wirite

Flat tow 2016 Smart Automatic (DCT)

After delivery of my new 2016 Smart I noted that the manual prohibits flat towing the unit in excess of 30mph for a max distance of 30 miles.. I called the dealer, who had told me prior to the sale that flat towing was no problem, and asked him to clarify the manual statement and asked for a cancellation of the sale and reimbursement of money.

After some extensive correspondence with the dealer, the US Mercedes rep. and the factory, I received the following Email.

"Subject: RE: The Owners Manual provided with my 2016 Smart car states that one should not... [Incident: 160702-000009]

Gentlemen,

I just received the following from Product Management:

this is an ongoing topic. The bad news: it is correct that the current owners manual states that the smart fortwo can only be towed in emergencies (the 30 miles).

The good news: we have received confirmation/approval from Germany that the smart fortwo CAN be flat-towed over longer distances (like behind an RV). Germany is currently working on the exact wording for the owners manual and the instructions, which we expect by the end of this month. Important: the car needs a DCT – the manual das not work. Is that the case for this customer?

If so, he can use his car for towing and it will be fine. More information to follow very soon – we will send around communication once we have received the final instructions by Germany."

Unquote

wirite,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please keep us posted on their formal responses to this. Sounds like the current answer is "light years" from what is in the manual. 

Hope it works out as you hope.

In the reply, they said " manual das not work. "  Are they taking about manual transmission or owners manual???

Dear smart Dealer Partners,
We are excited to confirm the approval of MY2016 and MY2017 smart fortwo flat-towing capabilities. Model Year 2016 and 2017 smart fortwo ICE coupes and cabrios equipped with the twinamic Dual-Clutch Automatic Transmission may be flat-towed behind other vehicles such as Recreational Vehicles, moving trucks, etc. This approval applies to all Model Year 2016 and 2017 smart fortwo ICE coupes and cabrios with the DCT transmission, regardless of production date. Updates to the owner’s manuals are in development.

DISCLAIMER: MY2016 and MY2017 smart fortwo models with the standard 5-speed manual transmission and smart electric coupes and cabrios are not approved for flat-towing.

Detailed instructions accompany this announcement, but will remain posted on the smart fortwo Dealer Ordering Guide home page for future reference. For more information, please contact your Sales Operation Manager or After-Sales Operations Manager.
We hope you share our excitement for this newly communicated capability