bobandjoycerv

Cummins 450 Starter Or Solenoid Issues

Having trouble at times starting.

Sometimes goes right off and other times click click them off it goes. I am thinking solenoid but notice the whole starter needs to be removed.

Can the solenoid be repaired or does it need a new one?

1997 Monaco with Cummins M11 450 Engine serial # 34848467

Bob,

Yes starter solenoids can be repaired and or replaced. It is a bit simpler to pull the starter but can be done without doing so. When you open the solenoid you will find a copper plate and lugs. Both might be burnt and should be cleaned. In 90% of the cases that will be the problem.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Herman 

How old are batteries?  Are they acid or AGM?  If acid, when was the last time you checked the level? have you checked the connections off the switch?   If all that's ok, then I would suspect, starter Solenoid.

Carl

I am sure it was Herman that recommended taking it apart and cleaning it, adding dielectric grease to contacts.....maybe before it fails so it will last longer. :huh:

I will have to wait for him to chime in. I remember reading a post on it before.

found it;

Joe,

When you do pull your starter open up the solenoid. Check and clean all contact points. Easily done with the starter out and my prevent starting problems down the road.

Herman, can you elaborate on this?

Nope, just setting in front of fans in the shop, trying to cool off

Joe, as I'm sure you are aware of, the solenoid on top of a starter has several functions. When power is sent to the starter by turning the key, a magnet will move a plunger. Which engages the starter bendix and connects the power to turn the starter motor and disconnects the power to the accessories momentarily. When the key is released the solenoid will disengage the bendix and release the power to the starter motor and reconnect power to the accessories. 

All of this is done by the movement of the copper plate by the plunger.. The lugs and plate arc each time contact is made and need to be cleaned or replaced.

This is very clear in my mind and I hope I have conveyed it clearly to you.

Herman