years or older, if they do it is credit card rates and short terms.

Bill

The exception to that, is a Marathon, Millennium, Liberty, Coach Works or  Texas Outlaw...16 years old & your still talking $150K to $200K, 06' models are in the $500K+ range! :o On a cookie cutter coach, over 10 years old, yea...cash and carry!  94' is market value...just like the old GMC's, who cares how many times it's been upgraded?  Only the seller!  A 94' Prevost...I might consider $25K, but it would have to be in great shape! :P  Bill Adams has a 88' and he's at Prevost, Dallas waiting on parts, bet their and the labor is not cheap!

Carl 

When we bought this one it was 12, I was told the only way to finance over 10 is above average credit score. Anything over 15 forget it, lots of money down and above average credit score. Beyond that.... forget about it. I had my heart set on a 1998 Country Coach Intrigue. One owner garage kept 70,000 miles and it looked like it had never been used. The guy built street rods, owned the business. Couldn't get it financed unless I put 80% down. 

The basement door jambs were polished. It looked like it belonged in a show, man did I want that coach!!

anyway, I would take an older one over a newer one, they were built better and simpler. Both equal less problems in my eyes and when a problem arises, simple to fix. 

By the way Good Morning!

2 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

:rolleyes:Oh woe is we with our older coach conversions!:wub:

You got the hot set up!! I may do that with the next one. I can engineer it for durability, not bling and watch it break all the time.

Kay. I would take your coach, any time, over a Custom Conversion by a Manufacturer!  I don't like "Bling"!  It has no useful purpose and a total ***** to keep clean!:angry: 

shoveldog;

Can really get to be frustrating...been there done that.  Been looking for about 18 mo, went and walked through a few... saw one that we liked, but was told I couldn't by it by the seller, had another interested party flying in to see it, they had 1st choice... I can respect the seller on that...bottom line it sold.  Called on a few and was always a day late!  Well, today I am flying to Calif. to look at, what I hope will be my new (to me) motorhome...1999 Tiffin Allegro Bus.  You might do some searches on RVT.com and RVTrader.com you can input your $ limit and search by brands if you like.  That is how I found the latest one.

Good Luck

Speck

Certainly hope you have better luck with this one!  Don't know where you live, but me, the only way I would fly anywhere, for a coach, is to P/U a new one!

Good Luck & let us know how it turned out.

Carl

7 hours ago, Manholt said:

Certainly hope you have better luck with this one!  Don't know where you live, but me, the only way I would fly anywhere, for a coach, is to P/U a new one!

Good Luck & let us know how it turned out.

Carl

When you buy one it is "NEW" to you. I wouldn't hesitate if I found one that I was looking for and the price was right and my inspector said it was a good one. Why wouldn't you if you are saving enough money.

Bill 

Just a suggestion on out of town searching/deal making (from prospective of someone who has done that multiple times and has done a LOT of coach mechanical inspections):

Do not be afraid of dealing on an out of town coach.  This assumes that you have narrowed down your short list and are certain that the coach will meet your needs if it turns out to be a good one.

Get plenty of pictures. Ask for pictures of any of the negatives as well-- evidence of water leaks, body damage, etc.

Ask for copies of maintenance records or if just receipts that they are available when you view the coach.

Agree on a price.  And VERY IMPORTANT: The agreed price in cash (you either have cash or financing already lined up) is subject to inspection, said inspection to be performed by XX date. Note: this does not limit you to your own inspection or one done by a 3rd party.  Obviously, the sooner the date, the better from the seller's perspective.  In most cases, the fact that you are flying/driving long distance to look at the coach will preclude the need for a deposit.  If deposit is required, make sure it has the above "subject to" clause.

Have the seller send you a photo of the front and back of the title showing that it is in his name (unless dealer). Sure, he can write VOID across what he sends you.  But you want to confirm that he CAN give you clear title.  If a lien on the title, have him provide you with the name of an officer at his lending institution so you can confirm ownership and payoff.

Inspect the coach. If it passes your inspection, I strongly suggest you have a professional inspection done WITH YOU THERE.  I used to do inspections and do written reports-- still do occasionally.  But there is so much that can be better communicated by you "seeing what the inspector is seeing".  Discuss what needs to be done now, what can wait, what you feel you want to tackle, what you want to hire out.

