ccmsm

Class F License South Carolina

I am required to get a class F license to drive my over 26,000 lb coach in SC. It is a class F here. I passed the written [computer] part with no problem. Today I attempted to pass the driving part. The first thing I had to do was to stop the front of the coach between 2 white lines that are 18" apart. I was not allowed to lean up to look over the dash or look out the drivers side window. I missed it by about 3 ft. That ended the test and I have to wait 7 days to try again. No body has ever accused me of being smart but I was really surprised that I missed it that much. Do y'all know of any trick I can use to get closer. The beginners permit I have is good for a year so I told my wife it I can't pass it after 52 times we will have to move to another state. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.    ccmsm

Was your stop short or long?  In a practice zone, you should place two lines 18" apart, you could use white spray paint if ok with owner, or if not, use masking tape, to duplicate the test lines. Make yourself a marker pole out of pvc pipe or a 2X4 placed in a bucket of earth to holt straight up. Place the marker in the center of the two lines and to the left slightly of where you should stop the coach. Then you can practice stopping the coach at that exact spot several times while focusing your eyes on the two white lines and the marker pole at the same time. You can do this going forward, then backing back to that exact same spot and stopping in both directions. This will make you aware of where the front end of the coach in relation to your driving habits. Also invite the DW or a friend to watch the first few times and use walkie talkies or cell phones to help communicate, you do not have to talk back to her or him during the exercise. This should help in your perception of where the front end is at all times. The test is probably not designed to make sure of where you are stopping necessarily, but your ability to understand how much is ahead of you while driving down the road. Good luck with honing in on your skills, and with passing the test. Hope this is helpful. Kay

Every ones front is different, based on year, Manufacturer and Mode.  So, what do you have?  Also, can you take the driving test in another location?  Get it set up for as close to noon as possible!

Carl

Yep Carl, if the shadow is straight up and down makes it easier but hardly anyone is driving or testing between 11:30 and 12:30, that is lunch time.:D

Actually it was close to 12 when I was there today. My coach is a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E. I stopped about 3 ft short of the line. The test facility is about 35 miles from here so I plan to go back Sunday to practice. There are other test locations but I would think they would all be the same.   ccmsm

I'm just thinking out loud here, but would a piece of "inconspicuous" tape on the windshield be a possible solution? When the tape reaches the outer line you would still need to judge 9 more inches.  Like I said, just thinking out loud.

What I was thinking, or use the edge of the front windshield, driver side....Been a lot easier, had they wanted the wheel, between the lines!  Maybe that's step 2? :rolleyes:

As Kay said...practice makes perfect...whether they make you do it next test or not, you really should know, where your front and sides are, instinctively all the time! :P

Luck

Carl

I don't know where your mirrors are located, but mine are almost in line with the front edge of the front bumper, I use mine as a reference point. I think that it is better that you stopped short of the lines, will be much easier to get used to stopping right on, at driving classes they always use those orange cones for reference points, even though they are not there in real life situations, this is why I suggest using a reference point for practice purposes.

Interesting, Did they make you perform an air brake system check or will they require it? That has always been the hardest for most to grasp. Well that and after you go under a bridge and they ask you what that bridge clearance back there was :blink:, that is the face I made and guessed it, got lucky on that guess :lol:.

PA is a Class B NON Commercial (as long as you are towing less than 10,000lbs if more you need a Class A non commercial). Everything is the same as the commercial although they seem to be more relaxed and forgiving on non commercial.

I was required to do the air brake to check the system but she sat there and lead me through each step. That was just to check to make sure they were working. I seem to remember someone told me about putting a dot or more than one dot on the windshield. I don't remember where to put the dots. I think they learned that at the lazy days driver course in tampa.    ccmsm 

If your Fleetwood is anything like mine, you have several feet of area you can't see in front. So stopping between 18" of lines is guess work. I do know that the frontmost point on my Excursion is the windshield wipers. Pretty much straight down from there. However that doesn't help when you can't see the lines. Sit in the driver's chair as normal and have someone slowly walk away from your motorhome while you watch for their feet. When you see their feet, have them stop. Then measure the distance from your motorhome front to their feet. That'll give you an idea of your front blind spot. You might be surprised.