Sign in to follow this  
astmi

Flat Towing F150

I own an F150 2014 (Harley Davidson Edition). Yhe owner's manual says it can't be towed 4 wheels down.  FMCA guide says YES but do not mention the Harley Davidson Edition.

Who's right ?

If you have the 4 wheel drive and the switch on the dash to engage 4 wheel mode, the owners manual says switch from 2 wheel mode to 4 wheel mode 5 times in seven seconds and you will see a message on the display that it is in neutral mode.

Herman, Ford changes often. I just bought a 2016 Ford Escape, front wheel dr., cant be towed 4 down more than 50 miles in neutral, not over 50 mph. So I will still be using my dolly. I looked at the 2014 model and almost bought one, it could be towed 4 down.

Herman,

We just changed our toad from Jeep Grand Cherokee to Ford F150 2013. Ours is 4 wheel drive and has the 4 down tow info in the manual. The dealer told me it started in 2011 and as far as he knows, all the 150s with 4 wheel drive has it. Sure makes it easy to hookup and go!!!

Herman,

True story on the newer F-150s (4x4).  We're looking for another toad and were at dealer today.  Although we didn't switch the test truck into "tow" mode the salesman parroted exactly what Gaylemarlow described above.  We'll certainly test this out if we decide on the F-150.  It used to be that you had to order (F-250 anyway) the manual shift transfer case to be able to tow four down.

ASTMI,

Is your Harley Edition 4X4?

Blake

As described above, 2012 and later F150s have the ability to place the transfer case in neutral by switching from 2WD to 4Low five times.  This was introduced in 2012.  I had 2011 and could not flat tow it so traded to a 2012.

Lenp