Next is the actual transaction.  Certainly have your financing lined up ahead of time. Get the name of an officer at YOUR bank so you can pull the trigger quickly if you decide to proceed.  If no lien, easiest for both of you to go to either his bank or a branch of your bank, him with title in hand.  If his bank: Have an officer at his bank contact your bank officer with drafting instructions.  This happens very quickly these days.  You are protected, as you will get the title and any paperwork you need in your home state to register it (you brought it with you) and it can be notarized by his bank. He is protected because he does not hand over keys until his banker said "the money is in his account". If at a branch of your bank, the bank can hand him a Cashier's check or wire transfer.  No one should accept a Cashier's check unless it they see it come directly from a banker-- to easy to be forged. To me, the wire transfer confirmed by both party's banks is the safest for everyone.

If a lien on it, your banker and the lender's banker can work out best way to proceed.  Basically, if your banker his happy, you should be happy.

Enjoy your new coach!

"When we bought this one it was 12, I was told the only way to finance over 10 is above average credit score.
My personal point of view is that the CASH cost of the used coach, inspections, upgrades, and road ready maintenance and repairs, should leave enough money in the piggy bank to pay for the on-the-road traveling costs. If I have to take a loan out on an old coach, I would rather take the dog for a walk around the block and keep looking.

I suppose it would be different if I planned to go full time, but a coach really, in an of itself, means nothing to me...it is simply a vehicle to go on a journey. 

I know that to some of you, the coach itself, even when not moving means quite a bit to you. And I understand that. 

===================

"Do not be afraid of dealing on an out of town coach." I would agree, in fact I think it broadens one's choices. From my point of view an important part of that is the questions you ask. And despite being an inspector myself, I have no problem hiring an out of town inspector or service tech, before I make a trip, to confirm some of the representations being made to me by the owner. And sure, I will redo all the inspections again when I get there and take pictures as well.

I would add that it is likely you will be able to talk with the current repair shop the owner is using as well. Using the VIN you can also research the history of the vehicle, and using this and other internet sites you can research the specific RV for problems and available solutions. 

====================

My two biggest concerns with a used coach are water damage and the chassis/engine. If it passes along with no known endemic unsolvable problems for that specific coach, the rest can be taken care of with upgrades and repairs...just kick the Sxxx out of it. 

Rodger S. 

Note: alternative choices: $62,395 buys a  2017 Jaguar F-type - sports car purity and performance in a pretty Jaguar. 

Or the new F-type SVR, which raises output of the F-type R’s 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 to 575 horsepower,

the price to $126,945, and top-speed potential to 200 mph, making this the hottest street Jaguar ever. 

Quick, precise, and supermodel gorgeous.

On 8/24/2016 at 4:02 PM, RodgerS said:

"When we bought this one it was 12, I was told the only way to finance over 10 is above average credit score.
My personal point of view is that the CASH cost of the used coach, inspections, upgrades, and road ready maintenance and repairs, should leave enough money in the piggy bank to pay for the on-the-road traveling costs. If I have to take a loan out on an old coach, I would rather take the dog for a walk around the block and keep looking.

I suppose it would be different if I planned to go full time, but a coach really, in an of itself, means nothing to me...it is simply a vehicle to go on a journey. 

I know that to some of you, the coach itself, even when not moving means quite a bit to you. And I understand that. 

===================

"Do not be afraid of dealing on an out of town coach." I would agree, in fact I think it broadens one's choices. From my point of view an important part of that is the questions you ask. And despite being an inspector myself, I have no problem hiring an out of town inspector or service tech, before I make a trip, to confirm some of the representations being made to me by the owner. And sure, I will redo all the inspections again when I get there and take pictures as well.

I would add that it is likely you will be able to talk with the current repair shop the owner is using as well. Using the VIN you can also research the history of the vehicle, and using this and other internet sites you can research the specific RV for problems and available solutions. 

====================

My two biggest concerns with a used coach are water damage and the chassis/engine. If it passes along with no known endemic unsolvable problems for that specific coach, the rest can be taken care of with upgrades and repairs...just kick the Sxxx out of it. 

Rodger S. 

Note: alternative choices: $62,395 buys a  2017 Jaguar F-type - sports car purity and performance in a pretty Jaguar. 

Or the new F-type SVR, which raises output of the F-type R’s 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 to 575 horsepower,

the price to $126,945, and top-speed potential to 200 mph, making this the hottest street Jaguar ever. 

Quick, precise, and supermodel gorgeous.

So what is your point Rodger? What does the cost of a Jag have to do with buying an older RV? I could buy a new Bentley Bentayga for a toad but what does that have to do with financing a 10 year old or older coach?

Bill