john_harris

Travel Across Texas Panhandle

Question

DW and I will be headed across Texas panhandle along I-40 in September. While on the road, we prefer to overnight in rest areas as I like to drive into the night and hit road early if we are simply trying to get cross country. I have heard and read about Van Horn, Texas to the south. Any similar issues in the Amarillo area?

15 answers to this question

On Hwy 287 going to Amarillo there are two really nice rest areas. One is east of Childress and another west of Childress.

Don't laugh, but when you get out and go to the fatalities there are two signs. One tells you that the buildings are storm shelters and the other warns you to beware of rattle snakes.

Also there is a Wal-Mart in Childress that has an area marked for Rv's and trucks. Plus several good places to eat.

I say that tounge in cheek since it has been years since I stayed in Childress for work.

Herman 

I just read the tread and it makes sense to me...but the OP's question had to do with I-40 and I-10 "Rest Area", has nothing to do with a City Ordinance or State!  It's an Interstate Freeway built by and maintained by Federal Funding....I never have had a problem, as long as I'm not there for more than 8 hours and I do not put my slides out or Jacks  down. if that is what you do...then pay the $$$ for a Camp Ground.

I have also, those I prefer, stayed at closed inspection stations...never been bothered, well away from highway, quite and you get a drive by visit from a State Trooper or Sheriff.  Nice! 

Ah.....thanks Brett.  That clarifies for me.  We encountered a pretty severe hail storm close to Van Horn last fall and had to pull in to make minor repairs and assess damage.  But, we did find a campground to stay at.  Owners were nice and cordial and our Passport of America discount afforded us a $15/night stay.

Blake

Every time we have crossed the panhandle I eat at the Big Texan and stay at the CG down the street. I do agree, when we're at a CG the departure is always later. 

You want excellent beef in Amarillo.  Coyote Bluff Café, Hoffbrau Steak House, Embers Steak house...Big Tex is a tourist trap, you will not find locals spending money on choice beef.  The foremention has prime, aged beef!

Also for good food, try the restaurant in the basement of the Police Dept.  Excellent Tex-Mex and steak!

Carl    

On 8/8/2016 at 11:05 AM, John_Harris said:

DW and I will be headed across Texas panhandle along I-40 in September. While on the road, we prefer to overnight in rest areas as I like to drive into the night and hit road early if we are simply trying to get cross country. I have heard and read about Van Horn, Texas to the south. Any similar issues in the Amarillo area?

Why? Ok,you must still be working. I have a motto, on the road by 9 off by 4 for happy hour. I no longer drive like I used to. I don't care if going across country or to south Texas. It has just taken 58 days to get to California From Texas.:lol::lol:

Bill

Bill, you'll get no argument from me!  Marathon drive will never cross my path again...:lol:  I'm out by 10am and in, hooked up by 4:30pm, then HH.:D

Carl

Wildbill,

58 days to get from Texas to California. Just remind folks that 56 of those days are just to get through TEXAS.:rolleyes:

When the heat is as bad as it has been this summer, we try to get back on the road by at least 6 AM. and stop around noon. Just can't take the heat much anymore.:o

Traffic is less that time also.

Herman

On 8/8/2016 at 10:05 AM, John_Harris said:

John,

I have not heard of any situations similar to Van Horn in the rest of Texas.  I talked to a lady at the Van Horn Chamber of Commerce in December 2011 about the ordinance and they were trying to get it changed but I have not heard anything since that time.  I understand that the City Manager stated to someone else in a phone conversation that "RV Park owners were calling and screaming at her to enforce the ordinance" - http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25316430/print/true.cfm

I have had no personal experience with this type of situation anywhere in our travels but I make it a point to not stop for anything in Van Horn as they evidently have an attitude toward RVers.  After reading the following in their local newspaper, evidently nothing has changed in their attitudes.

https://thevanhornadvocate.com/2016/04/21/new-ordinance-regarding-rvs-outside-city-limits/

In our travels, we have learned to slow down and enjoy the trip.  We have a goal of 300 miles or 6 hours in a day and plan our stops accordingly.  Enjoy your trip.

16 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Wildbill,

58 days to get from Texas to California. Just remind folks that 56 of those days are just to get through TEXAS.:rolleyes:

When the heat is as bad as it has been this summer, we try to get back on the road by at least 6 AM. and stop around noon. Just can't take the heat much anymore.:o

Traffic is less that time also.

Herman

Well Herman I will show you the route at 6 state but basically we drove like we were following a drunk longhorne.:P 

Bill

On 8/15/2016 at 7:44 PM, Manholt said:

You want excellent beef in Amarillo.  Coyote Bluff Café, Hoffbrau Steak House, Embers Steak house...Big Tex is a tourist trap, you will not find locals spending money on choice beef.  The foremention has prime, aged beef!

Also for good food, try the restaurant in the basement of the Police Dept.  Excellent Tex-Mex and steak!

Carl    

Carl, the entertainment value is worth the stop at The Big Texan. There are always someone on the raised stage/dining area trying to eat the big steak. True it isn't "prime" but not that bad.

Bill