Sign in to follow this  
beford

Ammonia Smell In Fridge After Rupture

We had to replace cooling unit and the ammonia smell remains.

I have used baking soda and vinegar wash to no avail.  

Please help me with some ideas.

2 hours ago, beford said:

We had to replace cooling unit and the ammonia smell remains.

I have used baking soda and vinegar wash to no avail.  

Please help me with some ideas.

If you are parked, place an open box of baking soda behind the refrigerator-make a note for the dash to remind you to remove it when driving. It will slowly help to remove the smell when setting. Also place a box in side the fridge and freezer and leave them for a week or two.

It will take some time for the smell to dissipate. If your new cooling unit has fans, some of the smell will be vented out the top, but not quickly.

The smell hangs around just like the shrunk smell though.

Rich.

Cat litter and charcoal in a throw away aluminum pie dish.  ground coffee will also work, change every 12 hrs. have a drink or some wine and relax! :rolleyes:

beford,

There is another ole time trick for removing odors from enclosed spaces. Raw White onions. Just cut them in half put slices over the tops of each half. Put them on a paper plate in the refrigerate for several days. you may change them several times, but they will absorb the odors. (I would not suggest eating the onions afterwards)

beford, Yea, you can use it, just cover food....Oh.  Forget Ice for a while, just shut off water to fridge. won't hurt you but it has a yuk taste!