tbernardi

FMCAssist Postings On Facebook

There have been several posts on Facebook recently regarding the FMCAssist program and a seemingly new rule that a motorhome will not be returned to home base after a medical emergency if the unit is more than 10 years old.  Is this just another internet spoof or has there been a change in the policy recently.  Looking at the policy requirements online at FMCA.com there seems to be no indication of this restriction.  Our motorhome is a 2007, built in 2006, so this really concerns me.

Any help appreciated,

Tom 

Tom,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you would email Jon Walker, FMCA National Senior Vice President, he can answer your question.

Jon Walker

F268778

Jon was on top of this program and will answer any and all concerns you may have.

Herman

I just looked at this issue on Facebook.  One individual states that he had spoken to FMCAssist on the phone and was told that a 10 year rule was in effect.  Another person stated " I went to their lecture at the last rally and they said this is bc the professional drivers they hire can not afford a breakdown of older RVs. They lose money. The insurance co will pay the expenses of a family member or friend to get to the RV and pay all expenses the get that individual but to where they came from. So it appears that FMCAssist will pay the expenses but the owner is responsible for finding a driver.  Another states " As is often the case, a lot of confusion arises when only part of an answer is provided. Short answer: FMCAssist does provide for the return of all coaches subject to a $5,000 dollar limit. Contract companies will provide drivers for coaches less than 10 years of age but will not drive older ones. FMCAssist will pay up to the same $5,000 limit for older coaches but the coach owner must make the arrangements for the driver." There is an allowance for air travel to get the driver to the coach, if necessary, as well as coverage for hotel expenses, all of which apply towards the overall $5,000 limit."  Here is a link to the discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=fmcassist

I should have kept reading - this was just posed on Facebook an hour ago:

"A few days ago a discussion developed here that resulted in 27 posts regarding FMCAssist. Some complete information in all of this busy finger activity was MIA. As a result, confusion reigned supreme, ensenuations made, and damage done. Such is regrettable in that feelings were bruised since complete information was lacking. I'm reposting here as a separate thread so the air can be cleared.

FMCAssist does exist as a benefit for members of FMCA. Yes, at some point in time the contracting company with Seven Corners (the underwriter for FMCAssist) did stipulate they would no longer supply drivers for coaches older than ten years of age (chassis build date/completiong of build-out/first date of retail sale). However, FMCAssist will cover the cost of a member-approved driver from his/her domicile to the coach and it's return to the member's home base. If airfare is involved, all flight expenses will be covered.

FMCAssist, however, will not cover cost of repairs in the event any need to be made. This would include towing should the owner not have roadside coverage (which is a separate issue).

I went through an FMCA board member and two FMCA delegates to get to the bottome line on the reported issue (that the benefit had been towally dropped). The 10-year position came about and was announced at the most recent FMCA Family Reunion and Motorhome Showcase. Whether anyone paid attention or read anything about it is also another issue. The company had drivers getting into situations where the coaches, to be driven, were not in good repair. Owners tried to claim "it was running and your driver did something wrong" leaving the company and/or driver to deal with repair, lost time, etc.

Personally, I'd rather have someone I approve of to drive my coach from a remote location to my home base."

I personally see a big problem here - finding a family member or friend who is: 1. Comfortable driving a 40 foot coach from point A to point B and 2.  Is properly licensed to drive that coach.

I received an e-mail from Jon Walker, FMCA National Senior VP:

"As is often the case, a lot of confusion arises when only part of an answer is provided. Short answer: FMCAssist does provide for the return of all coaches subject to a $5,000 dollar limit.  Contract companies will provide drivers for coaches less than 10 years of age but will not drive older ones.  FMCAssist will pay up to the same $5,000 limit for older coaches but the coach owner must make the arrangements for the driver."  There is an allowance for air travel to get the driver to the coach, if necessary, as well as coverage for hotel expenses, all of which apply towards the overall $5,000 limit."

Brett.  I have no problem with any of this.  Very happy that we have FMCAssits to begin with!  Unfortunately, due to human nature, this issue is not going away, anytime soon. :D

At that Six-State Rally,  Jon Walker will have  seminar "FMCAssist & Benefits"

It will be Tuesday at 9:00 to 10:15 AM in the Main Auditorium.

Jon will be happy to take any and all questions. 

He makes very nice presentation.

Herman