rsbilledwards

Air Bag Fails To Fully Inflate

The left front 2 air bags fail to fully inflate. They do inflate to the point they are tight and support the coach but not full enough to rise up on the hat that additional 1 3/4 or 2 inchesthe others do. As a result it looks like the coach leans left a bit, it does.

What am I looking for. I will assume at this point there is a method to adjust this. There is not an audible sign of a leak though it does settle back and there apparently are some I am looking for today.

I bought some leak detector at Home Depot yesterday for this search task. The coach in question is the 1999 455 Safari Panther (09/98 production date)

Thanks

Bill Edwards

Bill,

No first hand information on your coach, but here is what you need to find out:

Number and placement of RIDE HEIGHT VALVES. The vast majority of coaches with air suspension have 3 ride height valves. Generally (not always), two on rear axle and one in front.

RIDE HEIGHT SPEC for your chassis.  May find that information on a Safari-specific forum or site.

Then, with proper safety stands in place, on flat ground, air system filled, adjust the ride height.  Start with the axle with the two ride height valves.

Absolutely, there could be something else going on here, but this is certainly the place to start.

Keep us posted on what you find and we can help.

Brett,

Can I assume the ride height the same as the velvet ride coaches? It does have two valves on the back axel. I have not checked the front.  This problem only relates to the one side on the front not both. If only one valve on the front I assume it will affect both sets on the front...right?

Bill E.

Bill, one valve controls all front bags if that is how yours is designed. since most leveling valves only have a line in and a line out. Do you have air leveling? If so I suspect that is where your problem is. I have a manifold on the right side of the coach in the back portion behind the front axle with solenoids that controls all 4 corners If you have air leveling call whom ever made the system. Hopefully it's HWH, their tech support is amazing.

if air leveling can you manually raise that side with the controls?

Bill,

No, I do not know if ride height is the same for air suspension as with Torsilastic.  VERY different suspensions, but yes, they could be the same ride height dimensions.  Need to verify.

And, as jleamont  said, IF you have air leveling (vs jacks) you could have a stuck or leaking valve/solenoid for that corner.

Bill,

Not a bad thing-- much less complex air system.

So, go through the ride height checks I mentioned above.

Let us know what you find (both how yours is set up and what you find).

1 hour ago, rsbilledwards said:

The left front 2 air bags fail to fully inflate. They do inflate to the point they are tight and support the coach but not full enough to rise up on the hat that additional 1 3/4 or 2 inchesthe others do. As a result it looks like the coach leans left a bit, it does.

What am I looking for. I will assume at this point there is a method to adjust this. There is not an audible sign of a leak though it does settle back and there apparently are some I am looking for today.

I bought some leak detector at Home Depot yesterday for this search task. The coach in question is the 1999 455 Safari Panther (09/98 production date)

Thanks

Bill Edwards

Bill, Could very well be a leak in the left front air bag. The leaks can be on the top or bottom and not in the sides. Rust buildup can puncture the air bags and they are out of sight an tight enough area that getting soppy water between the rubber and frame to see bubbles is not so easy and if one is bad you might just as well replace both at the same time.

Is the air compressor always running or will it cycle?

Rich.

Bill 8 bag system....correct? Or did I miss read?

crawl under after you safely support it. Nose around and see how it all works. Report back what you find. Bring a spray bottle with soapy water along.

J,

Yes eight airbags 2 each corner. Problem is both bags left front corner and no audible sign of a leak on that corner. Yes I have a leak detecting bubble solution.

Also no rust that I have noticed as suggested. I am getting that breakfast dose ready to sort it out.

Bill Edwards

Bill, I'm a little slow, but I did have an air issue that I missed for a time.

The air supply (braided line) between the air compressor and the drier had a sneaky leak and when that was replaced the air ride system worked much better.  After resetting the ride height with a good steady supply of air. I had replaced all the air bags because they where very stiff and cracked. The ride was much better,,but still lazy.

Rich. 

I suspect that if that line had a hole in it the entire system would be affected not just one corner. System pressure is 90 PSI. This coach is not yet (notice yet) equipped with a drier, I have one ready to install later this fall. It does not have air brakes but does have a two stage tank. All looks good under there in front. Perhaps it has something to do with the single valve itself up front. It goes to both front corners from that point. Ride height looks good, 25 inches 3 corners. There is zero rust/corrosion. I do not like the way this coach settles on the bags as they do not roll down nicely, Some of them are ugly suggesting trouble down the road. I'm with you the replacement, so will buy a couple at a time and have as spares till winter and in Arizona what I will change them. Air pump is continuous and engine driven.

BillE 

Bill so there is a T at the leveling valve to distribute air evenly to both sides? If that's the case I would start looking closer at the bags, maybe pull them and physically inspect them. Could also be a problem with the air line connection collapsing on one so the other is carrying more of the weight. I also have an 8 bag chassis, I'm assuming yours is similar, I found replacement bags cheap on the web. If I find the link I will post it. If you dig around I did post it before on here.

J,

Yes T at valve to both sides. It is both bags on one corner of the front. Yes I have seen them on line and thought $136 per was probably pretty reasonable. Goodyear air bags 8 or 10 inch I suspect. You may have a point on making a change. It does not look complicated at all, three or four bolts and the airline.

Thanks

BillE

Bill E.  Do you have the same chassis and air system on the 01' Zanzibar?  If you do, pull 2 bags and try them on the 99', if it works, you need new bags, if not...another problem!

Carl

Bill, is the hose rubber or plastic? If rubber look closely at it, consider replacing. If plastic just pull the bags. Rubber could be partially blocked, just a thought. If you have the hula skirt type of protectors in front of them and you find them on the web send me the link, mine are thinning and need to be replaced.

Found new bags $216 ea at Stengle Bros Inc. 888 433 3149  I will disassemble tomorrow and check air supply. Right side airs up just fine.

BillE

No Kidding it is great...I fired it up yesterday after months of being apart. I will elaborate with detail and with pictures shortly. My hit the road date is fast approaching, September 1. 2016! When Janet cones out to inspect she looks like she is holding her breath. I keep telling her to relax. I won't get everything done I wanted, but heck I have to have something to do this winter in Arizona.

BillE 

New element, do not believe it to be the bags as I just found another valve, two valves in the front one for each side. Access somewhat difficult on this coach as it has a full front plexi-glass armor shield installed and no separation points for top to bottom. Then genset will come out and I find out if that mechanism works and I can crawl in and climb up to see what gives. Schrader Bellows cyclone valve 751 3401 22  Orifice size 3/32  Bet now that it is the valve since it has been idle so long...

BillE

Bill, you will never be done. My DW was mentioning all of the little things she wants to do to ours on the drive today from New Orleans to Tennessee. we've had this coach since May 2014. As I check off the list she adds more :blink:. I guess it's ok, as long as we don't do what we did with the last one, just finished it up paid it off and she wanted to trade it in.