Anyone have a good suggestion for a convertible to tow, preferably rag-top as opposed to hard shell?

Four-down towables in this class are extremely hard to identify.  My "secondary user" Chris would love to tow her 2008 Mazda Miata manual rear-drive, but none of the towing guides list it, and there are no off-the-shelf baseplates for it.  However, Blue Ox offered to fabricate one if she would drive the car to Nebraska (from Philadelphia) for fitting...argggh.  

The Mitsubishi Eclipse looks like a good substitute...and at least one baseplate has been found for it...but likewise, no Mitsubishi vehicles show up in any towing guide.  

She has heard sporadic anecdotes of people successfully towing Mazda Miata manuals - but with no baseplates on the market, no listing in towing guides, and no support in the owners manual - one has to wonder if it makes sense to try it.

Suggestions/comments welcome for good rag-top dinghies!

Thanks,

Eric 

Eric,

I memory serves me, the Miata is a rear wheel drive. Contact Remco and see if they have or can make a Drive Shaft disconnect. A drive shaft disconnect on any vehicle will allow the unit to be towed whether standard or automatic. There are several other tow bar manufacturers that may be able to fabricate you base plates. 

remcotowing.com     763-253-4757 

Herman

Well I happen to own a SAAB rag top and I will tell you that they are tow-able on a Dolly but not flat. Bellow is a Picture of our SAAB Story. I will tow it on a dolly and its not to bad of a car. 

The Miata is rear wheel and that Will require a shaft disconnect. BMW and Mercedes are potentially Dolly Tow-able if they are front wheel drive. The Eclipse are not flat tow able but I cant remember the reason why off the top of my head. 

Jeep Wranglers are the all around favorite four wheel down from everyone I see. unfortunately they are expensive compared to everything you mentioned.  Your best bet is dolly tow a front wheel drive drop top  --- or spend 8K on a used Wrangler. 

#Sorry

2016-05-24 (6).jpg