Sign in to follow this  
donfrana

1978 King's Highway 29 On Dodge 400 Chassis

My 1978 King's Highway, class a, had a manual master transfer switch to select generator or alternating current for power source.  This unit has bit the dust and I am searching for a suitable replacement. 

Existing unit was a dpdt 45 amp as best that I can determine.  The generator is an Onan 6500 and the ac line is 110 and 20 amps. 

I am considering a Bryant 3025 brown and would appreciate your input/warnings/etc.

Thanks

Donald

Donald.  Welcome to the Forum!

WOW !  A '78 KH, have not seen one in years and it's always nice to hear that someone still run and appreciate the older coaches! :)

My suggestion for you, call Cummins Tech. Dept., Cummins owns Onan...I would start with Cummins Custom Care Div. Headquarter in Atlanta, GA.  The CCD does all things Motor Home, gas or diesel.

Whatever you do, stay away from Camping World !

Carl

donfrana,

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You said you have a Onan 6500 (that is, it produces 6500 watts).  6500 watts divided by 120 volts= 54 amps.

Though I have not worked on any of that vintage, you need to verify how it is breakered/wired.  Newer ones (early 1990's) had TWO on-generator breakers.

Also depends on how your coach is wired-- if 50 amp, one breaker would feed hot L1, the other L2.

If 30 amp coach, only one hot.

Many boats use the same manual transfer switches.  They are much more robust than the switch you mentioned.

Here is one: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|2290051|2290059&id=839597

I worked on many of the motorhomes of that era.  I believe for a 29 foot coach you have a Dodge M600 chassis and a Dodge 440-3 engine.  That was the time the automatic transfer switches started showing up.  If you want to replace the manual switch, check with salvage yards.  I have seen them from time to time.