BillAdams

Looking for Michelin 12R 22.5 Tires

I know that very few of us still need and use this size tire but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how I might be able to get some in the Houston, TX area.

I have been working with TCI here in Houston but they claim they are on national backorder and they are not available anywhere.  It has been more than a month and I am still hearing a couple of weeks more.  Maybe I should move away from Michelin as my existing 5 year old Michelins sidewalls are cracking badly and they scare the heck out of all the techs at Prevost and other service centers.

Just to save a bit of time and effort, please don't tell me I should go metric.  I know what my options are and with my old coach the best option remains 12R tires.

Have only 2 thoughts, check with Cummins South Plains, loop 610E, Houston or call Prevost in Dallas, also Marathon in Dallas.  That's 3...

Brett or Blake may know more, also Wild Bill and Wayne.  Now you got all Texans...OOp's, forgot Herman.! 

Carl

Ok I just need to ask "please don't tell me I should go metric" ? What is your thoughts that drive this. I don't care what method is used to measure as long as the tire is the right diameter and load range.;)

Bill

I replaced two, two years ago with sumitomo on steers, then two more this spring, I could not tell any ride or steer difference over the Goodyears replaced, they are 12 X 22.5.

I had Goodyears and the Michelins are substantially better so I think I will stick with Michelin.  I tried Prevost in Dallas and they can't get them.  They told me to call TCI tire and see if they could get them.  TCI claims they are on order.

As to metric, there is no exact replacement and the one that's the closest is too wide to be installed on the rear duals as they are just that much wider that they would touch.  I would need different wheels to allow better separation.

Bill, we have a national account with Michelin at work. I just emailed my rep and left her a message to see if she could intervene and make something happen. Not sure if she can help but I figured it was worth a shot. When I hear back I will let you know.

That is not an uncommon size at all, I'm rather surprised you are having difficulty locating them. We run them on the steer axles on quite a few trucks in the North East.

Safe to assume you want an XZE tread for the steer?

Bill, just got a return phone call. She is placing a few calls to see what is in inventory down that way and maybe make something happen. I did learn something interesting. Michelin owns BF Goodrich, the tires are the same, made in the same plant just branded different. Food for thought if you wanted to go that route, I am certainly looking into that for an option for me down the road.

Yes, XZE is what I am looking for.  I have XZE on all 8.  Just looking for 2 for now.  The tires are only 5 years old but the sidewalls are cracking and I am going to move the front to the tag and put fresh fronts on.  I should have said that I had Goodrich years back, not Goodyear (sorry kaypsmith).  It was at least 5 years ago so I wonder if that's a new change as the difference was noticeable.  Maybe it was the mounting or balancing that was better.  Can't say.

41 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Bill got you covered.

Laporte Tire service, 11011 W Fairmont Pkwy, La Porte, TX 77571

Has them at their warehouse, can have them this afternoon, call Cliff at 281-471-3541

Michelin product code 85335

here is the tire;

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/selector/#!/info/xze

Bill, I live 21 miles from LaPorte Tire (when I'm not traveling) and I have used them for replacement tires.  Cliff is very easy to work with. I believe they have a Michelin National Account and I used the FMCA program once.  Last year there were no Michelin in  any ones inventory so I switched to the TOYO M154.

Bill, just received 8 new 12R 22.5 Michelin XZE. Were on backorder for several months. Date codes were 2916, only 3 weeks old. Mine were bought in Grand Junction CO. I believe they are back in production now! Hope this helps in your search for new tires! Frank B.

Thanks to everyone.  I am still stuck in Dallas at the Prevost service center who just can't seem to get my coach fixed.  Now ordering parts from Canada over night (with customs that 2-3 days plus the weekend) in hopes they have found the problem.  I will call TCI and let them know that Frank just got his tires and maybe they will have some good news for me.  If they can't help I will give LaPorte Tire a call tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their help.  Armed with the information here I called TCI tire here in Houston and sure enough, they have gotten 4 12R 22.5's in and were on the shelf.  I ordered my Centramatics from someone on E-Bay and today we had everything installed.  It turns out the tires were older than I thought (4/10) so I replaced the steer and tag and I will replace the 4 drive tires when I recover from this bill (6 months maybe?).

I am not sure of the exact savings at this point but I do know the FMCA pricing is better than what I could find elsewhere.  I think I will save about $500 on the 4 tires but at $660/tire +++ it's still a pretty big hit!

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their help.  Armed with the information here I called TCI tire here in Houston and sure enough, they have gotten 4 12R 22.5's in and were on the shelf.  I ordered my Centramatics from someone on E-Bay and today we had everything installed.  It turns out the tires were older than I thought (4/10) so I replaced the steer and tag and I will replace the 4 drive tires when I recover from this bill (6 months maybe?).

I am not sure of the exact savings at this point but I do know the FMCA pricing is better than what I could find elsewhere.  I think I will save about $500 on the 4 tires but at $660/tire +++ it's still a pretty big hit!

Lets hope you got your coach fixed too.

Bill

On 8/29/2016 at 5:17 PM, BillAdams said:

...  I think I will save about $500 on the 4 tires but at $660/tire +++ it's still a pretty big hit!...

In May 2015 our former coach had a RF blow out on I 55 south of Chicago.  Our Michelin 295/80 R22.5 replacement was $800...I guess we were a captive audience.

No, after the +++ (installation, valve stems, disposal fees, shop supplies, feed the hungry fund, silly stuff we add on for no reason and the "we installed in the rain" fee, it will likely still be $800!  We had Prevost install 8 new tires 6 years ago and it was a bit over $6000 so very close to $800/tire.  I will post here when I see the actual invoice which comes from Michelin and not the dealer.

So, the final invoice from Michelin was $3100 for 4 tires!  The invoice shows that is a savings of $652.  That still comes out to $775 per tire.  I sure hope my drive tires hang in there for awhile.  Not sure when I will be ready to spend another $3100 to replace them.

Curious minds want to know if the savings are off the suggested retail price or off the actual dealer's selling price? I don't think I would like not having a firm price before doing the deal. 

Bill

Bill,

On FMCA's program there is a price list that is used. The only thing the installing dealer get is the cost of mounting and balance. You pay for that directly to them. By then you have already paid Michelin for the tires. If there is any compensation between Michelin and the dealer that is between them. I started the process with the program but decided to go with the Goodyear G-670s. I had no problems with them and just decided to stay with them. There was a cost savings between the Goodyear's and the Michelin Program price.

Herman

I had the tire pricing in advance and I paid no one directly or in advance.  I was invoiced by Michelin AFTER the installation including the dealers installation costs.  One invoice for everything.

I will definitely be pricing BF Goodrich before replacing the drive tires.

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

I had the tire pricing in advance and I paid no one directly or in advance.  I was invoiced by Michelin AFTER the installation including the dealers installation costs.  One invoice for everything.

I will definitely be pricing BF Goodrich before replacing the drive tires.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I agree with Herman there are tiers that will work just as good as Michelin at a lower price than the "special price" on the program. 

Bill