Sign in to follow this  
Buffy23

Cell Phone

I am looking for information on cell phone providers. I am Canadian and find the American plans available to Canadian users very expensive. I would appreciate suggestions on the best plan for phone in Florida for the winter with a long-distance plan attached for Canadian calling.

Hi Buffy23.

My assumption is when you get to Florida, you stay in one place for the winter. If this is true and you have high-speed Internet access, consider the Magic Jack. to http://www.magicjack.com/4/index.asp and read about the product. I've use the MJ since it became available. I see no difference in quality of service vs a land line. It is much better in quality of service than a cell phone. I just renewed for five years for $60. That is 1 dollar a month. You get your own phone number (your choice) and all calls in USA and Canada are no additional charge.

You are correct that it can cost a lot to use your cell phone down here. Same for US citizens heading up north or down to Mexico.

Base your decision on how many minutes you need per day or month.

I like the idea of Magic Jack, too. However, that ties you to a computer and requires a fast Internet connection.

Skype is another alternative that enables you to make free calls from your computer to another Skype user anywhere in the world. You can also call land-line phones inexpensively.

If you need a cell phone, there are plenty of inexpensive pay-as-you-go phones. These do not tie you into a contract. All the major cellular providers have some kind of plan. Boost Mobile is 10 cents a minute to Canada. http://plans.boostmobile.com/paygo.aspx#

Jim Guld

www.geeksontour.com