wildebill308

Outside Mirror Vibrating Badly!

Why is the mirror vibrating so bad I can't see behind me? All the screws are striped and the threads are rusted off. Yes I said screws. Who would use just wood screws to mount a major component like the rearview mirror? Ok I know I am a little critical because I come from an aerospace background and can't imagine some of the things I have seen in RV construction. 

So for a temporary repair I put some larger screws screws back in till I get home (out back of Zion today)  where I will do a more permanent and more robust repair.

If your mirrors are vibrating you probably have a similar problem. 

Bill

Bill,

Generally the vibration source like that on a car is an indication that a wheel balance is in order. Or you might have a bad shock!

As for the repair of the mirror mount. The back of them is accessible on my coach. I went down an bought some "flat Nuts" they are made from spring steel and take the type of thread like on your current fasteners

Bill Edwards

No problem with shocks or wheel balance, Just lots of rough roads. That and there weren't much in the way of threads left on the screws (I am talking wood screws). I will probably fab some aluminum plates with nutplates when I get home.

I thought it might have screws with some kind of nut on the back. I tryed to tighten them but they were striped and woulden't tighten. Did I mention they were just cheap wood screws, to hold the heavy mirrors. :angry:

Bill

Bill,

If you can access the mounting area from the back, I would do just as you said. Make a mounting plate and use S/S bolts. You might also, if space allows put a backing board in that has much wider surface than the mirror base. This should help stop the flex in the fiberglass.

Herman 

It is interesting that the right side that has a much longer arm doesn't vibrate or bounce around. I will see how my temp repair does tomorrow.

Bill