Sign in to follow this  
Cmjretired

Towing 2004 F-150 Lariat 4x4

I have been desperately trying to get information on what I need to do to tow my 2004 F-150 Lariat 4x4 Auto with Dash switch for 2HI 4HI and 4Low , Everyone wants to be generic. I need to be specific to my vehicle. I have been to the Ford dealer, all they want is money just to talk to you, No help! Or they just say "can't be done" first off. I have seen posts for a Neutral switch but can't find one for my vehicle, Just too many posts to list but none of them are for my specific year and model. Some say I have to get a Driveshaft Disconnect, Some say it won't work.
Needless to say I'm getting frustrated. Does anyone really know what I can do?
Can anyone help?
I want to get on the road and am stuck here cuz I can't tow!
HELP!!!banghead.gif

Cm, 

Try contacting a Ford dealers parts department. Ask the parts man for a transfer case neutral switch kit.

There is a kit, you just have to get to the right person.

Good luck.

Herman 

I have a feeling you may be out of luck.    Go to Remco at http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

For your vehicle they state:

2004 Ford F-150 ALL 4WD V8 5.4L cyl 4-Speed Automatic 4R70W/4R75W 

Notes

• Vehicle's with a Manual Shift transfer case can be flat towed. Electronic Shift-On-the Fly 4WD transfer cases cannot be flat towed without a Drive Shaft Coupling. For vehicles with Manual transfer case, shift transmission into NEUTRAL and shift manual transfer case into NEUTRAL before flat towing.
  • The center disconnect must be locked out by capping off one of the front-axle vacuum motor lines for the Manual Transfer Case vehicles. See dealer for assistance.

Good luck.

GR

The above tells me that it (automatic) can be flat towed, with a Drive Shaft Coupling.  The rest only applies to Manual....or did I read that wrong?

Unfortunately, Remco no longer supplies driveshaft disconnects, but they will direct you to another source that will cater to your needs.

The F 150s with the electronic transfer case cannot be flat towed. The auto locking hubs that are equipped on these trucks require engine vacuum to remain in the unlocked position.The use of a drive shaft disconnect if one can be found won't unlock the front driveshaft.  I have towed my 04 F 150 several times by disconnecting both front and rear driveshafts. Which is not a fun thing to do. Only reason I did it that way is I wanted a 4 wheel drive vehicle to use where I was going. Also I have found through experience with auto locking hubs they don't hold a vacuum very well so I wouldn't try pinching of the vacuum lines while engine is running just to get them to free wheel  

Now, this is right out of left field.    Contact Ford and ask them if this would work.

First you have baseplates installed.    

When towing you put the transfer case into 2WD.  You then place the transmission in Neutral.   Finally - YOU LEAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING.

Maybe Ford can tell you if that will work and not damage the transmission.

I know someone who claims to have towed a Chev Van (Front WD) to Florida behind a 40 ft DP.   I immediately said, "that is not towable." He said sure it is, you just put it in neutral and leave the engine running  (for about 24 hours total over 3 days for his trip).    Interesting point - he and his family owned a Chev Caddy dealership  (which they still have). 

A shot in the dark but who knows, it might work.  

GR