ajshepherd

Shock Guidance

Hi Folks:

I have seen some back and forth on shock guidance and wanted to get your most current opinion/guidance on the best choice.

My steering parts made it into CC Friday, so I will be over the pit tomorrow to get that project underway.  With 65K on the clock, I'm going to assume that replacement shocks may be in order while they are under the bus.  I would like to provide CC guidance or at least see if they are providing me best advice for the shock updates.

The DP is a 45ft Allure 470 with a tag and 500 Cummins, about 47000lbs.  Thanks in advance for the good guidance!

If the shocks do not show any signs oil leaking or other signs that they need replacement I would not replace them.  Are you having issues with proposing, bouncing or extreme side to side movement?

17 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

If the shocks do not show any signs oil leaking or other signs that they need replacement I would not replace them.  Are you having issues with proposing, bouncing or extreme side to side movement?

Hi Bill:

OK, thanks.  Biggest issue was fighting the wheel most of the 2K miles to JC.  I have driven lots of miles and it did not seem like it should be that bad.  My arms would ache after each day!  It did turn out to be a major steering component, so I may not fully know if the shocks were a part of the swaying.

CC has not commented yet on the condition of the shocks, but they should be all over it in the morning.  I guess the good news is the major steering issue has been found (Steering bell) and that's what we were waiting on for three weeks to arrive and get replaced.

They will do a full align and ride height adjustment.  Appreciate your comments!

Tony.

At an FMCA rally, I asked the Bilstein rep about the life of shocks.  He said they should last the life of the coach.  I don't know about that but I've driven a coach with bad shocks and our present coach is fine.  We have 155,000 miles on it now.  As Bill said, if no evidence of failure (leaking bent, etc) they should be fine.

26 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

At an FMCA rally, I asked the Bilstein rep about the life of shocks.  He said they should last the life of the coach.  I don't know about that but I've driven a coach with bad shocks and our present coach is fine.  We have 155,000 miles on it now.  As Bill said, if no evidence of failure (leaking bent, etc) they should be fine.

That's great news. Maybe nothing needed for now. 

At the Suspension Seminar, we cover three things when checking shocks:

Check for leaking (not just damp, but leaking)

Check bushings.

Drive over a parking lot speed bump at normal low speed.  If an axle bounces more than 1.5 times, they are not doing their job.

And, some chassis makers use "less expensive" shocks, some use better ones. Comparing a low end shock with a Koni or Bilstein is indeed apples to oranges.

3 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

At the Suspension Seminar, we cover three things when checking shocks:

Check for leaking (not just damp, but leaking)

Check bushings.

Drive over a parking lot speed bump at normal low speed.  If an axle bounces more than 1.5 times, they are not doing their job.

And, some chassis makers use "less expensive" shocks, some use better ones. Comparing a low end shock with a Koni or Bilstein is indeed apples to oranges.

Ok. Thanks. We are you doing the next seminar?  Sound like I should attend. 

One other thing to check is the bushings on the sway bar. Replacing bad bushings with stiffer polypropylene bushings helped my sway problem.

Bill

2 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

One other thing to check is the bushings on the sway bar. Replacing bad bushings with stiffer polypropylene bushings helped my sway problem.

Bill

Hi Bill. Will do. Thanks!

For me the PORSCHE guy shocks are spelled one way...KONI!  I will admit that there were Bilstines on my previous coach and I pitched them in favor of the KONIs. I have not made that decision on this Panther as I have not driven it enough yet and it has a Goodyear Air ride under it so the Bilstines may get to stay for a while.

Bill Edwards

I have a 2015 22' Thor Freedom Elite Class C, I happen to be under it recently and found that the Shock bushings are all cracked can they be replaced? Or is it the weight of the coach that made them  crack any Idea's would be appreciated.

Roy,

Can they be replaced-- maybe.  You would need to check with your shock manufacturer to see if they are available and what equipment is needed to press them in.

But, from  a practical standpoint, might be a good time to upgrade shocks.

Coach weight (and, yours is toward the very light end of motorhome weights) should have no effect IF, repeat IF you are proper ride height. Yes, if ride height is low, shocks can bottom out and if too high, shocks can take a significant load on extension. Shocks are designed to work over the full length of suspension travel, but not bottom out over bumps or hang an axle from a shock as you "launch" from a big bump.

As Brett stated shocks in general carry ZERO weight in any application they only control bounce or rebound.

Often times the outer face will fracture and the inner where the elemnts can not reach are fine. That said the fact that it is so soon indicates poor rubber quality in general and as Bret said time to upgrade. Rubber formulations these days do not seem as good as many of them produced in the 50 for instance.The chords on electrical hand tools frequently fail these days. In the automotive restoration business, we disassemble everything and replace with new even if an individual component looks good. Often those suspension rubber parts had to be done again because of fracturing like you are referring to only months after replacing.

Manufacturers buy may of these shocks, subsequently a few cents makes a big difference to the bottom line so the less costly the component the better. That is why there is an after market and many upgrade choices. 

Bill Edwards

Roy, what color are your shocks? If they are black those are the factory Ford shocks, I wouldn't replace bushings on them if so. Upgrade to Koni or Bilstein, shop the web for the best pricing. On my C I bought them from Summit Racing, back then their pricing was the best. They were simple to change, didn't even have to jack it and nor did I pull the wheels.